What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NASC Benefit Auction 2007--Consider donating!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hello everybody

I'm sure you've seen the ad on the main forum page as well as the posts in all the forums regarding the upcoming NASC auction starting this weekend.

I just wanted to ask that any of you who have spare plant material to consider making an offering in the auction. It doesn't matter if its capensis seed (a good beginner offering) or you happen to have a N. hamata :)-O ) laying around that you don't want...hehe. Anything that brings in a dollar will be greatly appreciated. It adds up!

All funds collected go towards advancing our goal. This is a time when a simple act (donating) can have a major impact on the future of Sarracenia.

We all like to bid...but the donations are important to drive the auction.

I thank you all in advance for this consideration. :)

Suzanne/PAK
NASC President

I'll be donating Aldrovanda, Japanese strain, a pot of 'Marston's Dragon" , and.. uhh... a beginner Sarracenia package.

Awsome! MUCH appreciated!

I dont have anything to offer this year but should by time the next auction comes around. Until then I hope all goes well with the auction!

Victoria

Wait do we pay postage to send the plants? ???

No, you just say "winner pays postage" That's what I'm going to do.

Jefforever,
Yeah, it's much better to just pay the postage. If the bidder has to pay, then two transactions are needed every auction - one to pay the NASC, and one to pay for shipping. Then things happen like paying the NASC but not the shipping, or not paying the NASC but paying for the shipping. It becomes a bit of a nightmare to track and record, and believe me, these auctions are a TON of work for people like PAK.

Plus, if you buy an item and donate an item, it all comes out even. You pay for the one you send, and the other guy pays for the one you get. I will be paying postage on all the items I will be donating (lots!!!)

Capslock

hopefully ill be able to pay for postage this year too. new job! woo hoo! ill be donating a set of 6 utrics, some drosera, D. pulchella seed, D. binata seeds... ill have quite a bit to donate this year :D
Alex

I have a capensis flower stalk, and I don't need any seed. It'll probably turn out I'll have hundreds of mini capensis. Though, I don't think I could donate because of the postage thing, I have a very small budget and am quite poor.

If I can donate the above I will, but, if not, then hope my puppy wins the cutest pet competition contest (for $1,000) and I plan on donating $100 if I win (the others goes towards my family and plant stuff), he's in the finals, wish him luck!

Or I can donate one or two noID Nepenthes which would be either: N. ventricosa, N. rafflesiana, N. sanguinea or N. unknown, I should think about this more...

Thank you Max. :) You are correct! BTW...good to see you around.

It is determined by the lister (donor) as to who pays shipping. The vast majority of people who make a donation pay the shipping themselves. It just makes it a lot easier all the way around. If someone donates 6 items, they end up having to wait for 6 people to send 6 different shipping payments which might be only a dollar or two. That said, we also understand that anyone making a lot of donations or donating large plants can have the shipping fees add up.

We are very grateful to any donor who pays the shipping because it does greatly simplify and speed up the shipping process. But again, we totally understand that not everyone can do that.

NeciFix...you CAN donate and ask the high bidder to pay the shipping. Then there is no burden on you. All you have to do is let Schloaty know when you receive the shipping payment so he can let the donor know to ship the plant. And I hope your puppy wins! That's awsome! Congrats. :)

Well I am a sorta new to cps
but when I get my tc down(I
have a culture that is growing :)
then I will be able to donate all
kinds of stuff next year. Do you
have NASC auctions every 6 monthes?
Or yearly? I will be buying lots of stuff
from the nasc auctions though ;)

It's yearly.

I think I may just be more of a bidder this time around... I've been growing for so many years but have little to show for it.. besides a ton of experience. I blame the fact that I didn't have a grow rack then.. or money and I also blame stupid mistakes, but where else would I have gotten the experience from? xD I also don't consider my shipping experience to qualify for such an event.. since I've actually NEVER shipped something before... Next year, I hope shall be different!

Thanks,I have a Essariana invitro
so maybe I will have a ton of those soon?

I'mna try to limit myself to just one or two items this year. I'll be putting two batches of gemmae Drosera dichrosepala up for the auction. Each batch will have 20 gemmae.

Make that 3 batches of gemmae. Just discovered some more on another one of my plants. Stupid plants won't give me a break! (I know...just pass the cheese and crackers to go with my whine)

Last edited:
ill be looking for you Steve :D

Shipping isn't a scary thing. In fact, pinned in this forum, are tips for shipping plants.

And don't forget, you do not HAVE to offer a CP or even a plant. You can offer anything. If you think creatively, you can come up all kinds of things--books, artwork, handmade items. And lots of people here grow non-CP plants like orchids, succulents, etc.

I traditionally offer Virginia country ham...so that non-southerners can have the divine, though salty, experience. :)

Back