Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Available

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they're really not that popular because nobody ever says anything about them. People just keep them in their greenhouses, then randomly pop up and say "Hey, my U. reniformis flowered, look at it," leaving people to say, "Where'd that come from?" Plus, most of these plants have been grown in greenhouses or specialized "grow-areas", which most people can't make. I think if people talk more about them, and tell us a little more about how to grow them, then people will be more interested in these plants, especially when they get them to flower.

In fact, I was thinking of asking Pyro for this plug, but I didn't know anything about it, and I don't think there's much info on how to grow it.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben,

I have to disagree with you a little though I do see where you are coming from. When you consider the genus there really is not that much to talk about. I mean, think about it, the traps are (for the most part) small and underground so they are not a topic of interest. The leaves are mostly plain (with a few exceptions like nelimbifolia) and so if you have seen one you have pretty much seen them all. The only real part of interest is the flowers. It is kind of like orchids, how many orchid growers go out touting their non-blooming plants?? No one buys or talks about orchids for their foliage and by that same token no one really grows Utrics except for their flowers.

As for where they grow, granted some of us (myself especially) go to extremes but I will counter that if you grow any type of highland Nep or Heli then you should be able to grow any of the easier of the large species. And I'd bet good money that most everyone here other than the greenest of newbies has a highland Nep or a Heli.

As far as info on how to grow them, I know that that is out there. I personally have discussed my growing technique here many times over and I know other who have as well. A quick search should find that fast enough. Likewise a quick search at CPUK would yield a good bit on info. And even a Google search would likely find something.

And worst case scenario with this specific plant is that you get it from me and it craoks. You will have learned what not to do the next time I offer one up which is/will be pretty frequent as this plant is a friggin weed!! I have it as a rogue in 3 pots and the main parent is sending out at least 6 aerial stolons at the moment which is a perpetual state of being for me.

So next time speak up. Or I'll just have to hunt you down and cram the plant in to your hands before knocking you unconsious so you can not argue with me about it. And if you think I am kidding then you should talk to rattler, he'll set you straight.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you kidden? i love the big utrics!! but theres no way i could grow them. my contitions just arent sutible. now if you tell me that it can grow on a windowsill with indirect light, then uh ill be making up a trade hopefully
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro, I agree, I was just saying, despite the fact that many people have Heli's and highland Neps, they don't know about these plants all too well, and someone should do something to make these plants more "inviting". Anyways, Glider, there's this website I found where this guy has pics of U. alpina, U. humboldtii, and U. reniformis that he grows on his east facing windowsill somehow. His name is Joachim Danz. All three plants have flowered there.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 05 2006,1:59)]you kidden? i love the big utrics!! but theres no way i could grow them. my contitions just arent sutible. now if you tell me that it can grow on a windowsill with indirect light, then uh ill be making up a trade hopefully
    Alex
    Quit sitting on your hands and get trading glider. Mine nelumbifolia is in my south window shaded by plants on a shelf that's up against the window. They are doing well and are trying to spread to my other pots.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SCORE!
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, if your not careful, Pyro starts shoving Utrics down your throat

it seems much easier to sell the idea of Utrics to orchid growers than CP growers but there is some very serious interest in them. just last week i stumbled apon another Utric freak in the making. the macro(Iperua and Orchidoides) Utrics are fairly to very easy if you grow highland nepenthes. they can be a bit more frustrating on occation but really arent difficult.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Oct. 05 2006,6:06)]
    Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Oct. 05 2006,7:44)]It's unfortunate that they are not more popular than what I believe they should be. Should my situation (or should that be location) be different, I'd be clamouring to get my hands on such species......
    Sean,

Rest assured that the day I get seed from my plant a batch will be heading your way.
    Hi Travis,

I actually do grow U. nelumbifolia. It's most of the others I'm clamouring for.

Sean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast