User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Ma-huang  (Ephedra sinica)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone grow this? I am looking for a plant or two. Maybe some seeds? I have found them online, but if I cam trade for them all the better.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad stuff. I looked for seeds many years ago, but later read Chinese herbalists determine the strength by the taste and that anyone else is rolling the dice. Do you have a separate post for lab glassware and common household chemicals?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a thin, branching, sticky, small shrubby thing. I pretty sure I have it - it was a collection made by an expedition many years ago. I'm in the UK, not sure if there are any restrictions on sending in - in which country are you living. I could easily put a piece in the post - but can't guarantee that it will get through.

Why are you looking for it? I like it but then not many people like the kind of things I like.

Best regards

Chris

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Bruce not everyone wants the plant to extract the ephedrine for an illegal drug. The plant can be used to make tea and herbal remidies. There are no seperate post for glassware and common household chemicals. I know what your getting at and the insinuation isn't a good one. I grow plants, and I am insterested in the herbal remidies. I will be looking for goldenseal and other herbs if I find I can grow them. Plus the teas made can be used as a performance enhancer at the gym, and even brings relief to asthma by dialating broncial trees. Just because its not a common plant and it has akaloids of aphedra and psudopherda made in its tissue doesn't mean that everyone who wants it for an illicet reason.

Chris I like the oddities as well. The common things are what many people commonly grow. Why do I want to grow things every one grows? I like to grow some different things as well.

Heck if I could grow Mary Jane I would. Not because I want to smoke it, but because I think its a beautiful plant Thanks to all the parinoid freaks in congress and all the propaganda about the plant. It is illegal. I have to enjoy it only in pictures, and not in real life. Ephedra sinica picture

I will just find the website I found the seeds and order from there, since asking for a trade of the plant seems to just bring implication.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I only asked because if you want some I'll send it - but it may have been that you wanted some dried material rather than growing bits. I got mine about 15 years ago and it grows in a gravel bed so it is slow for me. It came (if I remember) correctly from a Schilling collection. I have never tried it so any insinuations will be wasted, especially as I have plenty of lophophora (it's legal here) and other plants with medical applications - including hamemelis for instance. It is a facet of the plants that adds interest without dragging me into using them. Having seen the local population (in videos) eating loph. it is one plant I think should be avoided as far as consuming it goes - if i want to spew beer will do the trick ok .

Anyway - drop me a line if you want some Eph.

Best regards

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reference to crystal meth manufacturing is a lame attempt at humor. The warning about it being dangerous stuff is real. I had heard about it being an effective herbal remedy for asthma many years ago and wanted to grow it (I was into herbs then). I later read that the natural variation of ephedrine content in Ma Huang is more than the difference between a therapeutic dose and a potentially fatal heart arhythmia. Good thing I never found it. If you want to grow it as an interesting plant, go for it. But it's risky medicine.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree.. i would love to grow the plant just because it is uncommon, and no other reason, same thing with Salvia divinorum.. its a cool plant with a neat story.... And as orchid guy stated.. If Marijuna was legal, I'd love to grow it with absoloutly no intention of smoking or harvesting No drugs for me thank you!!.. It's just and odd ball collecting mentality.. many of us like the oddities. Many people including myself grow Brugmansia the angle trumpets which have killed many morons that use it as a narcotic... every month you see it in the paper.." retard dies... blah blah" The plants themselves are gorgeoyus the blooms are stunnning. Thats why I grow them nothing more.

Regards,

-Jc

Ps. If you're able to find ma-huang I'd be interested also.
    Heliamphora ... A genus that intrigues me and fills me with joy!

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ May 12 2006,1:51)]...Heck if I could grow Mary Jane I would. Not because I want to smoke it, but because I think its a beautiful plant.
    I have to agree with you. I have seen the plant a couple times (my brother tried growing it in the alley behind our house when we were kids . Let's just say my Mom wasn't too happy with him for a while ) Definitly a very nice foliage plant.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast