Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chinese Mantids for trade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at constant 80 i think it would kill them and the higher the temp the quicker they grow which shortens the lifespan. Frankie spiders (smaller then the mantis) are ok. Crickets and roaches (which are cleaner and hardier than crix) are the most common type of food for med (2-3inches) and larger types (3-4"). VERY few are communal such as ghosts and texas unicorn but if put in a huge enclosure like 5 ft tall and left alone except for feeding and misting they will breed and feed as natural. Just dont forget the ooths Generally the larger the mantis species the more aggressive towards others it will be. The most aggresive that i have fouind are the Giant asians which have been found up to 5" and eating a 10" snake. They only catch moving prey which is important!!!! You Can however hold a dead cricket by a leg and wiggle it and the mantis will take it. I have done this several times and its great sometimes... the reason i say that is that the mantis was smaller than the cricket. Also the "Giant" Species (giant indian Giant shield Giant Asian etc) will take prey larger than themselves such as my nymphs (babies) did. At L4 (shed 3 times) They are pretty hardy as a general rule for mantids. All are capable of eating eachother when food is scarce etc. Others will attack just cause a sibling is near.
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah they are wild pretty much everywhere-it's just 75-80 is optimum! You know, just like NY!

Adam-i still wouldn't risk spiders. I mean, we are bigger than cobra's, and we dont screw with them.

But think of all the problems crix can cause. Trust me, it's alot easier w/out them. Maybe you just had clean crix-mine are deadly to mantids once eaten.

5 ft. enclosures are for breeding colonies, not communal species. I keep multiple ghosts together in a 64 oz. cup with no problem.

Oh, thanks for all the inquiries guys! I think i've responded to all of them!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obregon562 View Post
    Yeah they are wild pretty much everywhere-it's just 75-80 is optimum! You know, just like NY!

Adam-i still wouldn't risk spiders. I mean, we are bigger than cobra's, and we dont screw with them.

But think of all the problems crix can cause. Trust me, it's alot easier w/out them. Maybe you just had clean crix-mine are deadly to mantids once eaten.

5 ft. enclosures are for breeding colonies, not communal species. I keep multiple ghosts together in a 64 oz. cup with no problem.

Oh, thanks for all the inquiries guys! I think i've responded to all of them!
    Eh depends on how ig the spider is...they do it in the wild all the time...
    Crix can be deathly but they are the most common feeding source and then roaches.

The 5 ft enclosure can be done is all i was saying not reccomending.
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Someday is not a day of the week. Maxx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to get better at opening my mantis container and keeping them all in.
    One time one of my little nymphs jumped onto my carpet and of course it matches perfectly with the carpet. Luckily, I found it without squishing it.
    I regret little to nothing!

My Growlist

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for mentioning you got them from me Maxx and you were very happy! *cough-cough*
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123