What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for S. purpurea ssp venosa

Peanut

I like this
I don't have very much to trade, but PM me and we'll work something out.
Pot cannot be too big because I'm running out of room in the balcony.
Would greatly appreciate it if you included sphagnum moss :)

I have some pretty big S. purpurea plants. But, I honestly don't know how to tell ssp venosa from ssp purpurea and that's why I have not listed them in my store. haha

Edit: here is an older picture of one before being split... (back then I was guessing it was ssp venusa but it honestly was a guess...)

spurp.JPG

Did you try Andrew yet?

You can usually find them at Armstrong's Garden Centers. I got mine at the Torrance store on Crenshaw.

http://www.armstronggardens.com/locations.html

I've been to my local Armstrong Garden center, but they only had VFTs and D. capensis.

and maybe i'll get one from Andrew, but I really don't have much money because I spent
it all on Universal Studios :-))

Do you have any red ones?

Those will turn red in higher light. I got one from Arizona or New Mexico or some place that was so red it was almost black, but under full sun in Georgia it looks more like Andrew's than it did when I got it.

adnedarn, that looks like a purp purp to me.

Looks like venosa to me, so let's compromise and call it a venusa like Anrew did..

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like ssp. venosa.

Here's what to do to tell. Rub the outside of the pitcher. If it is smooth and waxy feeling, it is ssp. purpurea.
ssp. venosa has very short hairs on the outside of the pitcher and has a velvety feel to it.

adnedarn, I may have been wrong on my identification.
here is a pic of my purp purp. a little more lanky than your plant.
PURPPURP.jpg

peace,
Zero

Zero, even though it may be smooth and shiney....it may still be ssp venosa. the hood on ssp purpurea dose not undulate like that.... i dono...just a thought
Alex

glider, if you're talking about my plant, it is a ssp purpurea

Ok, I rubbed the outside, they are not smooth. so must be ssp. venosa. Thanks :)

If you look about 1/3 down this page from Barry Rice's sarracenia.com FAQ, you'll see his foolproof rules for distinguishing between S. purp purp and S purp ven:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5538.html

You'll also see his comment immediately after those simple rules that individual plants can break the rules. So have at it.

hey Zero! Clean out your PM box I can't PM you! lol :-))

Andrew's is venosa and Zero's is purp var purp.

Awesome, Manny- thanks for the clarification in this off topic topic hehe

Back