Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: lots for trade very soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nep max,
    Weather someone owns the land or not, dont harvest a whole lot of plants just so you can trade them to someone else. Why not take seed off them? Then the plants survive and you can still trade. Maybe if you take a whole lot of plants and no one wants them then you will have taken them for no good reason. Believe it or not the plants are not there just for your benifit. Live and let live.
    Ross
    My Growlist

My Webpage with photos I took On Mt Kinabalu

CP LOVER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are so many in this area i could take 10 million different plants and there would be 100 billion left! Plus they grow back every year when the snow melts and will just get stepped on by dumb *** fisherman that do not even know they exist! anyway you guys do not know the full situation for privacy reasons so everybody with an opinion should know facts before spewing out fiction!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I suggest a very small percentage or where the fishermen's favorite spots are like saving them from there doom then your no doing anything to the population since they would be dead anyways

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Floating sphagnum bogs are a rarity and the plants that grow on them are precious, no matter how many or few.

Why don't you harvest just a few seeds, grow the plants out yourself and trade those?

If you insist on doing this, make sure you note in your trade offer that the plants are wild collected.

Remember...you may not the only person wild collecting these plants...and it adds up. This is how plant populations become decimated over time.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

CP LOVER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they are legal! I am just not going to give out every exact piece of information because it would give away their location. I want them to be around for my two sons to enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please don't collect hundreds. You only need a few or even a few leaves or roots, and with those and a bit of research you can probably make hundreds of plants through vegetative propagation that will be mature within a year or so.
    It may seem like there are tons, but in fact this "secret spot" might be one of just a few populations for this plant. As PAK said, floating sphagnum bogs are all being wiped out, and they are fragile habitats. All I ask is that you be mindful of this and not take too many. And as I said, you wouldn't be able to trade off more than 1 or 2 here.
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is exactly how people think when they collect wild plants. Everyone thinks....."aaah! I am just taking only one. What difference does it make?" Slowly if everyone does that....the entire species gets dessimated. No matter how common or how easy they may be...it is still poaching from the wild. As others said...if you are indeed soo keen and are going to do it. Just get their seed. THis way the adults stay.

You also have to realise that wild plants have tons of pests in them and in most cases they can't survive being ripped from the ground where they naturally grow. Hence in all cases, harvesting SOME seed (at least better than ripping out plants) is better and keeps it going without too much probs and you can have some good diversity with the seeds as well.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW...this is the exact same thought ppl had when they were hunting passenger pigeons by the hundreds till it was left no more. The exact same thought when the dodo was driven to extinction. Its the attitude of "there are thousands here....what if I take a hundred." You never know...maybe in there, there is a new undiscovered species that is very very limited.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast