What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey,

I thought I would offer some divisions of some of my pond plants and see if anyone would be interested in trading for them.

I have several divisions of both hardy water lilies and Japanese Sweet Rush (Acorus gramineus 'Ogon'). Both are winter hardy to at least zone 5. Water lilies are of course submerged deep water plants and the sweet rush makes for a nice marginal plant with water up to (or even above) its crown. Although it can also be grown in the ground like a “normal” plant it likes moisture and so I always use it in the pond.

The water lilies are divisions from my white, or possibly yellow, flowering water lilies divided last fall and are starting to send up the first leaves of the season now. I cannot guarantee with 100% what color you may get although if someone would want to trade for more than one water lily I can try to choose some from different pots and with different looking leaves and maybe get a variety? (no guarantees though since I have both colors and at this early stage in the season their leaves look identical).

If you also have a very empty and sad pond I can send some cuttings of parrots feather (a quick growing submerged/oxygenator which can be planted or just thrown in the pond as is. Although I wouldn’t want to just trade for those, they could be a sorta side plant to go along with something else for someone with a pond that needs a bit more to fill it in (and fill it in parrots feather will...you only need a little at first)

I have various sized divisions of both plants and would love to trade for maybe nepenthes or sarracenias. Although just pm me any offers if you are interested in trading for something and I will chose whatever offers appeal to me since I could also could use several smaller, low to the ground things such as hardy drosera or some VFT for my bog garden which is entirely composed of tall sarracenia and could use some variety. So basically, would love Neps, etc. but open to many suggestions and other offers too.

Well just let me know if you are interested in anything, I will post some pics here but if there is something in particular you may want more pics of just ask.
~Evin

White Water Lily (also some sneaky parrots feather too) pic from last year
100_0308.jpg

Yellow Water Lily (pic from last year)
100_0405.jpg

Pots of Mixed Water lily divisions just coming up in various 6 to 12 inch pots. (They look a little scraggly out of water but I figured this is the best way to show them. They will get many more leaves, these are just the first ones since they are still waking up) All following pics recent within a week.

DSC00376-1.jpg

Reddish lily pot. Note: Divisions of all sizes...look at itty bitty baby in back corner...

DSC00384.jpg

and then a much Larger Lily

DSC00379.jpg

Large Lily Top view
DSC00381.jpg

Sweet Rush in pond (stays green all winter too)

DSC00390.jpg

A Parent Plant before division (note eager trowel)
DSC00386.jpg

I would totally go for some of these awesome plants if I could just find the space for a pond.... hmmmm bathtub conversion? who needs hygiene

What are you looking for for the sweet rush? I could go for a small division of that.

What are you looking for for the sweet rush?

Really I am open to just about any suggestions that you would be willing to trade away. I have many seeds but actually rather few adult plants so that just means all the more likely something you may have I would want... It probably would be a good idea to actually make a grow list...on my to-do list. So really if you are still interested just make a couple of suggestions or so of what you have to offer because I don't have a particular check list of "I will only take this, this, or this. Nothing else" I really love variety so tempt me :)

Here are some pics of the pots of sweet rush divisions temporarily potted before their re-homing. (or if nobody takes them I will just have more plants to myself:-D )

There are two larger divisions and 3 smaller-to-medium sized divisions. The large ones are in 10 inch-ish pots and the smaller pots are in approx. 6inch-ish pots I believe

Sweet Rush
DSC00412.jpg

Aerial View
DSC00414.jpg

Alleged I am interested in one of the smaller ones. Before i start making offers. How do they need to be potted up? Ok here is what I want to do with them. I am supposed to get some Aldrovanda from Rich and he said they do well around the roots of water grassed. I just bought a water hycythia that floats and the roots go down. He said the aldrovanda does well around the roots of water grasses in shallow water. So this will be going on a pond like tub I plan on buying to put outside in full sun so I can grow the aldrovanda in it too. with the water hycynthia. What should I use as a substrait in the small pond I will be making. Remember it will be a movable pond so I can put it in the GH during the winter.

Sheesh the things I do to grow aldrovanda. LOL

I don't think the small pond I am thinking about will be deep enough for the lilies, but I plna to put a pond in when I get up north too so I will get some eventually.

The sweet rush is really quite durable as long as it stays wet, which in a pond wouldn't be an issue. In my pond I plant all of my plants in various sized plastic pots so they are easy to move around, divide, add bricks to raise or lower the level of a plant and not take over everything as they grow. Planting it in pots would probably be the easiest way since your pond with be mobile.

In the pots themselves I have a layer of pebbles on the bottom and top to keep soil from flowing out and making a mess. Then I have a layer of plain unscented kitty litter clay that really helps keep the soil from making a murky mess and then in the middle of the whole "rock and kitty litter sandwich" I put some dirt and the roots of the plant.

I haven't grown aldrovanda but from what I think I know of it it is a sorta long rope-ish floating plant yes? (Please all aldrovanda fans don't jump on my pathetic description) I've seen pictures of it and it reminds me vaguely of parrots feather or anarcharis from a distance. Parrots feather sometimes gets woven in among the emerging blades of sweet rush and sorta anchor in place but I don't know exactly if that is what you had in mind for the purpose of Sweet Rush.

Planting Sweet Rush could be done many different ways with peat instead of garden soil which I use, eliminating the kitty litter layer, etc, depending on how exactly you would use it to grow the aldrovanda but as long as it is consistently wet I think I could handle many different planting styles.

Don't really know if I anwered your question though.

The Aldrovanda needs to be planted above the roots for the CO2 given off by the plant. I will get with you via PM and make an offer and figure something out. It wil be a little later today. I am in class right now.

Hey guys, here's some pics from my Aldrovanda pond, first one showing them growing at the base of a Juncus hummock in just a few inches of standing water, ankle deep.

Aldrovanda07.jpg

Here they are between Carex hummocks, again, in ankle deep water:

Carexbed.jpg

In the Phargmites beds; does this answer the question: "Why can't I grow them in my 5 gal fish tank?"

Aldrovanda_07_21.jpg

Aldrovanda_07_9.jpg

Aldrovanda_07_24.jpg

Aldrovanda_07_23.jpg

Aldrovanda_07_22.jpg

Aldrovanda_07_12.jpg

Aldrovanda_07_11.jpg

adrovanda-2.gif
aldrovanda-1.gif

Pickerel.jpg

Hope you enjoy! - Rich

So alleged That is what I am trying to do but on a smaller scale. I can get the daphnia culture started from what I have already and was just wanting the water grass for the aldro.

I love that those clips of the Aldrovana traps catching the prey!

Back