What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi All,
I'm putting up this list- I'm trying to gauge how to go about doing this: I'm hoping to offer the following to those in the general area where I live, near Philadelphia, PA, or anyone who wants to come here from where ever, as I'm pretty sure some would drive a bit for some of these plants. Basically the deal is, these are all plants that I don't want to ship, as they are either too big/ too rare/ or too heavy. I'd like to trade towards Sarracenia, but what I'm most into is Sarr. purpurea and rosea; I'd like to trade these plants towards Sarr.s w/ locale info., esp. purps. I just wanted to see how feasable this would be/how many people are in my area or would want to come out to this area, and whether a one day open house trade at my house would work, or if it'd have to be on a first come first served individual basis. Also, maybe 'meeting in the middle' might allow more people opportunities to trade. In other words, I need responses to this thread from anyone who'd be interested, so I can get an idea. Anyway, no more talking, this is what I got (I can post pics too-just ask);

All traded by pot, plants are not broken up- I don’t have time to repot, for pickup only, can’t ship

Drosera:
glabripes(old, long stemmed specimen)
regia (in one huge pot, multi crowned, 1 from California Carnivores (could be ‘Big Easy’- not sure, haven’t tried leaf cuttings), 1 seed grown from wild seed from Bainskloof, many pups- overall approx. 10+ growth points- 11 years old, windowsill)
cuneifolia (about 5 plants in pot)
slackii (1 plant in pot)
aliciae (wild seed from Cape Town, spectacular clone, 1st place at Philly Flower Show)
hilaris (4-6 pots of, from seed collected above Durban Gardens, RSA- mature size)
cistiflora (4 growths in one pot, purple flower)
sp ‘silverhill seeds’ ‘cape town rosette’(3 pots, each crammed full of sundew)

Brocchinia reducta- densely-crowned (8+ growths) huge pot, flowering plant

Pinguicula:
cyclosecta X 2 (2 plants per pot)
sp. ‘Huahuapan’
macrophylla X 2 (2 plants per pot)
sp. ‘Lautner 92/52’
rectifolia
‘Pirouette’ X 2
agnata ‘red leaf’
rotundiflora
gracilis
esseriana (3-4 plants in pot)
gigantea x moctezumae
moranensis ‘fraser beaut’
laueana (2 plants in pot)
moranensis var. orchioides
sp. ‘Koehres’

Heliamphora nutans- 9 time 1st. place winner in the Philly Flower Show- nearly got best in show rosette- spectacular- don’t know why I’m selling- has approx. 3 mature divisions in 1 big live sphag. pot, and two seedlings-have owned since 2000- presently has maturing seed pods, and one crown is dividing to two- the pride of my collection for sure!

Nepenthes:
clipeata- the real deal, from Wistuba, mature, near flowering, with a large basal growth as well. Pitchers near 8-10” tall- must be a good deal for this one!
rajah- BE clone 2- have owned it since 2001, when it was ½” wide- now approx. 12” wide, with nice pitchers coming
lavicola- approx. 2 foot vine, mature, don’t know sex yet, large basal offset
N. ovata- from Exotica Plants, about 7 years ago; a top cutting, with a basal node- exceptional clone, lower pitchers are as black as a ramispina pitcher, and robust-my last and only cutting from original large vine

Many Nep. seedlings, though not sure if I want to release any just yet:
Nep. macfarlanei ‘Mt. Ulu Kali,Genting Highlands, Malaysia’- 2 ½ years from seed, approx. 3” wide, very colorful pitchers
Nep. ventricosa ‘Red’ x Mira- 1 ½ years from seed, approx. 4” wide
N. ventricosa ‘Red Giant’ x ventricosa ‘Black Peristome’- 1 year old from seed, 4” inches wide already!

Stylidium:
debilies- new species, multiple growths, one clone, from Queensland, Aus.

May be some other carnivores (Sarracenia?), if I can be convinced …

Non carnivores:
Cycad; Encephalartos macrostrobilus (magnificent young, caudex plant)
Orchids: Bucket orchids,etc; Stanhopea xytriophora, Coryanthes bruckmuelleri, Cory. macrantha, Gongora sp. ‘1202’(undescribed); SPECIMEN; Gongora chocoensis (Spectacular clone and specimen- HUGE!)

In production:
Nep. mira xx Briggsiana ‘Hortus Botanicus clone’
N. aristolochioides x diatas ‘meadow form’
N. aristolochioides x (ventricosa x talangensis)- seedlings, should look very much like an aristo, but one that can grow on your windowsill, and withstand neglect, with hardiness like ventricosa
N. aristolochioides x tentaculata ‘Mt. Kinabalu form’
N. mira seedlings

Anyway, that's the list. Tell me what you think, thanks all, Nick Haywood 'bluesboy'

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowhere near you, but I hope you decide to at least post pictures :) I'd kill for a glimpse at some of that stuff.

