What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chinese Mantids for trade

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
Hey guys!

Well, aside from cp's, i also vigourously breed mantids.

Well, one of my ootheca (egg cases) hatched, and i have 300+ little mantises scurrrying around!

If you want any, let me know, i can hook you up! I'll give you detailed "how to's" and anything else you want! Oh, they are chinese mantises by the way...

PM me!
Frankie

I just want to see what 300 mantises in one place looks like. Picture?

I have taken some...but they are in 3 seperate containers!

I will try and upload...im a little pictorialy challenged...

They aren't adults yet either; quite the opposite really. They are about 1.5 cm long.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to consider having a mod place this thread in the trading forum. Lots of people don't make it down this far ....

Just a thought .... ???

Good idea Ron!

I was thinking of putting it there...but then it said "carnivorous plant trading forum" and i was confuzzelled...

But yeah, would you nice, mods switch it? Thanks in advance!

Looking to trade for CPs right? As long as your open to accepting CPs in the trade there is no problem with it being listed here :)
Oh, and moved
Andrew

I never though of feeding my FVT's mantises :-))

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!

lol thjbr - I was thinking of getting some mantids and using CPs in their habitat. Not a VFT but like capensis and stuff. I wonder if they'd be able to get away.

I would love to get some mantids...

I'd be willing to trade some capensis or something...unfortuanately I only have pretty common cps

if you can wait a bit, I can trade you some mimosa pudica (sensitive plants, leaves close when you touch them) seeds. The flowers are just emerging...

lol thjbr - I was thinking of getting some mantids and using CPs in their habitat. Not a VFT but like capensis and stuff. I wonder if they'd be able to get away.

Nope they wouldnt mate. They'd get eaten and digested..thats what CPs do :D

Hmmm...I'm not totally convinced they would be attracted to the plants (at least to the extent of other bugs). They are carnivores.

True, but they like to be up high and do like things that are sweet such as bananas and no im not kidding :D

I might be interested! What do mantises require (in the way of food and a tank and everything)?

Wow! wasn't expecting such interest!

Yeah, i wouldn't recommend keeping the mantids with most cp's...especially drosera, pings, and the other stickies...i keep a few exotics in my lowland nepenthes greenhouse with no problem...

Trek, that is kinda a huge question. It's like saying what do cp's require...

The chinese mantids im offering are pretty tough...they like ~60% humidity, fruit flies for food, then regular flies when they outgrow those (or any other insect-just not ants, wasps, and other poisonous insects)...They like to have cover-i use fake leaves...Oh, they need temps ~80...Keep them in containers no smaller than 3x its length and 2 it's heigth so it's easy to shed (yes, they shed 7 times until they become adults with wings)...I recommend 32 oz cups for smaller ones and either those small butter fly nets or some other moderatly large enclosure for bigger ones...Dont forget to mist them...

Hopefully this helps!

Mist them? Temps over 80?

Are these the same chinese mantids that are ferral-native here in NY?

OUR chinese mantids are tougher the YOOOOOOUUUUURRRRSSSS! :-P-:

at constant 80 i think it would kill them and the higher the temp the quicker they grow which shortens the lifespan. Frankie spiders (smaller then the mantis) are ok. Crickets and roaches (which are cleaner and hardier than crix) are the most common type of food for med (2-3inches) and larger types (3-4"). VERY few are communal such as ghosts and texas unicorn but if put in a huge enclosure like 5 ft tall and left alone except for feeding and misting they will breed and feed as natural. Just dont forget the ooths :D Generally the larger the mantis species the more aggressive towards others it will be. The most aggresive that i have fouind are the Giant asians which have been found up to 5" and eating a 10" snake. They only catch moving prey which is important!!!! You Can however hold a dead cricket by a leg and wiggle it and the mantis will take it. I have done this several times and its great sometimes... the reason i say that is that the mantis was smaller than the cricket. Also the "Giant" Species (giant indian Giant shield Giant Asian etc) will take prey larger than themselves such as my nymphs (babies) did. At L4 (shed 3 times) They are pretty hardy as a general rule for mantids. All are capable of eating eachother when food is scarce etc. Others will attack just cause a sibling is near.

Yeah they are wild pretty much everywhere-it's just 75-80 is optimum! You know, just like NY! :-))

Adam-i still wouldn't risk spiders. I mean, we are bigger than cobra's, and we dont screw with them. ;)

But think of all the problems crix can cause. Trust me, it's alot easier w/out them. Maybe you just had clean crix-mine are deadly to mantids once eaten.

5 ft. enclosures are for breeding colonies, not communal species. I keep multiple ghosts together in a 64 oz. cup with no problem.

Oh, thanks for all the inquiries guys! I think i've responded to all of them! :D

Yeah they are wild pretty much everywhere-it's just 75-80 is optimum! You know, just like NY! :-))

Adam-i still wouldn't risk spiders. I mean, we are bigger than cobra's, and we dont screw with them. ;)

But think of all the problems crix can cause. Trust me, it's alot easier w/out them. Maybe you just had clean crix-mine are deadly to mantids once eaten.

5 ft. enclosures are for breeding colonies, not communal species. I keep multiple ghosts together in a 64 oz. cup with no problem.

Oh, thanks for all the inquiries guys! I think i've responded to all of them! :D

Eh depends on how ig the spider is...they do it in the wild all the time...
Crix can be deathly but they are the most common feeding source and then roaches.

The 5 ft enclosure can be done is all i was saying not reccomending.

I need to get better at opening my mantis container and keeping them all in. :-))
One time one of my little nymphs jumped onto my carpet and of course it matches perfectly with the carpet. Luckily, I found it without squishing it.

Back