What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free giveaways--Some general comments

This year I have given away many dozens of healthy young Venus Flytraps of various varieties both privately as well as in my public free giveaways.

I think a free giveaway for a modest shipping charge is a good deal, and I enjoy sending my young VFTs to good new homes. That's why it is disheartening when people try to turn a good thing into something else, like--

<ul>
* wanting to pick and choose from the varieties I have or ask whether I have a particular variety, and customize the "order" instead of accepting the free offer as it is;

* turning the offer into free, private technical support by asking questions about how to grow carnivorous plants (VFTs in my case), both before and after the free plants are sent, when there are numerous places to get expert information without imposing on my own private time; I'm giving away free plants, not free growing advice or free time;
smile_m_32.gif

* wanting to make special arrangements or wanting me to make exceptions regarding paying the shipping fee. From my own point of view, requiring the shipping fee to be paid in advance via PayPal was a way I figured out to make it easy on me, after some bad experiences in the past.
[/list]

Without mentioning names or nicknames, here are a few extracts from private messages I received in response to my latest free VFT giveaway, by way of hopefully gently chiding those who wrote them and others who might be inclined to do a similar thing, and giving examples of my points above, without publicly embarrassing the people who wrote them--

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
"... And not to push my luck, but if it's at all possible for you to toss a royal red seedling my way, I'd REALLY appreciate that as well (it's one of my must-haves :p)."

The person above wrote to me asking for my next offer before it was posted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
"Can I have both offers? I would like have offer #1 and #2. Thanks!"

The person above has already received free VFTs from me in the recent past. Some others may wish to receive some free VFTs too. *smile*

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
"I am interested in the free VFTs, preferrably Offer #1. Hopefully, I can get the offer!!

I do have a question regarding VFTs. I've got 1 growing outside and a couple weeks ago we had a particularly bad heatwave, all my upright leaves immediately became droopers like nepenthes. They were kept on a higher watertable but could this be because of heat exhaustion? It's something that really bugs me but at least now the VFT is reverting back to producing upright leaves ..."

Aside from not being an "expert on call" to answer VFT culture questions (unless I want to answer questions or provide my own take on the issue in the public forums where more than one person may benefit or be able to consider the information), there are so many possible explanations, and this person didn't mention crucial details, like what the climate and humidity is like at his location and how it varied during the "heat wave", exactly how the VFT has been grown and is being grown and for how long (just a vague "I've got one growing outside"), etc. This "free tech support abuse" *smile* is beginning to affect me like my Windows computer using friends who want me--an exclusively Linux guy--to help them fix their broken Microsoft boxes. *grin--ain't gonna happen; "I don't do Windows." And I'm not waiting in the "Venus Flytrap Care and Information" booth with bated breath eager for the next person's question.*
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
"... Also, I do not have a paypal account, but do have a credit card with which to pay online. I've never used paypal (that I know of, I do periodically make purchases on amazon), so let me know if this is all I need to seal the deal."

Uh--no. I figure I do all the work, grow the plants, divide them, pot them up individually and care for them until they are healthy and vigorous and ready to ship, and then I pack them up and ship them, all for just a modest shipping fee. If a person can't do the shipping fee the easy way I prefer, then-- I guess it's flattering that this person apparently thinks I must be a big commercial enterprise that has paid for and set up a credit-card processing system, instead of just a home hobbyist and enthusiast, but ...
smile_m_32.gif

Best wishes, Steve / xscd

Gee, Steve, I guess you should have put a disclaimer at the end of your offer.
smile_n_32.gif

whoo! i'm glad i wasn't on the list of bad traders!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Aug. 31 2006,8:00)]Gee, Steve, I guess you should have put a disclaimer at the end of your offer.
smile_n_32.gif

Am I being too gripe-y or grumpy?
smile.gif

Most people I've sent VFTs to have been great--really nice people, polite, friendly, enthusiastic about CP--and I am glad to have gotten to meet them and get to know them a little.

Over time though, I tried to learn from each giveaway how to make them organized, fair and easy and answer all the usual questions and avoid all the special requests up front.

Despite that, some very minor annoyances are bound to continue and I guess all these little things just kind of build up and get to you a little after awhile. I guess I ought to back off and breathe--relax--enjoy the day, let my cares float away ...

Speaking of free giveaways, does anyone happen to have a Sarracenia x excellens (a hybrid of S. leucophylla x S. minor) that they might be willing to part with?!
smile.gif

Haha, give 'em an inch and they want a freakin mile. Your trades are all so well organized but some people just don't get it.

Anyway dude don't let this get you down. There is always going to be people who are either stupid or like to push their luck. Its just life.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Am I being too gripe-y or grumpy?

Not at all Steve. You do free giveaways, you are NOT a store that needs to offer any form of a service for people (requests or otherwise) other than going to the post office to mail off their plants. People often have problems following directions and hopefully this will all work out in the end because I really enjoy your plants and would hate to have you stop the giveaways.
smile.gif

To the people being annyoing: you're going to ruin a good thing here.
smile_h_32.gif

Another typical story of someone trying to be the nice guy and getting stiffed for it....thats why I gave that up!

Yeah, I started using in built in ways of making sure people read the directions in my giveaways. You can be as organized as you want, but some people don't want to spend the time it takes to read your message, but are plenty willing to take up more of your time. I have people use a certain title for the PMs they send me- if they don't have it as the title, I know they didn't read the directions.

FOLKS: READ the directions! It makes it a LOT easier for people doing the giveaways, and makes us look foreward to future ones. If you're following directions, then that's great, please continue to do so!
smile.gif

Thanks for posting this, Steve. I hope that you continue your generous services on these forums without letting the small things get to ya- though I know they add up.