I would kill a man to live in PA or the tristate area right now. Nice collection. Hope you get some great Sarracenia in trade.

xvart.

noooooooooooooooooooooo i woant those plants but live west of the country *uck:censor:

yeah! could u possibly post a pic of some of those plants. I am in canada so no hope for me to even imagine about this offer...but damn! a fully grown clipeata, a seed setting heli nutans, a 7 yr old rajah.... its just getting me too excited. lol!

I hope you reconsider your no shipping policy when those aristolochioides hybrid seeds are ready. sigh...

I saw this H. nutans and the pot of D. aliciae at the Philly Phlower Show. They really are spectabulous. I might even have some pics somewhere, if I can find them on the comp.

pm'd

I am not in PA but those Orchids sound dreamy along with alot of the Neps. Too bad they are too large to ship.

it's probably a 45 minute drive from where i live:), might be interested in a lowland or intermediate nep.

Is there any chance you can act as a broker? ;)

i rather not:/ I never sent a package to anyone b4 and i not even sure if there's something there i want

Hi All,
Some members have expressed interest in pictures- I'm just starting to get some up of some of the plants I have for trade so bear with me. Here are some though;

Here's one pot full of Drosera sp. 'Silverhill Seeds' unknown
2385815167_bc7f198092_m.jpg

Here's a seedling Nep. ventricosa 'red' x 'black peristome'- it'll take a little while to get the adult color, but not bad for a one and a half year old seedling, eh?- it's circa. 4" wide
2385814913_bee551a769_m.jpg

Here's a group shot- I've got about 15 total, all this size, but details-wise, they vary, since they're seed grown;
2385814627_07dde467e3_m.jpg

The following is of a plant that I have a few of that I'm also wanting to trade for Sarracenia; it's the orchid Coryanthes bruckmuelleri, and for all you freaks out there that want to believe in carnivorous flowers, this is about as close as it comes:-O

The bud starts like this;
2385816719_78ae4dd829_m.jpg

Then the bud opens, turning the flower inside out, and in doing so creating a big bucket... but for what?:0o:
2386649388_9e6c232724_m.jpg

After a little while, along with an intoxicating scent, comes a huge secretion of nectar that fills the bucket of the flower- in nature it traps bumblebees for pollination- in my backyard it decided to kill half of the gnats and moths in the neighborhood. Be assured no insects were harmed in the flowering of this orchid:blush: well, maybe a few... but it was their choice I swear!
2386647774_8ba32a6c67_m.jpg

Anyway, that's enough fun for tonight... I'll be updating this thread as I get more pics of the stuff for trade, Enjoy, Nick Haywood 'bluesboy'

Now that's a
Pot-O-Drosera :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Gentlemen, let's keep to the topic at hand, shall we?

OT post have been deleted.

added pic-drosera regia, all hail!!!

Hey, just adding some more photos as I get a chance; here's what the pot of Drosera regia that I have for trade looks like- it's been on my windowsill for about 10 years now, and has to be repotted again, and it's gotta go, because if I put it in a bigger pot, you won't be able to see out the window :-O

A 'birds eye view' w/ hand, and yeah, that's a gallon water container to the left, just for scale.
2418061166_e77e7e7cdc.jpg

a closer up, showing a few of the numerous growths
2418060182_eb5a8fe5fa.jpg

showing all the divisions coming off this clone
2417243305_f56542f37a.jpg

Finally, my secret- to get it this big, you thought I just fed it flies? Here is this weeks sacrifice to the king...:hail: :hail: :hail: :jester:
2417242657_16413b56e4.jpg

I'll be adding more pics to give everyone an idea of what I got, and what they all look like, and start to get an idea when to perhaps have 'plant day' here at my place. I'll be updating soon, see ya for now, Nick 'bluesboy'

just one more I forgot

I forgot to show the other clone in the pot:

a better look at the other clone, this one is seed grown from seed collected in Bainskloof South Africa, by Silverhill Seeds-it's 10 years from seed- it's much larger overall than the other clone from Peter D'Amato, with longer more elegant leaves and a paler overall cast, and a number of suckers coming up from the roots as well, if you can see under the crown in the live sphagnum
2418060862_890eec334c.jpg

Enjoy, Nick 'bluesboy'

HOLY FUDGE‼‼

.....and THAT'S why they call it the King, ladies & gentlemen..................... :hail:

Back