What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mint

Does anyone know where I can get a mint plant or seeds. I just want mint, not peppermint or spearmint. Thanks.

Hmm you tried looking in the seed section at like walmart closer to spring? If I remember right they have mint in the herb section.

We have a lot of mint plants in our yard, but I don't know how to tell if they are peppermint, spearmint, or just mint (what's the difference). I put them in tea.

You're for the cost of shipping if you want 'em.

Mint doesn't produce very true from seed. The best thing to do is to find a plant you like (flavor, aroma, whatever) in someone's garden and root some of it.

Well the food store here has "Mint" but it's cut. Is there anyway I coule get them to take root? The seeds at walmart are peppermint or spearmint. It has to be the right mint to make mojitos. Those are delicious. And tea.

Oooooh....Mojito

Does it use the same mint as a Julep?

I'm not sure I never tried a Julep. Maybe that's the type of mint to use.

Lemon Balm is cool it is lemony and chickens eat the plants then they come back :)
On mint from JLAP or wallmart.. Now that I'm thinking mint is another thing I want since I saw some in my yard but dad sprayed them with a heavy duty black berry killer.

Your basic "mint" IS peppermint. Then you have all the other varieties...orange, spearmint, chocolate, etc. So if a plant is labeled "peppermint", that is the plant you want for "mint."

And...I'll warn you about lemon balm. It is horribly invasive. Somehow it got into my rear alley garden and I cannot get rid of it. It seeds copiously and/or spreads by runners. I have been pulling up every scrap I find for years and it still pops up everywhere. Its as bad as blackberry only it doesn't slice you open with horrible thorns.

peppermint is what my dad usues to make juleps during Derby. (and boy are they good!!)

Alex

Mine clumps it grows slow here .... Besides chikens like it so it keeps down but I could imagine it being invasive but blackberries are super invasive around here.

Back