Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Sensitive Plant" seeds still available

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Well, the seeds are good I planted them maybe 3 days ago (after doing the hot water over night thing... well, over night and a day.. and a night LOL) and today I found this
    Whoo hoo! there you have it ladies and gentlemen!
    (Now whats this about hot water? O.o) Soaked them?

Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    I'd like to get this into my collection as well. What kind of stuff are you looking for? I have a lot of common/semi-common Drosera about ready for division, and miscellaneous things in most other genera. I take it you're probably in the market for tropicals?
    ~Joe
    Yes, tropicals are the most desirable for me at the moment.
    Out of the sundews on your growlist I'd probably be most interested in the Binata Multifida/Multifida Extrema, and the pygmies.

Do you have any small-medium duplicate neps you'd be willing to part with?

Man am I ever tired, I've been up for 20 1/2 hours, in which I've: ridden 200 or so miles in the car to the other side of the island and back, competed in a track meet (in which I ran 3 miles total in my events), and gone to a party when I arrived back, where I jumped on a trampoline for 1-2 hours, playing dodge ball with a spikey dog toy, a flat soccer ball and a toy mini volley ball...
    Therefore I reason that I should go to sleep.
    Looking foward to hearing from you,
    -Justin

"If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I'll bet they'd live a lot differently." –Bill Watterson
    "Humankind is a man standing atop a pyramid while slowly chipping away at its foundation. " -Me

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man am I ever tired, I've been up for 20 1/2 hours, in which I've: ridden 200 or so miles in the car to the other side of the island and back, competed in a track meet (in which I ran 3 miles total in my events), and gone to a party when I arrived back, where I jumped on a trampoline for 1-2 hours, playing dodge ball with a spikey dog toy, a flat soccer ball and a toy mini volley ball...
    Therefore I reason that I should go to sleep.
    Looking foward to hearing from you,
    -Justin
    Dude you need to stop chewing those coca leaves.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I read about the hot/warm/boiling water thing in your other topic... ( http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112698 ) I was short on time so I honestly never did too much research into it... I just microwaved some water to get it warm, tossed the seeds in it... it sat there over night and through the next day, then I dumped most the water out, and the rest of the water and seeds into a zip lock baggie... I hung that on the fridge at my parents (where the g/h is) forgot to plant them that day... I think I forgot the next day too... then the day after that I was leaving and saw them, so just ran out and kinda dumped them in a pot. (that's why there are some clustered in the middle, although i did use tweezers to move some around) Yesterday, I used the tweezers again and moved some from the middle to another pot, and some just around in the same pot....
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not meaning to hijack, but could the seed water thing work with CPs?
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Dude you need to stop chewing those coca leaves.
    *grins*. No coca leaves me for.
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I read about the hot/warm/boiling water thing in your other topic... ( http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112698 ) I was short on time so I honestly never did too much research into it... I just microwaved some water to get it warm, tossed the seeds in it... it sat there over night and through the next day, then I dumped most the water out, and the rest of the water and seeds into a zip lock baggie... I hung that on the fridge at my parents (where the g/h is) forgot to plant them that day... I think I forgot the next day too... then the day after that I was leaving and saw them, so just ran out and kinda dumped them in a pot. (that's why there are some clustered in the middle, although i did use tweezers to move some around) Yesterday, I used the tweezers again and moved some from the middle to another pot, and some just around in the same pot....
    Hmm. Well, this process definitely wasn't necessary for me to get germination when I tried with the seeds from plants around my yard, but perhaps it helps provide a more uniform germination.

Very interesting idea Adam. I would think that most types of CPs would take too long to germinate to use that method, but I'm definitely not positive. I'm sure that would/does work for types of aquatic/intermediate/terrestrial utrics. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

"If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I'll bet they'd live a lot differently." –Bill Watterson
    "Humankind is a man standing atop a pyramid while slowly chipping away at its foundation. " -Me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adam

It is possible that the boiling water treatment could work with certain CP's. The water is used to soften hard seed capsules, so if you have species with hard seed capsules it is possible that this will improve germination.

I think it requires some experimentation to check the effectiveness of this. I have recently received some R. dentata seed and I am going to try a couple of different methods to see which one works best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, I've heard of soaking seeds in water in order to soften their coats as a preparation for sowing, but what Andrew and Larry (in the last topic) were talking about sounded like actually waiting for the seed to germinate while it was in the water.
    ("I leave them there until I see it send out a root.")
    Quote Originally Posted by strath76 View Post
    I think it requires some experimentation to check the effectiveness of this. I have recently received some R. dentata seed and I am going to try a couple of different methods to see which one works best.
    Hope you share your results with the forums when you're finished experimenting, sounds like it should be interesting.
    -Justin

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didn't wait till I saw a root... I was just short on time. I meant to only leave them over night lol! As of yesterday, I had 16 sprouts (out of 25 seeds I think)
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast