Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for neps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistAdam View Post
    Thats what i want to do. Grow them in a tank within the medium. Something that doesnt require light ALLL the time and humidity is np i have gagues and a spray bottle (mantid gear is useful for CPs i noticed ).
    Ahh ok... that is a bit more manageable. However, planted tanks have their fair share of problems too. Often, the roots will become entangled, and diseases can be spread from plant to plant much more quickly. What do you mean by, "something that doesn't require light all the time"? All plants should have a consistent light source, which only fluctuates as the seasons do (for most plants). As for your conditions, they are vital in determining which types of nepenthes would be best suited for you. You can always alter your conditions to suit your plants, but for starters it is generally easier to pick a plant suited to your conditions. Also, you should consider what size tank you are planning, etc.
    - Daniel

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my lights on 16 hours a day, year round. You can do 12 hours a day.

If you want to grow Nepenthes in a tank, that's fine but get the biggest one you can afford. Mine is 75 gallons and I have to constantly trade away large plants for smaller ones because my tank is only 18 inches wide. One day I'm GOING to have an air-conditioned greenhouse. I swear it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    I keep my lights on 16 hours a day, year round. You can do 12 hours a day.
    Well i can only keep them in the basement (conditions with my old man). And unfortunatly the basement has only 2 window sills about a foot high. I am trying to get the "intelligent light" For uses like that. And i cant find a proper light other than that and the sun but its getting rather chilly here in the Quad City area. What should i do for lighting? I currently keep the CPs more or less outside to get sun and brng them in when its down (the sun i mean)
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just get some basic shop light fluorescents with a standard cheapy timer. Or you could get some of the correct spectrum compact fluorescents with some cheap reflector hoods. It really depends on how big of a tank you are considering.
    - Daniel

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The basement is a perfect place to grow them!

Get a 4 lamp, 48 inch shoplight. If you want more that's good, too! I hate compact fluorescents!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol yea, I only suggested the compact fluorescents in case he had a smaller tank. But since it is getting cold as you said, and you keep them in the basement, I would definitely go with some sweet highlanders.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    Lol yea, I only suggested the compact fluorescents in case he had a smaller tank. But since it is getting cold as you said, and you keep them in the basement, I would definitely go with some sweet highlanders.
    Well i have a 1 gallon tank kinda thing and also this http://www.mantisplace.com/mantisnursery.html its the third one down. I can replace the foam with moss and there we go. But i cant seem to find anywhere to buy a light. Any ideas? And what would it look like?
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is entirely too small for neps. You need an aquarium tank or something along those lines.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast