What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will be looking for Cut Nepenthes Upper Pitchers

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
Sometime in March/May of 2008, I will be looking for some upper Nepenthes pitchers. I am looking for some of the smaller pitchers (under 3 inches high excluding the lid). But why?

I have some good friends who work in the local florist and I would like them to help me with a boutonnière (and perhaps matching corsage!) for my last year of school. They do not have any suppliers of Nepenthes pitchers (hmm I wonder why haha) but they said they would be more than happy to help me with the assembly if I could supply the pitchers. This is where I ask for your help. :grin:

I am thinking anywhere from one (1) to four (4) pitchers, preferably from the same species and even better if from the same plant (due to color uniformity etc).

Plants I am considering:

N. eymae
N. dubia
N. inermis
N. hookeriana
Others (?) Perhaps some more colorful ones?

I figured I would put this out here now to make sure everything is ready and prepared in advance. I will gladly pay for the pitchers and their shipment should someone be so kind as to sacrifice such a prized pitcher. I would like to consider all offers before deciding on which plant to use so don't be shy. :)

If any one has any specific plant suggestions, suggestions on how to ship the cut pitchers, or could offer cut pitchers when the time comes please PM me or e-mail me (jeepster_08@hotmail.com)! Actually, any and all input would be greatly appreciated!
With a collaborative effort I think we could make it happen :)
Thanks you all so much,
-J.P.

Last edited:
i may have eymae x veitchii uppers.....its produced its first recently......cant promice you anything that far out but if i have some i could likely be talked out of a couple pitchers

Wow thank you! It's the thought that counts! How big are the uppers on that plant?

depends if the one i have is going to be a "typical" upper......its a couple inches tall......my camera died last week....will haul the shops digital home sometime in the next week and get a pic for you.....

I don't think you'll find any other men wearing corsages so I'd forgo that. The boutonniere is typically worn by men and the corsage is typically worn by women.

Of course it's your big day, and you should do whatever makes you happiest :) You could also do several small lower pitchers utilizing small species like N. glabrata, N. gymnamphora, N. ampullaria. N. hamata would definitely be uber cool and masculine. Albeit a little freaky, especially for people who've never seen it.

I understand the corsage bit.

I was intending the matching corsage for my acquaintance who would be attending the function with me, assuming I find one :-D. I will try to copy some of the essential elements of the boutonnière and apply them to the construction of the corsage (via addition of a pitcher, matching of colors or by other means) thereby making a link between the 2 floral arrangements. The type of corsage then depends of course on whether she wears a dress that is strapless, strapped etc. which would change the design of the corsage.

I agree a small lower hamata would be rather interesting although it could be hard to match color wise. It would definitely be an attention grabber! But good suggestions none the less! I will keep them in mind and add them to my list.

if it weren't so fragile, I'd say turn the hamata or bicalcarata into a pinky ring. That'd be bad-***. At least as much as wearing a leaf on your finger could be.

considering how woody bical pitchers are... i would say that would be ok! :)

They are rather large though aren't they? I'm looking for something small that won't make it look like I'm wearing a small flask on my chest haha.

Don't mean to dig up old threads... :)

April 26th (I was a little off before) is the approaching date and I just wanted to throw this out here again to see if anyone could possibly help.

Thanks again!
-J.P.

are you liiking specificly for uppers? i can cut the remaining 2 pitchers from my muluensis x lowii.and i have a few small pitchers of N. sanguinea too. like basal pitchers. and a fusca sarawak pitcher? im just thinging small here :)
Alex

I probably should have mentioned that thank you! Lower pitchers would be wonderful as well. The size if the biggest factor for obvious reasons. I do not know dress color etc etc yet so I can't decide on one person's pitcher or another's just yet but those would be great Alex!

I also don't know how long the pitchers last after being cut from the main vine... I would guess that they would need to be shipped freshly cut and very humid in order to stay viable.

Thanks,
-J.P.

Bumping.

How's this project coming along? Any luck? Somebody just needs to toss a rajah pitcher your way. Okay, you requested small but you'd make an exception for that, wouldn't ya?

Back