What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
I traded a cutting to Victoria, and I have a 13 inch plant that I decided I wanted to trade, since I wasn't able to trade it to "Justlikeapill" because we made a mistake in our minds, I've decided to possibly trade this plant since I am only professional at making Nepenthes grow leaves. Not good. It has a it's leafspan is just over a foot, about 13 inches. One leaf is ready to pitcher.

What I'm Interested in:

Sarracenia
Cephalotus (potted if you can, since I do not like it when their pitchers die off, I'd make 200 new topics out of worry!)
Offers (Not Nepenthes or Utricularia. I am not very fond of dews either, since, even if I smashed every bone in my body in attempt to try and get one droplet of dew, I can't.)

Well, yeah, thats it.

He wanted to trade me a 13 inch plant and said he'd leep a basal, and I thought he wanted to send me a basal and said no thanks. By the time he got back to me I had traded with someone else. My bad!

Indeed. I'm very bummed :(. Oh well.

NeciFIX,

if you haven't traded the medusa yet, don't. Read this discussion first, then change your setup accordingly. Worked for me, and it will most likely work for you, too. x medusa is WAY too beautiful a nepenthes to just trade away for some sarracenia :)

Dude, it costs so much money to get equipment. I just give up on Nepenthes total, they are total fussy plants that require everything perfect and beyond to make one pitcher.

Maybe it is beautiful, but it's relatively hard to grow a majority of the Nepenthes well without a tropical climate and/or a terrarium with dozens of modifications. This may seem ignorant, but I believe it true in all my beliefs. Everyone I hear from, but most likely just "most people" who has a Nepenthes that makes good looking pitchers either has them in terrariums with premium media with 6-8 different types of soil mixed in and in some sort of system with extra/less humidity and controlled heat and some a natural rain system.

I make 40 dollars a month, and I'm poor. So, I'm sticking to Sarras since they do good in my weather. I see nothing special about N. medusa, and it seems to be a demanding hybrid, and for only the ones living in wild, hot, steamy, wet, jungles, or with specialized terrariums with 90-100% humidity and very warm can grow them well. I can only provide one or the other, not both. Terrariums are for the rich, I can't afford such preposterous equipment and I don't see how that topic is supposed to be helpful. I'm willing to bet that if they were put in a lowland terrarium this plant would pump out pitchers like Wal-Mart re-stocking Dionaea, but, I'm simply too poor. My weather permits extreme heat, not humidity.

I dunno man...I have a thorelii x truncata on my kitchen table in weak light that is about 2' long and 2' across with a pitcher on almost every leaf. I always forget about it and water the thing like once a week...and i've knocked it off the table 4 times and it hasn't skipped a beat.

I've grown highland truncata in 104 degree weather for 3 months straight and it did great

I think you just need to let the thing settle in more without changing anything. I'd offer to trade but besides neps, I barely have anything of interest unless you want a few P. Titan, a random 1st year sarr hybrid, and some creeping death x creeping death VFT 1st year seedlings

Is N. x medusa a lowlander?

I'd guess intermediate but it loves warmth.

phissionkorps: That's just lucky.

whats lucky? The truncata thing? I think if you have all the growing variables right except one, the plant won't care

Noo don't give up! Nepenthes are easy, they are just slow to accept changes but most do accept them.

You need something easy to start out with like N. x ventrata. Medusa gives a lot of people trouble.

Medusa gives a lot of people trouble.
for the majority...so do its parents :)

#1 rule in growing CPs: persistance and patience.

if you keep your nep in ONE place and you dont move it around. or transplant it or anything else like that. it will grow. my very first nepenthes was N. x ventrata. its supposedly the easiest. but i constantly changed growing conditions and repotted at least 3 times in 2 months. it never grew pitchers but grew leaves. so. i put it outside in a place that it only gets morning sun. after about 2-3 weeks it was making a pitcher :D but then a storm came along...i wont get into that :D my problem was constant change of conditions and right kind of light. what kind of lights do you use, Sam? i wanted my first Nep to be N. medusa. but i read up on it and i figured it wasnt the best to start with. so i got N. ventrata.
Alex

Yo man,

I can't PM you, Sam. It says you've exceeded your PM storing quota. :p

Oh, I see how it is, Manny.

Flood his inbox to eliminate all other competition.. I'm on to you! :nono:

lol...not me. I just sent one. But I know it was before yours cause mine got through.

LOL JRF!

Yeah, I somehow have 66 PM's even though I have 0.

PM me now.

Yes, I got your PM's. Sorry guys.

I have a N. ventricosa that was kept in stable conditions for months and it has only produced leaves. I don't care if they are "easy" which I disagree with, I once thought they looked beautiful and were my favourites, but all the scorn they've given me, I no longer find this attraction.

And yes, I do give up on Nepenthes totally. I'm not going to piddle around with plants that need constant conditions and care to make one pitcher, they are the true Prima Donnas of CPs, Sarras are so much more beautiful too.

My N. medusa has been making leaves. That's it.

My lighting isn't bad that's for sure. Though, if I mention it, that'll be the immediate thing people point to.

Yeah, I somehow have 66 PM's even though I have 0.

It's probably your sent pm's. Delete those in your folder and you will have a lot more room.

xvart.

Adnedarn helped me out. Heh.

for the majority...so do its parents :)

Everyone complains about N. bellii, I've never had a problem with it. It need another since I traded the old one away.

Back