What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lots for trade very soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

nep max

CP LOVER
here are some of my cps! I also have a secret spot by my cabin in northern california that has millions of sundews (Drosera) that grow naturally on a huge floating sphagnum moss bog on a lake! In about two months I will be harvesting hundreds of them and they will all be available for trade!:-D :-D
(WHEN I FIRST POSTED THIS I SHOULD HAVE STATED THE FOLLOWING......
I AM GOING TO TAKE (HARVEST) SEEDS, MAYBE A COUPLE OF CUTTINGS, AND MAYBE TRY SAVING A COUPLE FROM BEING STEPPED ON AND KILLED BY FISHERMAN!!!!!
SO STOP ACTING LIKE I AM GOING TO DESTROY THE INVIROMENT BECAUSE I AM DOING NO SUCH THING!)

photo

Last edited:
Secret spot? You DO own the property they are on, or have permission from the land owner, right?

Just checking.

I am having problems uploading the pics cuz whenever I try it just posts the url.
and no I do not have permission from the land owner because nobody owns the land! It is in the middle of the wilderness!

I promise you, someone owns the land :) No land is not owned except Antarctica (well, sort of). If no person owns it, then a company may own it, and if a company does not own it, then the government (everyone) owns it.

Don't take anything until you get your ducks in a row, otherwise it's poaching (no matter how common or numerous the plants are.)

Also be respectful of the site and the plants that grow there. If they were near my house, I'd leave them alone, and I'd urge you to do the same. But if you must, only harvest a tiny, tiny portion of what's there and leave the site like you found it. Don't harvest enough to make a difference. You wouldn't be able to trade off more than two or three on this forum anyway.

If you want a lot of these, go to the site and cut off a bunch of leaves. Then, sit them on top of peat moss in a bright place and you'll have lots of leaflets after a while. These These will grow into adult plants.

nep max,
Weather someone owns the land or not, dont harvest a whole lot of plants just so you can trade them to someone else. Why not take seed off them? Then the plants survive and you can still trade. Maybe if you take a whole lot of plants and no one wants them then you will have taken them for no good reason. Believe it or not the plants are not there just for your benifit. Live and let live.
Ross

there are so many in this area i could take 10 million different plants and there would be 100 billion left! Plus they grow back every year when the snow melts and will just get stepped on by dumb *** fisherman that do not even know they exist! anyway you guys do not know the full situation for privacy reasons so everybody with an opinion should know facts before spewing out fiction!

Well I suggest a very small percentage or where the fishermen's favorite spots are like saving them from there doom then your no doing anything to the population since they would be dead anyways

Floating sphagnum bogs are a rarity and the plants that grow on them are precious, no matter how many or few.

Why don't you harvest just a few seeds, grow the plants out yourself and trade those?

If you insist on doing this, make sure you note in your trade offer that the plants are wild collected.

Remember...you may not the only person wild collecting these plants...and it adds up. This is how plant populations become decimated over time.

they are legal! I am just not going to give out every exact piece of information because it would give away their location. I want them to be around for my two sons to enjoy!

Please don't collect hundreds. You only need a few or even a few leaves or roots, and with those and a bit of research you can probably make hundreds of plants through vegetative propagation that will be mature within a year or so.
It may seem like there are tons, but in fact this "secret spot" might be one of just a few populations for this plant. As PAK said, floating sphagnum bogs are all being wiped out, and they are fragile habitats. All I ask is that you be mindful of this and not take too many. And as I said, you wouldn't be able to trade off more than 1 or 2 here.

this is exactly how people think when they collect wild plants. Everyone thinks....."aaah! I am just taking only one. What difference does it make?" Slowly if everyone does that....the entire species gets dessimated. No matter how common or how easy they may be...it is still poaching from the wild. As others said...if you are indeed soo keen and are going to do it. Just get their seed. THis way the adults stay.

You also have to realise that wild plants have tons of pests in them and in most cases they can't survive being ripped from the ground where they naturally grow. Hence in all cases, harvesting SOME seed (at least better than ripping out plants) is better and keeps it going without too much probs and you can have some good diversity with the seeds as well.

BTW...this is the exact same thought ppl had when they were hunting passenger pigeons by the hundreds till it was left no more. The exact same thought when the dodo was driven to extinction. Its the attitude of "there are thousands here....what if I take a hundred." You never know...maybe in there, there is a new undiscovered species that is very very limited.

you guys are just jealous and do not know enough about the situation to have any opinion! I should have kept my mouth shut because unless I fill u in on every piece of information (including location), you just wont get the point! so it is just pointless at this point! FYI I am only taking the plants that will get stepped on and killed by fisherman who walk out on the floating bog to fish!

I don't suppose it is around Mt. Lassen which is where you apparently go fishing according to your profile. If it is, I'm sure you realize it's also a national park?

Max, the point is be mindful of the environment. Its not about right and wrong it is about CONSERVATION. Yes, plants may be stepped on by fishermen but what do you think if you're out there collecting as well, or an animal trods on the bog. Damage is going to happen whether it is natural or unnatural.

Ignore most the lawful views and just view for yourself, CONSERVE and be respectful. I do not disapprove of you taking seeds/leaves/cuttings etc, but if you DO remove a plant, be sure to REPLACE it with some of the ones you have managed to reproduce.

The other point here is that these Drosera species are most likely already in circulation so you wouldn't have a high demand for them to begin with. Don't become so harsh and angry at people that are just explaining things to you. For one to fully understand something, he must embrace it all, not just one view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back