What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis

Status
Not open for further replies.
i really dont see how its fair if you cant afford the plant or even mention other grow sites. should be about the hobby not the business in my opinion

Has there been some sort of change in the way things are being done? We've been trading plants amongst ourselves for years. ??? I thought the only thing frowned upon was begging for plants.

idk jim
and buddhist, this is true, but i can also see from Andy's point of view on not wanting to lose any money on this site by advertising other sites.

D_muscipula said:
I have tons of excess capensis seed and I was won dering if I can do a giveaway,I'm not sure if this is ok since you sell capensis.
are you ok with this?
thanks.

adnedarn said:
...thanks for asking... but there is no way in hell i would ever restrict D. capensis seeds from newbies here! hell, that's the first CP seed i was given and grew (and it was given to me from here.) by all means! GIVE IT AWAY! :)
andrew
DOES THIS SETTLE THINGS?

Welll he is making just enough money to pay for the forum really he has been adding other banners since he needs money to run this forum..
I am thinking a weekly or monthly "Support The Forum :) " plant auction for a few plants like a limit of 3 auctions to keep the NASC auction large. I dunno just thinking,members could pass along weedy cps and forum members could get cps for a small amount of money but support the forum..

Since Andy opened up his shop, you're not allowed to (publicly) give/ask for/trade anything he has in stock. You can do whatever you want in PMs.

The site actually costs a ton to run from what I understand, and his business helps, but in no way fully supports the site. That's why rules like this are in place. End of story (unless he grants exceptions, like he did with the capensis seed).

He's allowed to do that because he owns the site, has to pay for it out of pocket, blah blah blah. It's part of the rules. I don't like the fact that I can't sell stuff here (especially neps he doesn't or will never sell), but it's the rules, so I deal.

No one told me he owns the site. Had i known that i would not have made such a deal about it. now that i do i understand.

wow- This again? ??? My plan is not to restrict D. capensis from the public here. Believe it or not, I do care about everyone here and I also care about my family and I try to keep the impact of me BUYING this forum from affecting them (although so far, unsuccessful). D. capensis is listed on my store because I have them. They are likely not going to make me or break me. That is why I allowed the seed giveaway. And really the occasional D. capensis plant giveaway would be fine too (unless that's going to anger folks who have been not allowed to giveaway/ask for trade etc before. If it's going to cause a problem of not "equally enforcing the rules" then D. capensis plants won't be allowed to be traded/given away either...) but I would hope everyone could see the difference between trading/giveaway of VFT 'Akai Ryu' and D. capensis??

As far as that "Please don't offer/ask for any plants that are sold here at www.flytrapshop.com" rule goes.... that rule was implemented with the old owners of this forum, and I just kept it. None of these rules are new since my ownership the name of the inserted store was simply changed.

Are my prices really so bad that you feel ripped off to buy a plant I carry rather than trade it?

I feel like I've told this store so many times that every one here should know it, but I'll go ahead and tell it again for anyone that have missed it.

The owner of this forum (and a CP store) decided to move on and no longer sell CPs. So he sold his store and started looking for someone to buy the forum. Of course all the "investors" out there just wanted to plaster the forum with ads and let it go unmoderated till it dies, then shut it down. I'm sure some of you would like the forum to be unmoderated, but lets face it, forums that are unmoderated soon turn into a place you don't want to be... anyway, I decided this was a place of my friends and a place I love to spend my time so I took out a loan and purchased the forum. I ran the forum for about 4 months before I decided it was costing too much money (between the loan repayment, server costs etc) and something had to be done.

That is when I decided to open the store. Of course this cost money out front, but hopefully would recoup that, AND start supporting the forums. Let me be clear when I say so far, I have not had a single month go by yet that the advertising on the forums, and store sales have paid all the bills associated with running them. This is why I've kept these rules that some of you hate so much.

I am, on a regular basis confronted by people that are interested in "investing" in the forum at the cost of plastered with ads but I'm not willing to do that. I actually hate ads, and try to keep them at a bare minimum.

I've also said before, that once my store is supporting the forum so it's not costing out of pocket hundreds of dollars a month, that most of these rules would go way. Until then, I need them in place to help me out as much as possible. I already work a full time job, then I started flytrapshop so that terraforums wouldn't be out of pocket, and then I've started a 3rd (part time) job to also help pay for terraforums (man I'd love to quit that one! :jester: ) all this, and I have 2 kids (1yo and 2yo)... You could say I'm pretty busy. :-O

I know this won't make everyone "like" the rules... But it gives you an insight as to why they are implemented.

Andrew

PS- I'd rather not do an auction thing so that the auctions can stay strong for those NASC folks :)

I do not think your prices are too high if I compared your shop to others you'd be cheaper on many of the cps,for instance one shop charges $7.50(some $10 ebay $12) for a barerooted typical capensis your prices are $4.50 for a potted D. capensis so I believe your prices are good...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Andy for keeping the forum running. Truly is a nice place to be.
I think that everyone can second that. Tell your wife I said Thanks for not killing you for keeping it up and running :hail:

Andy, your prices are great, and the plants are exceptional. Hopefully you can expand on your 'for sale' list in the future.

Andy your prices rock out loud !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adrew, had I known before hand that YOU OWNED the shop I would not have made such a big deal about it. No,your prices are great. I thought i had to pay for something else that would cost me more than i anticipated. Now i know i have the $$ so i would be happy to purchase a plant or two and make a donation. (dont deny me giving the donation) I'm sorry this turned into a 3 page upset over 1 plant. like i said hadi known the situation i would not have made such a big deal.
Namaste my friends,
Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back