What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WANTED: D. Falconeri

johnnyfrye

I like drosera.
I have been looking for a Drosera Falconeri for very long and still have not been able to find one. Does ANYONE have any kind of extra Falconeri, Falconeri seeds, or Falconeri seedlings? I am also looking for any tuberous Drosera. Thanks!

-Johnny

Drosera falconeri usually turns up like every other LACPS meeting. Get your rear in gear and show up to a few meetings. The next meeting is in Feb. You're not likely to walk away empty handed.

do they sell peat moss and LFS or something similar at these meetings?

Drosera falconeri usually turns up like every other LACPS meeting. Get your rear in gear and show up to a few meetings. The next meeting is in Feb. You're not likely to walk away empty handed.

Really? I was at the December one and there were only a few Drosera, but I bought them anyway. I had better get there early, and bring lots of money. Do you know what time they usually start? I forgot.

do they sell peat moss and LFS or something similar at these meetings?

Not really as you can usually find this locally in Lowe's, Home Depot and Wal-Mart or other garden centers. Once in a great while there might be a few pots of live Sphagnum.

Really? I was at the December one and there were only a few Drosera, but I bought them anyway. I had better get there early, and bring lots of money. Do you know what time they usually start? I forgot.

The October meeting there were 2 or 3 D. falconeri and no takers. December 2006 meeting there was tons of Drosera and almost no Nepenthes. 2007 was just the opposite. You never know what will turn up. That's the fun of it. Meetings start at 11am but the doors open between 10:30 and 10:45am.

Well I am in ventura I am bummed that I am close but not the right time...

Not really as you can usually find this locally in Lowe's, Home Depot and Wal-Mart or other garden centers.

i don't know about the peat at lowe's.......it has some nutrients in....they call it miracle-grow or something like that......i'm not taking any chance!

i went to OSH, didnt see any o_o i would get it if i found it. asked the guy and the said said no, which OSH did you go to?

The Van Nuys and West LA stores usually has the SunGro Nature brand. The Van Nuys store was out as of a couple weeks ago. I haven't checked the West LA store in a couple months.

Lowe's usually carries LFS (Long Fibre Sphagnum) is is dried Sphagnum moss. Either domesitic stuff from Wisconsin from Mosser Lee or Chilean LFS. The Chilean LFS is sold as "Orchid Moss" but it is 100% LFS. The Mosser Lee is usually with all to other bags if potting mixes and the "Orchid Moss" is usually with - you guessed it - the orchid stuff. LFS is a fine potting medium for most CPs and many of the cultivation guides list it second to Live Sphagnum as prefered media.

The Van Nuys and West LA stores usually has the SunGro Nature brand. The Van Nuys store was out as of a couple weeks ago. I haven't checked the West LA store in a couple months.

Lowe's usually carries LFS (Long Fibre Sphagnum) is is dried Sphagnum moss. Either domesitic stuff from Wisconsin from Mosser Lee or Chilean LFS. The Chilean LFS is sold as "Orchid Moss" but it is 100% LFS. The Mosser Lee is usually with all to other bags if potting mixes and the "Orchid Moss" is usually with - you guessed it - the orchid stuff. LFS is a fine potting medium for most CPs and many of the cultivation guides list it second to Live Sphagnum as prefered media.

I've never seen LFS at my local Lowe's or Home Depot. I've only looked for it a few times at Lowe's (because it is kinda far), but I always check when I'm at Home Depot (quite often). I guess I'll have to frequent Lowe's more often. Any other garden center chains you can think of that might carry it? I know you're in LA, but I figure a lot of the inventory should be the same being as close as we are.

I've yet to find LFS any place else than Lowe's or hydroponics or orchid specialty shops.

Home Depot has it in little bags, right with the decorative moss, along with the Scott's brand of whatever and Perlite.

If you're in Northern Ohio, Petitti's Garden Centers carry it.

Not that any of you are. Maybe somebody reading this post is.

Some of the DO ITi centers have lfs the good stuff that is blond and red

Home Depot has it in little bags, right with the decorative moss, along with the Scott's brand of whatever and Perlite.

WARNING!! This was mentioned previously in this thread, but not everyone is realizing this...

The Scott's and Miracle Gro brands of Sphagnum, peat, perlite, and other products can contain fertilizers and other chemicals which can KILL your plants! Make sure to read the package before you purchase this stuff.

Make sure you know what's in the products you are using; this can be the death of your plants!

Regards,

Mike

Just for the record, I've used Scotts perlite and have never had a problem with it. Stay away from the miracle grow brand of peat & perlite though. They're always "enriched with miracle grow plant food".

My bad - OSH carries Uni-Gro Premium Organic Peat Moss, not SunGro as I stated previously. It just says "Peat Moss" on the bag but it is 100% Sphagnum.

I've been using Scott's perlite for years. That stuff is fine.
I used either Mosser Lee or that "Orchid" brick at Lowe's whenever I used sphag. Never had a problem...and I routinely fertilize.

Muhahhaha I found some LFS at Lowe's. Both the Mosser Lee kind and 'Better-Gro' kind that PK is talking about. Thx for the heads up NAN. I had searched for it before, but they must not have had any in at the time. IMO the 'Better-Gro' brand seems to be higher quality, although slightly more costly.

I once made the mistake of buying Miracle-Gro Perlite and didn't realize it had fertilizer in it until I had opened the bag. The plants that are potted in it don't seem to mind so much, since it was only the perlite that was fertilized in their mix, but I bought some very nice horticultural grade stuff from a Hydroponics shop to replace it anyway.

I was also considering using tiny cubes (about 1 cubic centimeter each) of rockwool in my growing mix before I found LFS. My previous experiences with rockwool though (although not CPs) was that the roots are impossible to remove from the rockwool without damage. Because the tiny cubes wouldn't be as bad as a large cube (about 6") I was thinking this might be a good alternative. I think I will stick with the LFS though. It's much nicer looking :).

Back