What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Once again, I was lucky enough to get a spare N. maxima "Gentle" seeds to trade. I have about about 20-30 seeds (I got 3 seed pods) and I'm looking for seeds of Mexican butterworts, or any tropical CP except D. capensis narrow form.
Please PM me if you are interested.
Thanks.

er Not sure what you mean here... N. maxima is not N. Gentle

Did someone give you these pods or did you have a N. Gentle flower with female flowers?

1. From what I can tell Gentle isn't a registered cultivar.

2. The plants refered to as N. x Gentle or N. "Gentle" or N. 'Gentle' are most likely N. fusca x maxima, there was another theory on the parents, wasn't able to find it off hand.

3. THe picture looks like the plants going by N. x Gentle

Are you sure that it was not pollinated with pollen from another species/hybrid?

Gawd_oOo, I checked out the pic. posted in google and and it looked like N. maxima "gentle" except it's less spotted.

CP2k, I'm sure that it wasn't pollinated with pollen from another species/hybrid. The place I got these seeds had only N. maxima "gentle' in their greenhouse.

N. Gentle is not a cultivar of N. maxima.  N. Gentle is produced by Deroose nursery in the netherlands and is a tissuecultured hybrid grown by the thousands and thousands.  Most likely it is N. fusca x maxima but Deroose will not devulge the parentage on any of their hybrids.

Couple points:
1. Nepenthes seed is quite short lived and should be planted asap.
2. It takes a male and a female plant to make viable Nepenthes seed.  Female plants will flower and form seed pods but unless they are pollinated by a male plant the seed will not contain any embryos capable of germinating.

Not sure if this link will work..
Deroose N. Gentle

Tony

So I might have gotten the wrong info. I will ask them again- people who gave me seeds- and verify
smile.gif

I am not sure, but aren't these TC DeRoose plants single clones, meaning that whatever 'Gentle' is, all those plants are that gender(or do they have multiple clones?)?

Cheers,

Joe

I have two and they are both males. It seems like all of the common TC plants/hybreds are males.

I gave them a querry and I'm waiting for a reply.
They have multiple sex of plants, only they are isolated during pollination, to avoid making a hybrid with unknown origin.

Well, if it turns out they have multiple genders/clones, I think it would be interesting to see if any genetic variabilty is produced from the seed, or if this were to happen in the wild, if it would lead to speciation.

Cheers,

Joe

I got a answer for the querry that I sent couple days ago. I can't copy the exact words they wrote (Since it's in Korean, obviously). They said that they buy Nepenthes from other countries such as US. They also said that N. maxima "Gentle" is a cultivar that a ***** ( They didn't give the name- The place I got seeds- of the company to keep privacy and business going, I guess) had produced and bought couple of them to reproduce and sell. They didn't exactly give the info. about the cultivar and since they don't know about it well and said that they will contact *****.

Have to wait again...

<span style='color:teal'>Well... while we wait for the answers and explanations, i planted the seeds you sent me like a month ago. Still there is no germination, but i still keep the faith... (Nep's seeds can take longer than that to germinate, right?)

So, as i was saying, while we wait for the answers, let's see what comes from my seeds
smile_m_32.gif
</span>

Yeah I just had some sprout that took about 4 months.

-Jeremiah-

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jeremiah Harris @ April 18 2006,8:10)]Yeah I just had some sprout that took about 4 months.

-Jeremiah-
<span style='color:teal'>Ohh... So i have at least 3 more months of wait
smile_m_32.gif
But i am sure it will be worthed!</span>

Mine germinated after 3 months... Only it died after the snails

Once receiving these seeds, how does one go about germinating them? I have tried N. mirablis 3X, with warm and humid conditions. I have failed 3X!

I never grew lowland Nepenthes before- but I think you can sow them in a slightly warmer conditon than highland Neps. Hush, germinating CP seeds are hard...:(

Back