What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have Spare Tubers?

I apologize for breaching the rules on that one -- I am very interested in trading for some Drosera tubers (if anyone has some spares that aren't potted up yet) - . I mainly have pygmy Dro.'s, Mexican Ping.'s to trade, but I also have a Petiolaris Dro. or two and a couple Heli.'s.

Asking to buy plants is not allowed on this forum!You need to read the RULES  

Jerry

I've read the post a number of times and I still can't work out where throckmoron actually asks to buy plants- or have I missed something? I do see the word trade appear twice though.
smile.gif

I do have a heap of Drosera tubers that will be dormant in a few months, unfortunately I'm in Australia and can't help you out.

Seandew, fyi that TRM edited his post and removed his original request to buy. Hey we all make a few mistakes! I do know the other cp forum does allow sales so it is easy to think this ones does too.
On another note, why so few tuberous drosera in the US? Wish someone was growing a lot and could supply! I guess this was the same with petiolaris group, but now seems more readily available in the US.
smile_m_32.gif

Peter

For everyone's info, if you are trying to figure it out, I first asked to buy tubers and edited my post when I was reminded that was not OK (what is a TRM by the way, Totally Ridiculous Monkey). Did I break another rule in editing my post? I just thought I would fix the problem-- Seandew, I take it tubers are regulated as plants for import/export? Is it true you can't even send seed into Australia? I suppose looking into the micro world of parasites and fungi it makes sense to regulate all biological material like that (except that people are dirtier than anything and are allowed everywhere).

Throckmoron. The TRM was just an abreviation for your screenname. :S Some places are more scarry than others. I guess Alstrailia is still a little freaked out about the rat and jackrabbit problem caused by importation. Atleast I think it was jackrabbits. The main thing I think they are worried about though is nemotoads. Microscopic worms that can be dangerous to crops and plants. Also viruses. Altrailia is pretty seperated form the world. Some species exist ONLY there, and bringing in a virus couls be desaterous. And plant viruses can be spread by seed too. I hope that info is accuarate.

FWIW some of us are trying to get the plants out there however, unlike petiolaris, these are not as easy to propogate. Leaf cuttings are not really an optin and seed is difficult to get in cultivation so the main source is tuber division which can take a long time with some species.

LOL Thats a new one on me Pyro. I haven;t seen FWIW before.

What about export from Australia though, is it just as heavily regulated? And with tubers/seeds? Hope I'm not asking redundant questions already asked somewhere else--

JB,

FWIW=For What Its Worth

Throck,

Export out of Australia is not as heavily regulated so you can get tubers and seeds from there. In fact, all things being equal, your best bet for tubers would be Allen Lowrie.

Now, 2 things I have to say here:

1) I am not interested in getting into a discussion on the ethics of Lowrie. Those have happened before and they have always ended in flames. I have no interest in flames.

2) I do not suggest Lowrie lightly. Before you consider ordering from Lowrie I very highly recommend that you first get ahold of one of the easier species and make sure you can grow them for at least 2 years. ICPS almost always has some seed and occasionally you can get plants/tubers from BestCP which have been TC'd (I believe). Tuberous as a group can be tricky in and of themselves, jumping right to the Lowrie list will more than likely get you in trouble because the plants will be on a Southern Hemisphere cycle which means they will be coming into growth during our summer, not the best thing to say the least. Acclimating a tuber takes skill and patience, it is not something that you can easily pull off in one year, and in my experience it is better to take multiple years to do it. Having prior knowledge of how to grow tuberous 'dews makes the process easier. And knowing that you actually can grow tuberous 'dews is a must.

This is where I was hoping the discussion would go-- as far as the Aussie schedule goes, do you see a critical problem with keeping them on their schedule in a cooled situation (I have the setup already that my Heli.'s grow in, seems like about what they want, right?)? I am growing menziesii (D. and U.) this way right now in the Heli. fridge (70-75 day & 50-55 night) and they seem to be doing well. I am worried about the D. though because I didn't move it into the fridge until fairly recently, and I think it might have gotten a bit stunted by heat. What effect will a longer photo period than they would be getting in nature have on them in growth stage?

If you really can keep they schedule of SH here in NH then it should work. However, how are you going to give them a hot "summer" during our winter??

