Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarracenia purpurea giveaway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bellerophon View Post
    beautiful plant, thanks for sharing with me
    I'm glad you like it. You may want to trim those old pitchers from last year off as the plant grows new pitchers, which it will do very soon (I believe it was just coming out of dormancy when I shipped it), to give the new pitchers plenty of room to develop without crowding. Also, you can probably expect a flower spike to appear soon too.

Thanks for giving me an update on its welfare. It's a sturdy little plant and I hope it grows well for you.

best wishes,

Steve / xscd
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Steve! excuse my ignorance but how do you identify the "old" pitchers that need to be trimmed from viable ones? should every pitcher be trimmed yearly? Also, although I'd enjoy a flower spike is it recommended to remove it so as not to stress the plant more than necessary?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine, too! Awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bellerophon View Post
    Thanks again Steve! excuse my ignorance but how do you identify the "old" pitchers that need to be trimmed from viable ones? should every pitcher be trimmed yearly? Also, although I'd enjoy a flower spike is it recommended to remove it so as not to stress the plant more than necessary?
    The plant is very healthy, so it's probably optional whether you want to allow it to bloom this year or not. You could allow it to bloom, and then cut the bloom and put it in a vase of water if you want, to spare the plant having to support it. Although the petals will fall out, you will be surprised at how long lasting the blooms (the rest of the very interesting flower, minus the petals) will last--many weeks looking just beautiful.

Regarding the pitchers, all of the pitchers on your plant right now are old, from last season's growth before the plant stopped growing and became dormant. You will notice that although they look very good, many of them are a little dry around the margins of the ruffled area of the hoods. Any or all of them can be clipped off (one at a time, gradually, not all at once), as the new pitchers grow, which will start very soon. For example, if you notice a new pitcher beginning to grow outward from the crown toward one side of the plant, just clip off one or two of the pitchers on that side of the plant to give the new pitcher growing room. They will appreciate that and will grow large and robust.

Happy growing,

Steve / xscd
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12