What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Praying matis egg sacks for trade

I don't have much to offer for trade as far as plants... ... but i do have tons of praying mantis egg sacks through my gardens from last year. So i have 5+ to offer for trade.

They are each about the size of smasher marble (1 inch round).

Looking for VFTs or any heliamphora.

PM if you are interested.

Thanks,

m

What species?

Tenodera? Stagmomantis? M. religiosa?

type

I couldn't tell you what type. I am southern ohio, but it looks like those varieties are widespread. It definitely isn't the religiosa type. The type that was laying these in the fall where very large (5in+).

Below is a link to show you what they look like.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/40492/bgimage

That ooth could be a number of types....but if they were 5", no doubt it was a chinese mantis.

Yup.. i did more looking around.... and they do look to be the Chinese mantis.

*cough cough* the egg sacks are called ootheca's (euw-the-kuh-z) just so ya know. It's more fun to say. You should keep one in a warm spot and watch it hatch! These things have like 300+ babies in them!

?

So what's the deal with the mantis eggs? Are they eventual food for plants, or just a cool bug?

These are just for fun to add to your yard as beneficial insects. There are still 10+ sacks out in the yard now of this variety and the smaller (i think) carolina mantis variety. It is amazing to see a bush or shrub be just filled with hundreds of small mantis when they hatch.

I would find the large adults just hanging out in my Sars waiting for bees and wasps to come flying in. Fun to watch them.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

m

Want a vft and a D.capilaris for two of them?

Chinese mantis? Cool! That's what I have. They make lots of babies.

The end- All out -

Thanks.

Back