User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera gigantea  Anyone have a spare?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone. I was just parusing Fleabay and came accross someone selling seeds to this plant. I have already bid on a couple other and this one is getting up in price. I was wondering if someone has a spare they were willing to trade or even some seed they wouldn't mind trading. At the moment all I have to offer is some orchids or N. ventrata cuttings. Let me know if we can work something out. Thanks
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also looking for one too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well FD I found seeds online but I have already bid on 2 or 3 other seed packs too and these were getting up there. So If we can;t find any then when I get a chance to order some seed I am sure I will have one for you after they germinate.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank! but if it would be easier, whenever your plant set seed, you could just save some for whenever we have a trade agreed with for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sowed some D. gigantea seed this year. I am heat stratifying them at the moment. Next month I will wet the soil they are in. Hopefully it will be cool enough here in Florida for them this fall and winter. The more I learn about the natural environment from which they come the less hopeful I am of their success here. However, if by some freak accident I am successful, I will definity share it with others.

I don't know what possessed me to attempt such a difficult species but....we will see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it isn't all that hard as tuberous Drosera go, and it's a very beautiful and rewarding species. Seed can be difficult to germinate, but it should happen as long as you get live seed. Finding a reliable source for seed would go far in that regard...most commrcial seed comes from Lowrie in Oz and it's hit or miss there, usually miss, in my experience, 'nuff said here 'bout that. I haven't had long term success with this species, but likely due to the so few sunny days here. Without a lot of energy the plants can't form the tuber needed to sustain the plant next season. But others might have a better chance. Getting a tuber will let you grow a nice plant first season, but unless the energy is there, it will return smaller and smaller. Since I am opposed to collecting wild material for resale, I won't deal with Lowrie, but others have had success with his tubers once they acclimate them to this hemisphere's seasons. Good luck with your quest!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. gigantea might be able to take FL's more mild temps. One of mine only just went down a couple weeks ago and it has been outside on my deck since Feb so it got some seriously high heat.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I ened up winning the seeds plus seed to 3 other tuberous drosrea I hope they are all viable seed. I got them from Kenni quala off of fleabay. Hopefully they will be here soon and I can go ahead and sow them. Thanks everyone for the info.
    JB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast