What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have Spare Tubers?

Sheridan,

You have to consider the total lack of native predators in the equation. With nothing to really keep them in check the rabbits can breed and expand more readily. Plus, they have a fittness level different (mostly higher) than the similar niche organisms in Australia which gives them another edge.

Another example is the cane toad. When you think of "swarm"-type populations how readily are you to think toads?? But some parts of Australia are literally swarming with toads and the wave is expanding.

Peter, you asked for details on my Heli. fridge.  At some point when I am set up with a decent camera again (mine broke down), I will do a little article on it to share.  I am still getting things tuned just right with it but here is the basic setup:
I found a commercial beverage cooler with an "insulated" glass front for a bargain on Craigslist.  I have three shelves which right now are Heli.'s top, highland tropical Dro.'s middle, and highland Nep.s bottom.  On the Heli.'s I have a 24" 4 bulb T5 fixture with the 3000K bulbs and 4 "100W equivalent" 6500K CF's.  On the Dro's and Nep.'s I just have 6500K CF's for now.  I set up the refrigeration system with two thermostatic shutoffs (the common type with a 0-90 degree dial adjustment, which is impressively accurate) in parallel.   One is set to the daytime temp and is on an optical switch so it cuts out of the circuit when the lights go out.  The other one is et at the nighttime temp and is automatically overridden by the higher set day one during that cycle.  I think I will try to track down a reverse optical switch that will cut this one out during the day because it seems to occasionally fight with the warmer one.  During the day sometimes I hear the fridge unit turn off and then righ back on so I think it gets mixed messages from the tandem controllers.  I cannot be sure yet however, because this effect could come from warm air pockets off the light moving past the thermocouples.  The main problem with this system is the dehumidification effect of the refrigerator unit.  I am currently successfully countering this with an ultrasonic humidifier on a 50/50 on/off schedule.  This is a pain though so I think I may put all plants in tanks for humidity (the Dro.'s already are).  So when I get it a bit more refined looking and get a camera I will offer more info--

Pyro another thing that crossed my mind this weekend while cruising through my normal hunting area scouting(and getting pics to show Wolf that i dont hunt in trees much
smile_n_32.gif
he seems to think a scoped rifle makes hunting to easy) is we are talking about two different critters. the European hare is prolly more used to areas that are a lil more temprate with more or less good rain fall. sure there are populations that tolerate dry conditions but its pretty safe to assume those introduced to Aussie Land were from Britain. the hares im familiar with are from a much rougher climate. an arid one thats prolly more similar to the majority of Aussie Land than what the European hare is used to. granted i gets darn cold up here but Jacks range down into Mexico aswell. i would think if jacks from the arid southwest USA were introduced to Austrailia they would be a bigger potential threat than their European couterparts. just a thought.

BTW i agree with you for the most part on the preditor thing but yah have to remember there are plenty of large snakes throughout Austrailia as well as eagles and hawks. granted these preditors arent really the best at keeping populations down as coyotes, foxes and bobcats are their main preditors here and tend to focus on rabbits more than the snakes and eagles who view them as targets of oppertunity

Back