What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a toothy nepenthes....

I was showing my GF some pictures of all the cool carnivorous plants out there, and she absolutely fell in love with the N. Hamata. Only just now did I realize how rare these seem to be for online purchase. I would prefer to get a Hamata, but would be willing to take any 'toothy' Nepenthes. I happily offer 2 rooted D. Binata 'Multifidia Extrema' leaf cuttings in trade here. I have not yet rooted the cuttings, seeing as how I've never had much luck with propogation.

On a side note, however, maybe I could get this answered. Would leaf cuttings from this plant do better in growing medium, or RO water in a sealed container?

Good luck on that one buddy :)

I'll answer your Q though, I've tried them in water and on medium and haven't noticed a difference. No reason to seal the container of water if it's in water already.

...and she absolutely fell in love with the N. Hamata.

She is a keeper. :)

Do you have a highland setup already? What about other highlands with less prominent teeth, like N. densiflora?

Yes, yes she is a keeper. Unfortunately for my pocketbook, but luckily for me, I do have a highland terrarium setup already. I thought it would be much easier than it is to find this elusive Hamata. But, I figured better to have the setup and no plant, rather than vice versa. Personally, I would happily accept any Nep I could get my greedy little hands on, since I love them all. But, this is going to be her birthday present, so I really should try for the one she fell in love with, or something comparably as sinister in appearance.

Good luck on that one buddy :)

I'll answer your Q though, I've tried them in water and on medium and haven't noticed a difference. No reason to seal the container of water if it's in water already.

Thx, JLAP!:hail:

N. macrophylla

N. villosa. If you can get the temps right and have the patience :)

Loooooong time-investment.

N. macrophylla

N. villosa. If you can get the temps right and have the patience :)

Loooooong time-investment.

Okay. Add to the list of acceptable trades the beauties noted above. I have All the time in the world, and infinite patience. (In my line of work, patience is required to be hardwired into me and my employees.)

Thanks again for delving into your wealth of carnivorous plant info for me, JLAP!

I would like to add to this that I'm not at all trying to get a whole plant. Of course that would be preferable, but I do only have my meager offering in trade. Anything that I could give to my girlfriend along with a picture of what it will approximately look like full grown would tickle her beyond belief. (she likes the maternal satisfaction of knowing that she got the plant to adulthood.)

Yes, yes she is a keeper. Unfortunately for my pocketbook, but luckily for me, I do have a highland terrarium setup already. I thought it would be much easier than it is to find this elusive Hamata. But, I figured better to have the setup and no plant, rather than vice versa. Personally, I would happily accept any Nep I could get my greedy little hands on, since I love them all. But, this is going to be her birthday present, so I really should try for the one she fell in love with, or something comparably as sinister in appearance.

Your gonna have to teach her how to grow them.

Hey Shady,

D. binata clones are also easily propagated from root cuttings. You may have some luck with that.

As far as tooty neps go, there are a couple of seriously cool highland hybrids that are at least prominently ridged: N. sibuyanensis x xTrusmadiensis and N. ventricosa x xTrusmadiensis are two that I have - note both are hybrids with x'Tusmadiensis'

Your gonna have to teach her how to grow them.

That again is where my mass of patience will come into play... she's a solid learner with patient and slow instrustion. Especially with something as complex as the needs of a highland Nep.

The setup that I have is pretty self sufficient however... Timed lights and cooling fans and all that jazz... So we'll see how well she takes to it. I'm hoping that she'll really get the enjoyment out of growing carnivores that I do. Either way I win though, because if she gets what I call "4-year-old-with-a-new-puppy" syndrome and decides that she doesn't have the patience required, then I get a new Nep!:-D

Sarracenia Northwest's webpage lists April as when their hamatas will be available next. The last time however, they were around $70.

I was so excitied that they were carrying it and then...I saw the price.

Still hamatless.

The first time I saw a hamata and predator I bought them. How much are you willing to spend? I paid 70 for my hamata and something like 100 for the predator. But I'm pretty sure you won't find a predator in the States so that's why. I got my hamata from black jungle by the way.

Should try a Densiflora like Dave said, they're pretty evil-looking and much more common and a much better price than any of the more toothed Neps.
It'd be better to see if yer set-up works well for HL's through the Summer with a less-expensive plant as well.
If it does well, you could pick up a Hamata in the fall, they can be hard to find, but if you look around, you will find em.

As far as tooty neps go

A tooty nep??! I want one of those!!! Probably a cross Schloaty made...N. ventricosa x beans, I reckon. :rolleyes:

:-))

Good one, PAK!

Tooty indeed.

A tooty nep??! I want one of those!!! Probably a cross Schloaty made...N. ventricosa x beans, I reckon. :rolleyes:

Oh man, that just stinks! :-))

Dude if you havn't been reading about these I would run from them. They are evil. They don't like people.

I'm just messing with you. I guess once they get older they are not that are. Elgecko and Capslock have some nice ones. I'm sure there are many other people who have some nice looking hamatas but I don't know them yet. Just know what you're getting into.

Could a hardened off, older hamata be a houseplant? I have a source to get one, but it's $120. I'm not worried about that. :D

From what I've read it seems like only the babies like to randomly die, but the adults can be pretty tough....

Well, in light of what I've been informed of via this post and a few PMs, I ordered a N. Ventricosa from sarracenia NW. Everyone I've talked to says that they're a lot less fickle of a Nep to start with. So, once I have this one for a year or so and have a good beat on Nep care under my belt, then me and my fantastic gf will decide on spending the money for a nice healthy Hamata. I thank you all again for your words of carnivorous wisdom.

P.S. I have some of my D. Binata Multifida Extrema in a mason jar with RO water now trying to get them to clone for me. wish me luck! If all goes well, I'll have another post here in a month or so for tradeouts!

Back