What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sensitive Plant Seeds for Trade

Roarbark

Interesting Specimen
I have a bunch (maybe 100 or so, I havent counted them) of Mimosa Pudica "Sensitive Plant" Seeds that i got free after complaining about a vendor's shipping time for trade. (Indeed, the squeaky wheel gets the grease). I have a weedy thorned variety of mimosa that grows everywhere around here, so i'm sure many people would get more fascination and novelty out of it then I would :). Im open to just about anything, just give me a P'M or post.

Edit: Please know that I will need time to get my act together; I will need to go out and buy bubble envelopes, mini plastic bags, and such shipping material stuffses.
(This will have been my first trade, so bear with [And teach] me.)

how do you germinate them? do they need potting soil and are they hardy? I am not use to growing anything other than cp's the only flowers we have our on their own out in the flowerbed.

they are hardy and cool, I suggest you get them D.

In my experience they were very easy to germinate. I collected seeds from the thorned varieties around my yard just to see if i could make them germinate, and did the following:
1. Filled a small clear plastic salsa container with a type of moss that grows on rocks around my yard (holds water well, and is sorta like sphagnum)
2. stick the seeds around on top of the moss
3. Cover seeds with a small topdressing of moss.
4. Wait.
5. I didn't count seeds, or seedlings, but I remember i had a bunch pop up (and they still are), where I am now trying to germinate a couple foxtail palm seeds. Its sort of my evil laboratory of seeds I'd like to grow, but don't particularly care enough about to pay attention to. (Apart from going down and wrenching off the top dressing every few weeks or so xD)

They are native to Central/South America, around Brazil. They can be frost sensitive, so its better to keep them warm if at all possible. They grow in well drained soils, and can grow in fairly low nutrient soils because they are able to fix nitrogen from the air. (I don't think I'd trust such bleak soils as the CP's inhabit, however :))

I'm not sure if the variety of seeds i'm trading has thorns(I'm not sure what kind grows around my yard), but just to be safe, Assume this plant has thorns.

"the variety in Hawaii is reported to be toxic to livestock." So if i give you any i say are collected from my yard(which none of these are) dont feed them to your household pets :p.
Even so, i dont think you'd want to xD

Hi,

I have grown Mimosa pudica from seed and it was very easy. I put them in a container and poured boiling water over them and left them for 24 hours. I then just spread them on top of a pot with regular potting mix and within a week they germinated. I would say the strike rate was above 80% but I didn't count them.

They do have small thorns in the leaf axils but they are only a problem if you are running your hands along the stems. They do require a little protection from frosts. Otherwise they are easy to grow and act as a good distraction for any one that has trouble with people setting off their VFT's.

I imagine that fresh seed is the key.

I've never had any seed I bought germinate. So I suspect old seed from several bad vendors.

I've tried both species too.

Mimosa pudica
Mimosa invisa

I warm up a glass of hot water and dump the seeds into the glass. I leave them there until I see it send out a root. Then plant them up and that's that.

I don't know how old the seeds are, since igot them free with an order, but I imagine they aren't ancient.

Back