What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have adult cinnamon, claytonia, Christmas, maidenhair! and beech ferns. Want others.

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Hey guys. I've got adult cinnamon ferns (Osmunda cinnamomeum), adult interrupted ferns (Osmunda Claytonia), adult Christmas ferns ( Polystichum acrostichoides, which is evergreen), what I'm almost positive is some sort of beech fern or at least looks like it's in the genus Phegopteris. Or it may be a shield fern. They look the same to me. I also have maidenhair ferns. All are adult, and the cinnamon ferns and Osmunda claytonia are pretty large species. I've got the tall and wide cinnamon ferns planted in back, with the broad but short O. claytonia planted in front and it should look killer next spring, especially once I move a butt load of red Cannna from our front yard here up there to add some color. Ooh I'm getting al excited. I wasn't really into ferns but I decided to move them from one part of thee back yard to the front yard on the stream in back of the Darlingtonia, and now I guess I'm sort of getting into ferns. I didn't move the Xmas or beech ferns though. I don't think anyone will want them but figured I'd ask; I think they're boring.

SO! Like I said. All adult and fully grown. I'm looking for, preferably full-sized (but if I can't get full sized plants, I'm willing to negotiate), plants of the following, and I'd prefer to trade multiple plants so I can plant in groups.

PARTICULARLY Ostrich ferns. I really want these. BAD. I've seen them in the wild and they look a.w.e.s.o.m.e
-Matteuccia struthiopteris !!!!!!!
-Osmunda reaglis- Royal fern
-Osmunda japonica
Or any other large, robust temperate fern you think I may be interested in.

PM me. There's no way I can ship the O. claytonia or O. cinnamomeum with their fronds in tact. I'll have to cut them off; there's no way I can fit them in a box without crushing them anyway. The maidenhair ferns will have their fronds damaged inevitably through shipping, too. They're all delicate, really, except the Xmas fern.

just put a 1 gal pot of ostrich ferns in the ground yesterday......will likely have extras sometime this summer or fall but at the moment its 3 plants that are very much one due to the interweaving of "roots".... if yah dont find an ostrich fern by the time mine starts to spread(i hear its a weed)....ill shoot some your way but given how common it is you will likely find it from someone else first....

If you decide you'd rather have three cinnamon ferns (or the others), let me know :) I'm really not interested in babies unless I have to, but thank you for the generous offer. I'm one of those instant-gratification generation Y'ers :p

I didn't know they were common. They are sparse in the wild, here.

nah.....been trying bare root hardy ferns for 2 years with no luck getting them started, not many places up here sell ferns in pots, infact these are teh first ostrich ferns ive come across....finally found some in a pot at a greenhouse yesterday :grin:....headed back that way next Monday....might beable to pick up another batch.....they aint really baby ferns when they spread via runners....i saw where a 4th was wadded up 6 inches below the soil line in the pot cause it was so root bound...it looks like the ones it sends out should be medium sized plants when they pop up, not lil ones produced via spores.....will talk to yah this weekend and see what you have rounded up....if yah havent found any ill likely beable to get another bunch on Monday...

Back