What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Need of Newbie Plants

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
Hi all!

I am about to teach a 1st grade class, and i was hoping to get some beginning plants to give out. All of my plants are either too small or too hard.

So, i was am looking for any and all beginning plants.

I would prefer SASE (im not being mean-just d. capensis and n. ventrata aren't worth it)
but would consider sales.

Thanks,
Frankie

My suggestion is that you get all of one species and close to the same size or else you're going to have scuffles and or hurt feelings when somebody gets a bigger more colorful plant then someone else. Even with a lottery the kids may not understand "the luck of the draw".

Drosera capensis is a good beginner's plant. It grows in a wide range of conditions and has a well deserved reputation of being almost indestructible (as plants go). It's colorful, has attractive flowers, grows to a good size and the leaves wrap around prey.

You can buy them in two inch pots bulk (32 or 128 plants) from one of the TC nurseries in Vista, CA.

Drosera spatulata might be another choice but won't be as large or 'showy' as capensis. You can buy these in bulk (seedflats of 72 plants) from a AgriStarts III in FL.

You probably need a resale number in order to purchase from either of these but they may make an exception to a credentialed educator.

i think you need a resale number too-no exceptions.

The only other thing i could think of was to give out sarracenia yearlings, but they are so small...

i dunno...if anyone can help out great, if not, no biggie.

How about capensis seeds? You could grow them from scratch and everybody takes one (or 75) home when they've grown a bit.

seeds would be great!

anything is welcome!

How many plants do you need?

I'd say that if we can collectively send you seedpods of capensis, spatulata, and the like, that oughta cover each student. Of course, some of us probably have capensis ready to go!

great! thank you so much!

i need around 40, i think less, but just to be on the safe side...

thanks so much for your help guys!

My Drosera capensis "Narrow Leaf" is flowering but it will probably be a month or so before the seeds (if any) are ready.

The LACPS seedbank probably has capensis seed. The next meeting is Oct 20th in Alhambra. Ivan usually doesn't mail out seeds but makes an exception now and than.

I have PLENTY of D. capensis seed to supply your whole school.. haha enough for 40 people is cake. PM your address and I'll ship it out to you.
Andrew

I just noticed on your growlist that you TC plants. You can probably TC the capensis seeds and get a slew of bigger plants quicker than the natural method.

i have a ton!!! of capensis seeds!!!! you can have ten flower stalks for shipping!
wich will be like $1.00
pm me if interested! matt

ok, great guys! thanks!

i will get a pm out to adnedarn and nepenthes matt asap!

i was thinking about TC, but i don't like TC'ing in winter-cuz i do it in my unheated garage. :)

Thank you!

Back