Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to repopulate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm stumped over the drosera. They were under lights in my closest and were doing wonderfully. Then...ack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be a matter of watering or humidity.

It has to be asked, were you using RO water?
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilbasso View Post
    I'm stumped over the drosera. They were under lights in my closest and were doing wonderfully. Then...ack.
    Bad water? Too much water? Both of your species need dormancy, unless you had one of the tropical varieties of intermedia like "Cuba" or the rotundifolia cultivar 'Charles Darwin' (the Drosera cultivar formerly known as "Evergrow"). Are you sure they just didn't go dormant on you? They should have formed hibernicula if they did. My Drosera capillaris "Pasco Giant" x rotundifolia "Evergrow" just upped and went dormant even though it has been growing like gangbusters just a few weeks before. This hybrid doesn't require dormancy but will go dormant at times.

Just water them less to avoid crown/root rot and see what happens unless they are surely dead.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    certainly am. and peat/perlite etc. Shop lights for 14 hours or so.

and the Safer fungicide/insecticide which leads to another question...can you overdo it with that stuff (I assume that you can)? Another drosera is on the way out. There doesn't seem to be signs of bugs though or fungus. The other plants in that tray seem okay too but you'd better believe that I'll be keeping an eye on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Bad water? Too much water? Both of your species need dormancy, unless you had one of the tropical varieties of intermedia like "Cuba" or the rotundifolia cultivar 'Charles Darwin' (the Drosera cultivar formerly known as "Evergrow"). Are you sure they just didn't go dormant on you? They should have formed hibernicula if they did. My Drosera capillaris "Pasco Giant" x rotundifolia "Evergrow" just upped and went dormant even though it has been growing like gangbusters just a few weeks before. This hybrid doesn't require dormancy but will go dormant at times.

Just water them less to avoid crown/root rot and see what happens unless they are surely dead.

good water and sitting in a little bit except when I've been out of town and then they got a little extra in the tray. I just received them in a trade a few months ago and they had gone through their dormancy. A d. binata just seems to have kicked the bucket as well and that came from Sarr NW over the winter so they are different sources.

I may change brands of insecticide. I have the Safer brand (and no, it isn't the "soap").

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

well, THEY'RE alive!

While preparing to toss the dead plants, I noticed a small hint of green under the lights. The rotundifolias are clinging to life! They are smaller than the VFT seedlings that I planted this year, but they're there at least.

I'm sad about the others, but this is a nice surprise. Now to baby them for a bit.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, you're using a spray fungicide/insecticide on Drosera? Drosera sometimes react badly to sprays, especially oil based stuff. Takes them awhile to recover, if ever.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What to do if aphids attack?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast