Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bicalarata needed

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awgaupp View Post
    Yeah, but i have enough room in my kitchen which should do good, and i AM an expert, ready for a challenge
    First of all, if you are an expert, I wouldn't consider it a challenge. Second of all, I'd like to hear your qualifications for your self-proclaimed expertise because someday I think it would be nice to be considered an expert. Additionally, I don't think an expert would try and take a cutting of that N. ventricosa and trade it for a bical, but I'm no expert so I could be wrong.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    The N. Bicalcarata because it is a lowlander requires higher temps and high humidity of at least 80 degrees with 80 percent humidity for good all round growth. The N. Bicalcarata likes the temps a little bit higher than most nepenthes. As explained in earlier posts it will get large. I can tell you unless you live in a greenhouse the kitchen is not the greatest choice.

Regards
    GROWLIST If you can read this thank a TEACHER , If you can read this in ENGLISH thank a VETERAN.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as I thought. This is from his profile.
    Biography:
    I am a pre-teen, Webkinz and carnivorous plant collector. I am also a boy.

Must be really young if he is collecting Webkinz. Nope I would definitely NOT label you an expert at anything yet. Its all in your head. Don't worry you will grow out of it.

Besides. If you were able to grow bical in your kitchen, I bet your mother would get rather mad when your foot and a half wide Bical keeps getting in the way. As everyone keeps trying to tell you. These things get HUGE!!! I haven't seen it yet with mine, but then again I was growing them wrong too. Barely keeping them alive is what I was going.

BTW your plant looks like it might be ventrata, one of the most common hybrids around to my knowledge. I routinely give cuttings away. I had so many last time I gave two cuttings to people and still no one wanted them all. Good luck with that trade idea.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant an expert at Neps, they and sarrs are my best ones
    Sorry to say but the others are right
    there are people who have been growing for years, who just because they can grow a plant, do not consider themselves experts. No need to try and sound "qualified" or anything to grow a bicalcarata. but you do need a hot humid area to grow it in...An expert would know that. because you can grow a Ventricosa hybrid, does not make you an expert, not to sound mean because i am not trying to be mean. I do not believe anyone would trade a bical for that however. and the plant doesnt even look large enough to take cuttings from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awgaupp -

Whether someone is an expert or not is of little relevance here IMHO. Frankly, N. bicalcarata does get HUGE, and this is no understatement. I have one in my greenhouse that is producing leaves up to two feet long (meaning a four foot diameter plant!), and the main vine is six feet tall and broomstick diameter. You can see one of the pitchers from it as my avatar. I would seriously doubt that - even if you WERE able to give this plant proper growing conditions in your kitchen - it would be suitable to grow in such a small environment.

I liken this to someone who lives in a small one bedroom apartment who thinks that they want a Great Dane (taller than you are) or a Burmese Python (up to 18 feet or more) as a pet. And if the conditions are not good, chances are that you would have wasted a good chunk of money as well.

Hope this helps! : )

Regards,

Mike
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been growing Lowlanders for over 25 years and Highlanders for only 2 years. Specifically I have grown N. bical for about 15 years and I am nowhere near being an expert. I still learn something new almost everyday about cultivatiing Nepenthes.
    Well anyhow back to N. bical.- I got a seedling Red x Orange last Jun07 and it had a 5-6" leafspan. Has been in my lowland terrarium and now has a 28" leafspan in just one year. Will be going into my lowland greenhouse as soon as I can get it fine tuned. If given the right conditions N. bical gets big fast! You can stunt it for awhile to keep small, but eventually it will stop making pitchers and decline. High humidity, high temps, and moderate light and N. bical becomes a monster- its my favorite lowland Nepenthes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's this? A mod may delete this, and later ill buy a bicalarata and then about a month- 6 months later ill tell you how it does? And here on this forum, there is a post that say ventricosa and ventrinata, and and two dofferent pictures with the same plant when i googled it, and i got different names of the same plant, but i think it would be a ventrinata, my isnt getting any full red pitchers.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's this? A mod may delete this, and later ill buy a bicalarata and then about a month- 6 months later ill tell you how it does?
    Yeah, i agree, its his idea, if he wastes money, its his fault.
    Last edited by xvart; 06-29-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast