What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ventricosa Cuttings (a bunch)

I know, nothing terribly exciting but I thought that I'd toss it out there rather than just pitch the vines.

I have this ventricosa that I purchased this winter with no pitchers and lots and lots of leaves. Rather than growing lots and lots of leaves with some pitchers popping out on top, I'm just going to cut it way back and let it start over again.

If you'd like to try some cuttings for the first time, or would like to try rooting several cuttings then let me know. This could be a good opportunity for experimenting with cutting techniques or someone in a classroom setting.

I'm not asking for plants in return (although I won't pass them up either!) but I must ask that you paypal me the shipping (probably $4.60 via Priority Mail). Things are very tight right now and I cannot eat the mailing costs on this one.

I have no idea of how many I can take from this thing so I'll take the first few requests and then put things on hold to see how far those go. PM me (no need to post here that you are doing so). I cannot emphasize enough that you need to pay the shipping. I'm sorry that I cannot make exceptions at this time.

Shipping is $4.80 now. I just went to the PO today.

Crystal

I thought that the $4.60 estimate looked wrong. Oops. Thanks!

Anytime!

You could NASC them since ventricosa roots very easy. Like you could include the pot media and cutting.

I did think about that, but I am planning on putting some plants up and am not sure if I'll have enough $ to mail everything and I'd rather not stick the winner with those costs if I don't have to. I did take some cuttings a couple of months ago in the hopes that those would be ready for the auction. So far so good on those.

I was planning on posting a thread asking for some cuttings for me to practice rooting!
I think three leaves per cutting is good.

Any pics of the momma plant and pitchers? I love seeing big gangly plants...

Any pics of the momma plant and pitchers? I love seeing big gangly plants...

Pitchers?!!? HA HA! None whatsoever. There may have been some shriveled up ones when I got it, but they're clipped. I can try for a pic, but let me warn you-it is UGLY! Pitcherless neps are bad enough, but pitcherless neps left in a commercial greenhouse...whoa mama! I'm not too sure what I was thinking when I bought it this winter.

Okay, here we go:

ventbush1.jpg

ventbush2.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, and let's put this offer on hold for the time being while I sift through the responses thus far and see how far this shrub will go.

cutting received - Thanks!

cutting received I'm hoping for a quick bounce back!

what do you think better in the terrarium or better on a windowsill in a bag? probably terrarium... I just think it may be alittle warm...

How about... windowsill with no bag?!

xvart.

I'm having mixed results with cuttings from that same plant in a tank under lights. One is pitchering, another died. The one in water just under lights (no tank) is slowly chugging along too. My miranda cuttings have gone well with no tanks and just under lights. I like lights for my cuttings.

xvart: I thought humidity was key usually to a succesful cutting? the general humidity within my apartment I think is fairly low, I'll check it when I get back home. but originally it was too low to really keep anything on a window sill without something to assist with the humidity...

I placed the cutting into a LFSM/Perlite mix, and have it in my terrarium right now, bout temp 83 with about 80-85 humidity. I've got windowsill space but it doesn't get strong light for very much of the day...I have some random vft cuttings and a rescued orchid living it up, I just wasn't sure...

Well that was quick. Not 36 - 48 hours later, I see some roots.

Nventricosa-6908.jpg

xvart: I thought humidity was key usually to a succesful cutting? the general humidity within my apartment I think is fairly low, I'll check it when I get back home. but originally it was too low to really keep anything on a window sill without something to assist with the humidity...

Sure. Keep it in the terrarium. Just make sure to circulate the air so the cut end doesn't rot.

xvart.

well I put mine directly in the media, I wish I could see if mine has formed any yet!
having never done a nep cutting I would assume it needs a fairly sizeable rootball in order to activate a node and produce growth. this is usually in a period of weeks? or months?
I know it could be either or. but the cosa is a fairly easy plant and assuming roots were forming as quickly as with yours xvarts would anyone want to take a wild guess? haha :)

well I put mine directly in the media, I wish I could see if mine has formed any yet!
having never done a nep cutting I would assume it needs a fairly sizeable rootball in order to activate a node and produce growth. this is usually in a period of weeks? or months?
I know it could be either or. but the cosa is a fairly easy plant and assuming roots were forming as quickly as with yours xvarts would anyone want to take a wild guess? haha :)

Chris,

I don't have a lot of experience in rooting cuttings, so I can only offer limited observation. I'm pretty sure that sometimes a cutting will grow a big root ball first, and other times it will start putting out green growth. I know I've read about people uprooting cuttings they have had nodes activate and growth going strong to find very little roots. I suppose, upon repotting, with small roots, you could water less frequently to help promote more root growth.

For example, the cutting in this thread I started was sitting for a week or two and started growing up top. I have no clue as to how the roots are doing, though. Who knows? lol.

xvart.

Just got my cuttings today, I will let everyone know how it goes!

I don't think that large mass o' roots is needed.

Back