As for photoperiod, I have found that anything over 12 hours tends to lead to plants that want to go back down. That said I believe that it is a combination of heat and light together that determine the cycle so if you keep them cool enough (especially at night) then you might be able to get away with longer photoperiods. But I do not know this for sure.

And even with all this trying you might find that the plants will reset their cycles from some other cue. I have always started my SH tuber in my high elevation grow area in summer and only bringing them out if they are actively growing and the temps are right. After 2-3 year they are synched up to a NH cycle

throck, i'm interested to hear about this heli "fridge"?? Are you using a beverage cooler or something like that?
what is the lighting and how do you have it set up?

I have thought about using a fridge and using flor. tubes to light up the inside.
Peter.

I need to go back to the beginning of the post for a minute  
smile.gif

My mistake, I thought that if a post was edited after another post had followed, that a message would appear below the initial one stating the message had in fact been edited. Obviously that's not the case. (I hope that came out the way I meant it to  
confused.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 22 2006,6:14)]Throckmoron.  The TRM was just an abreviation for your screenname. :S Some places are more scarry than others.  I guess  is still a little freaked out about the rat and jackrabbit problem caused by importation.  Atleast I think it was jackrabbits.  The main thing I think they are worried about though is nemotoads.  Microscopic worms that can be dangerous to crops and plants.  Also viruses.  Altrailia is pretty seperated form the world.  Some species exist ONLY there, and bringing in a virus couls be desaterous.  And plant viruses can be spread by seed too.  I hope that info is accuarate.

The import conditions for bringing seed into Australia are actually far more lax than those of the US. For instance, we do not need a permit or phyto-sanitary certificate for importing the seed of most species of plant. The requirements are only that the seed is clearly labelled with a botanical name and that it is clean and free of contamination, insect infestation and signs of disease.

We do have problems with regular rabbits (how do they differ from jackrabbits??) and nematodes can be a problem more related to live plant importation. It has been deemed that the seed of most plants does not represent a significant risk of introducing viruses etc. and so are treated in such a manner.

Tubers are considered to be live plants and as so are subject to much more stringent import conditions. It would simply be not worth it (cost wise and effort wise) to attempt to import them back into Australia (but then why would you want or need to?). In the case of all live plants, it is much more difficult to bring them into Australia than the US, which only needs a permit, phyto and inspection before clearance. We require the plants to be accompanied by a permit, phyto, have an inspection, fumigation and then 4 months in a sealed glasshouse whilst being monitored and tested for various pests and pathogens throughout the 4 month period.

BTW- The country I live in is spelt Australia. Not meaning to be condescending but I cringe when I see it spelt "Alstrailia" or "Altrailia", I guess much the same way if I were to spell the US, the United States of Umerrika.  
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Aug. 23 2006,8:45)]My mistake, I thought that if a post was edited after another post had followed, that a message would appear below the initial one stating the message had in fact been edited. Obviously that's not the case.
The only time a note shows up showing it has been edited... is if a mod/admin/super mod edits it... if you edit your own- nothing shows up... If we edit our own, it does show up- even though it is our own. Now you know.
smile.gif

Well there you go, I wasn't aware that was the case. That could cause a bit of confusion at times, as illustrated in this thread.

the rabbits in Aussie Land are European rabbits. Jack rabbits are American hares(we also have one or two other hare species as well as a couple species of rabbits most notably the cottontail)

Rabbit: born in burrow with no hair and eyes closed

Hare: born on the surface, with fur and more or less ready to run

Thanks for the explanation. We have both but it is the rabbits that cause the problems. Hares are quite uncommon but I have seen a few.

really? interesting. all the info i found in my quick search before posting said it was rabbits with no mention of hares. suppose its really academic at best but find it surprising you have more of a problem with rabbits than hares if both are present as hares are the ones more prone to cycle into large numbers as their young are born ready to go with no worrys of burrows being flooded or snakes and such finding defensless young. every o often we get a population explotion with jackrabbits. cottontails are always around in good numbers as they are quite adaptable and dont mind ppl as much as the jacks but they dont seem to ever have as high of a population explosion. jacks will live around ppl but cottontails will live in even heavily populated cities.

but iz not there so what do i know
smile_n_32.gif

Apparently it is the European hare that is prevalent in Australia. As I said, it is not common and the following link may explain why (or may not
smile_l_32.gif
I don't understand half of it
confused.gif
)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez....bstract

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Back