What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone's pygmies producing?

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I can not even recall if pygmies are even gearing up this time of year but figured I'd check around. Not looking for any specific species.

PM me if you can help

Tahnks

should be getting close Pyro, think Tamlin sent me some in Nov. the first year i was on the forums, was definatly before x-mas. they start really producing when its darn near to cold to ship up here
mad.gif

I was wondering about how long does it take a pygmy from gemmae to mature and produce gemmae?

Not mine... not yet. Should be ~November if memory of last year's serves me correctly.

Dave: from my limited experience my gemmae / plants didn't produce gemmae until the following year. But then again, they were all originally sprouted from late winter to early summer. So they didn't get a full growing season.

FD-

In the many years I have been growing pygmies they have always produced gemmae in the early fall. These are planted immediately and by the following fall are fully mature and producing their own gemmae. It should only take one growing season.

Phil

Last time I looked I only had a hundred or so D. scorpiodes gemmae. It's one messed up pygmy. Produces gemmae at the drop of a hat. This is the white flowered type. Anyway, if interested drop me a PM.

BigCarnivourKid- are you still growing the original plants? Or have those passed and you have new fresh plants growing? I have some fresh ones spread out... But I also have the original clump of them. I never would have guessed they'd get so tall!!
Andrew

Still growing the original plants
smile.gif
cool.gif
. I got them back in December '02. If they stood upright instead of slumped to the side, they'd be 5" tall.

Since my gemmae came from you, my plants are a little smaller.. but grown in very close contact with one another (like a forrest) so they do stand... very cool looking

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Sep. 07 2006,6:28)]Since my gemmae came from you, my plants are a little smaller.. but grown in very close contact with one another (like a forrest) so they do stand... very cool looking
Deadly too. They catch some nice size bugs clumped like that. Mine were also growing in a nice clump until I let the pot dry out too much between waterings. Lost about half the plants in the pot which let the others fall to the side. Resowed the bare spot with more gemmae and it's filling back in now.

When they are producing gemmae they are pretty homely. When they start unfurling their leaves again, they are one of the most fascinating of the pygmie sundews. I may be biased as they are my favorite pygmie dew.
cool.gif

Back