I guess it's all kind of humorous when you look at it, and after the annoyance subsides (until the next time).
smile_m_32.gif

All things considered, I really do enjoy giving my extra VFTs away. I would much rather ship them to the homes of people who are already enthusiasts and are at least somewhat knowledgeable, than to take my beautiful little insect-munching buddies to the local farmer's market in the rural area in which I live and sell them to fascinated kids who are sure to tease them, torture them and kill them within a few weeks!
smile_m_32.gif

Anyway, such is life I guess. Just had to vent a little. Honestly though, I can't believe how much some people are willing to ask for. Like CopcarFC said, "give 'em an inch and they want a freakin mile." Thanks Mike (cprus) and everyone for your comments. Also, thanks Est for that great idea: asking respondents to use a special title for their private messages to make sure that they have actually read the information and instructions.
smile.gif

Best wishes, -Steve / xscd

Hee hee, xscd, I was just busting chops.

All you have to do is say "no soup for you" to people who don't follow the directions. Maybe they'll learn for next time.

Well my mom always says be not only happy for what you get but thankful and grateful because you cant always get what you want and when you do you should be very thankful for it so I thank you xscd for the wonderful vft's they are doing extremely well.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_freak @ Aug. 31 2006,1:24)]Well my mom always says be not only happy for what you get but thankful and grateful because you cant always get what you want and when you do you should be very thankful for it so I thank you xscd for the wonderful vft's they are doing extremely well.
smile.gif

Thanks Justin! I'm sure most people who send their "babies" off to new homes love to see followup messages or even photos of them.

I remember the VFTs I send, when they used to sit in the greenhouse in this particular environment and climate of eastern New Mexico, and how I watered them, fed them bugs (in this dairy country with billions of flies, I sometimes catch the ones inside the house in small glass jars that I keep in the freezer, which stuns them until I nestle them gently into one of the open maws of the VFTs), took them outside to hunt and sun, etc.

Anyway, thanks for your nice comments. Glad they're doing well.
smile.gif

Steve / xscd

Sounds like a proud papa to me.

Good post Steve!

Jerry

Hey Steve can your next offer be for some "wacky traps" and some "giant all red"...they're both on my "must have" list.  If you don't already have them, could you buy them, grow them, divide them, pot them, and then give them away to me for just shipping.  I'm sure that would'nt be a problem for you.  

Let me know when they're ready.

Thanks

David P
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (curlingguy @ Aug. 31 2006,8:41)]Hey Steve can your next offer be for some "wacky traps" and some "giant all red"...they're both on my "must have" list. If you don't already have them, could you buy them, grow them, divide them, pot them, and then give them away to me for just shipping. I'm sure that would'nt be a problem for you.

Thanks

David P
smile_m_32.gif

Sure! Although I don't know you, it's the least I could do for a fellow human being.

I don't have any Wacky Traps now, but I'll buy or find something of value of my own to trade for them. Giant All Red VFT I haven't heard of, but I'll do the research and make sure I have some of those soon too, and I'll buy or trade for plenty for both of us.

If the only source is from Europe, don't worry, I'll take care of all the CITES or whatever official paperwork. Sound like a deal?! I'll try to have them ready and ship them to you as soon as possible--no charge of course. Anything else I can do for you? *mutter* A gunshot wound to the head perhaps? *mutter*
smile_m_32.gif

Steve / xscd

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey Steve can your next offer be for some "wacky traps" and some "giant all red"...they're both on my "must have" list. If you don't already have them, could you buy them, grow them, divide them, pot them, and then give them away to me for just shipping. I'm sure that would'nt be a problem for you.

Thanks

David P

Wisenheimer.

Ahh, just a frustrated Canuck- we pretty much can't do anything in this forum except make wisecracks (good one sir, BTW)
But since you're doing all that for curlingguy.......

smile_m_32.gif

Seriously you seem to be one of the most prolific give-away-ers on a "large" scale, Steve, you really do a fine service to folks hereabouts and should be commended for it, Good show
biggrin.gif

i'd love to see your growing area.. hint hint..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xscd @ Sep. 01 2006,1:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (curlingguy @ Aug. 31 2006,8:41)]Hey Steve can your next offer be for some "wacky traps" and some "giant all red"...they're both on my "must have" list.  If you don't already have them, could you buy them, grow them, divide them, pot them, and then give them away to me for just shipping.  I'm sure that would'nt be a problem for you.  

Thanks

David P
smile_m_32.gif

Sure! Although I don't know you, it's the least I could do for a fellow human being.

I don't have any Wacky Traps now, but I'll buy or find something of value of my own to trade for them. Giant All Red VFT I haven't heard of, but I'll do the research and make sure I have some of those soon too, and I'll buy or trade for plenty for both of us.

If the only source is from Europe, don't worry, I'll take care of all the CITES or whatever official paperwork. Sound like a deal?! I'll try to have them ready and ship them to you as soon as possible--no charge of course. Anything else I can do for you? *mutter* A gunshot wound to the head perhaps? *mutter*
;)

Steve / xscd
LMAO!!!

I respect your giveaways and your system (your specific PM title instruction sounds good too, EST) as I shared with you. What you do (and others like you) is a great thing. I hope some people do not ruin it for the rest. I have been growing my collection through the generosity of others and have also been making preparations to give away plants to "share the wealth." It needs to be simple for the giver.

Your offers are very specific and everyone needs to respect the time and effort you have already, and are putting into, helping them have great plants. [like that grammar?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
]
I could not resist asking you about your conditions as I have NEVER received VFTs that looked that good!
smile_l_32.gif

Thanks again for your offers, Steve. I may try for another - if you are willing to continue.

a grateful Steve

Back