What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking For Cephalotus Baby or Cuttings!!

elsantaclause

A windowsill grower
Hi does anyone have Baby Cephs or Cuttings I can trade for? I've been looking everywhere for these plants but to no avail. They are either too expensive or sold out =(
If you could help me out I would be extremely appreciative:hail:

It was like love at first sight for me with these plants:love:

You don't have much to trade. With that growlist, your best bet is to try to win one in the auction.

I also can't recommend them to a beginner. They aren't difficult, but they aren't beginner plants. Of course with enough cash you can keep buying them and experimenting until you get it right.

I really want this plant extremely bad and I think I can handle this plant Clint

I had one that divided into five plants,they grow for another year then just up and died.They can die no matter how much care you give them,they are not beginner plants.

Try some easier plants first.

They can die no matter how much care you give them,they are not beginner plants.

Try some easier plants first.

I disagree with that statement. The reason why they can die for no reason is because of root rot. Sure they can be difficult, but they aren't difficult to me. I've only been growing CPs since February. Elsantaclause, you can just go ahead and try these (if you can find one). Just don't overwater it, let it dry out bit, and give it good light.

if you think they ca be dificult why do you recomand them to a beginer?
this plant is not that easy and it can be annoying...

if you think they ca be dificult why do you recomand them to a beginer?
this plant is not that easy and it can be annoying...

I said to me they don't seem difficult and I'm not recommending, I'm just encouraging (not telling him to, giving him hope) him to try to grow it. It's really not that difficult.

reason why i dont get plant that i'm not sure if i can plant outdoor.

reason why i dont get plant that i'm not sure if i can plant outdoor.

Do you mean that the reason why you don't have this plant is beacuase you don't know if it can be grown outdoors? Cephs can be grown outdoors.

thanks capensis once I get one I will try it =)

I guess its really hard to get one of these because no one has Pmd me yet =(
Or it could be that my growlist is too small?
I think the latter

I disagree with that statement. The reason why they can die for no reason is because of root rot. Sure they can be difficult, but they aren't difficult to me. I've only been growing CPs since February. Elsantaclause, you can just go ahead and try these (if you can find one). Just don't overwater it, let it dry out bit, and give it good light.

There are other reasons for their death too. Mine died after repotting-they don't like having the roots messed with and I tried REALLY hard not to, but the dirt just fell away in a big clump and I had to get more physical that I had wanted to. RIP ceph. You haven't been growing yours for more than what, 2 months? You don't know what can happen during long-term care.

ive had a couple of cephs
i have them still
my typical is probably dead from my mistake of a crappy repot job
but hopefully it will come from the roots
my hummers giant has 3 basals and is acting a bit strange but its still kicking.
given the right conditions, these plants are incredibly easy to grow.
and are hardier than people give them credit for.
dont let people get you down by degrading you or saying you cant grow it because of your experiance with any particular plant. because without trying something new, you would never learn.

scratch that
baby ceph DID come back from the roots >:) YAY

Last edited by a moderator:
"Sudden death syndrome" is not because of root rot. If a plant dies of root rot, then that's not SDS, it's root rot. A plant will die for unknown causes. Of course there must a cause/reason, but we don't know it. They sometimes return from the roots/rhizome. That's why it's called sudden death syndrome, and this happens with a few other plants like D. adelae and P. primuliflora. You can have large pot with as many plants as you can fit in there, and only one will mysteriously die for no reason, with the rest not skipping a beat. That's why it's recommended that you keep multiple plants. I hope you do not take this the wrong way, but I do not believe four months of experience qualifies you to say the things you do. It's a very easy plant. For me. It is NOT an easy plant for the general population. This plant gives many, many people trouble, and a plant can take four months plus just to settle in, much less thrive and cause you to recommend this as an easy plant to someone with less than two weeks experience. We ALL wanted to grow the cool plants that we saw others growing at that stage, and then we got a reality check.

I do not mean to belittle your time as a hobbyist, but four months is nothing, especially with this genus. I've been growing the plant mainly for trading material for approximately three years, and that's not much in the long run, either.

If after much research you still want to try it, I say go for it. With TC, you can experiment all you want without guilt. Clones are disposable. I must recommend using Trichoderma. It does no harm as a worst case scenario and I believe it definitely helps all plants, Cephalotus in particular. If EVERYONE started using it, for all we know it wouldn't be as hard for the general population, but would become just another average growing plant.

I just want to try to grow it, what is Trichoderma btw?

And Kris could I possibly trade for one your basals or babies?

give me a month to see how the basals turn out.
like i said, they are acting a bit strange currently.
but deffinitly if they make it, i would have no problem trading a basal out.

ok thanks just Pm me when you can =)

I have to agree with Clint on this, I came into Cp's last fall and upon seeing Ceph's was absolutely going crazy to get my hands on one just like EL here sounds like he/she is. I'm glad that I was unable to do so because I realize now looking back that I had no idea what I was doing ( even though I was SURE I did ). This hobby takes time and practice, sure no one is going to stop you from buying one, we're only looking out so that you dont waste your money and/or kill a harder to come by plant. Please if your really not going to get over it then go ahead and get one. I would say that most people wouldnt trade one with you not becuase your grow list is small but becuase it wouldnt appear that right now you have the know how or experience to provide the maximum care that is required for the ceph's.

to SK: you've been around here for a while and were new when I just started as well, I find it rude to say that you'd take clint's criticism as being "degrading" and maybe you didnt mean clint's comments and just meant comments in general... but eitherway I dont think that it was fair. You should know that everyone is just looking out for the growers especially the new growers, like EL. We're not trying to keep him from growing or learning we just want everyone to have the best experience possible.

good luck with your growing.

-Chris

i too have to agree with Clint. When i started CPs, as soon as i learned one thing, i got an attitude like i thought i knew it all (Clint might remember that...) after just one week digging through these forums, i learned that i had A LOT to learn...
i've been growing for about 2 1/2 years, and i still know basically nothing, mostly basics. But that's the fun with this hobby, there's always so much to learn, and so many different things to try. We're not trying to put you down, but it might be a little too soon for a Ceph. I think you will enjoy your plants much much more if you grow the easier plants for now. There are a lot of easy and beautiful CPs out there :)

Back