What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. 'Leah Wilkerson' seeds available for trade

I have some of the highly sought after S. 'Leah Wilkerson' seeds available. I would like to trade for any Sarracenia that is not on my growlist or I would like to have a few more D. Rotundifolia. Click on the www button below to see my growlist. I am going to trade them in lots of 25 seeds and have 4-6 lots available. Seeds were collected on 9/19/2006. Please pm me if interested and we will work something out.

What are they crossed with?
~Joe

Sorry, I guess I should have put that in the description. I crossed 2 S. Leah Wilkerson plants together to get these seeds.

Perhaps I am wrong but I wouldn't go calling them S. Leah Wilkerson. You will most likely get a whole bunch of variable looking plants.. none of which look exactly like S. Leah Wilkerson OR have the incredible size and vigorous growth the original S. Leah Wilkerson exhibits.

Maybe Brook's can help clarify as I am sure there are number of people now or soon to be growing seedlings from selfed S. Leah Wilkerson.

i back up tony...make a Punnent Square
S s
|---------|----------|
S | SS | Ss |
|---------|----------|
s | Ss | ss |
|---------|----------|

simple genetics. even if you cros two parents with the same traits. you get variable offspring.
Alex

Even a Punnett square is a vast oversimplification: it's highly unlikely that there's a single gene for Leah-Wilkerson-like features, and even more unlikely that such a gene has only two alleles. In a single selfing, there at least tens of thousands of possibilities among the relevant genes.
~Joe

i know that. and there is way more than one gene in Leah too. thats just a general look at somthing like it. you can still use a punnent square...if you did that to every single of her genes. am i right?
Alex

The other thing to remember is that even with good genes Sarracenia are somewhat prone to inbreeding depression. Even so, these seeds should produce some sweet looking plants. Unfortunately I'm not so blessed to have any sarracenia not on that list
cool.gif

I also put 25 of these seeds on ebay for that reason Rubra. Take a look there. Bucky

Use a punnett square for every gene? NO WAY!

If you ever take genetics in college (I did...unfortunately), you'll have to solve problems that are like:

Gene AaBbCcDdEEfFGGHHIijJkkLLmM is selfed...figure out the offspring.

no thanks to that....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phissionkorps @ Sep. 19 2006,7:03)]Use a punnett square for every gene? NO WAY!

If you ever take genetics in college (I did...unfortunately), you'll have to solve problems that are like:

Gene AaBbCcDdEEfFGGHHIijJkkLLmM is selfed...figure out the offspring.

no thanks to that....
give me a couple of minutes and i could figure that out :p

things get BAD if you consider different loci and map distances.

Bah I am going to drive myself crazy haha

That is why I like the way they do cultivars with orchids. If it is not that exact plant or a clone of that plant you cannot call it that cultivar. I agree with the others that if you take Leah and cross it with Leah the children are going to come our different. Some may exibit some or a couple of leah's trates, but they will not be Leah. Even with the way culitvars are done in CPs you couldn't call all the seeds produced Leah wilkerson because you do not knwo if all of them exibit the trates of the orriginal desciption. You would have to grow them up and the compair and the ones that exibit her trate could be called that, but not the others. Now you can advertise them as S. 'Leah Wilkerson' x self seeds, but you cannot accurately describe them as 'Leah Wilkerson' seeds. It could be constituted as fraud since you are selling them on Ebay if someone wanted to push the issue. Just a warning. Especialy if somone buys the seeds for a pretty penny then grows them up and none of the offspring exibit the trates described for 'leah wilkerson' you mentioned.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Sep. 19 2006,2:17)]i know that. and there is way more than one gene in Leah too. thats just a general look at somthing like it.  you can still use a punnent square...if you did that to every single of her genes. am i right?
Alex
The thing about Punnett squares is that when you try to deal with more than one gene, you instantly get tables that can't be visualized (at least by most people.) A two-gene Punnett square is a hypercube, a uniformly-bounded four-dimensional figure. Every additional gene requires the addition of two new dimensions to the table, so by the time you reach four or five genes you're beyond the visualization capacity of even the most highly talented savants. You can condense the information into a two-dimensional chart, but it quickly becomes illegible or unmanageable. When you add in the fact that most genes are more than simply dominant or recessive, Punnett squares become quite impractical, if not more or less useless.
~Joe

a good example of this is that I have an F2 ventrata....its got wings only halfway down the pitcher..but still, theyre there, and they have those..frill...things...on them

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Sep. 20 2006,2:51)]The thing about Punnett squares is that when you try to deal with more than one gene, you instantly get tables that can't be visualized (at least by most people.) A two-gene Punnett square is a hypercube, a uniformly-bounded four-dimensional figure. Every additional gene requires the addition of two new dimensions to the table, so by the time you reach four or five genes you're beyond the visualization capacity of even the most highly talented savants. You can condense the information into a two-dimensional chart, but it quickly becomes illegible or unmanageable. When you add in the fact that most genes are more than simply dominant or recessive, Punnett squares become quite impractical, if not more or less useless.
~Joe
Having dine a breif stint in a C. elegans lab I have to disagree with you somewhat. 3, 4 and 5 gene Punnett squares are often utilized by worm geneticists because the joy of a hermaphroditic model is that you can pretty much figure out the gene frequency of the offspring. So if you have a GFP, left bend, twitching, roller and you know that she is heterozygous for all traits then you can work out the offspring frequency. And it really is not that complex... I did it in my head on more than one occasion and I am nowhere near savant level intelligence

Now as for the seeds themselves, Tony is correct to say that you can not call them 'Leah Wilkerson' they should be described as 'Leah Wilkerson' F2 or better yet complex x moorei.

Well, I'm saying it's difficult to think about it with a one-to-one correspondance between possible parent's genes and dimensions on the table, the way a single-gene square does. When I did multi-gene Punnett squares, we wrote them as squares within squares within squares. It's possible to write them this way, but at four genes with two possible alleles you have 64 cells in your table, and it's not nearly as handy and lucid as the single-layer squares. To calculate and list the possibilities in your head isn't terribly difficult, but representing it in an elegant figure like a single-gene Punnett square is another matter. When I speak of savants, I'm referring to people who can imagine charts in six, eight or more dimensions; enumerating the possible combinations is a much simpler matter.
~Joe

I still have a couple of lots left, I would also like to have a few more D. Rotundifolia if anyone is interested in trading or you can pm me with any offers.

Bucky I got your last PM, but all that was in it was a qupte from the PM I sent you. Care to resend it?

Back