What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
Hi, i need some nepenthes seeds ( any would do fine but id prefer ampullaria glabrata fusca rafflesiaspotted, talangensis and villosa.) OK, now, i have some sarracenia rubra seeds or rehderi, and if i were to get 5 nep seeds you would get 6 sarr seeds. 10 would be 12, and so on. Anyways,Right now i cannot have the seeds, as the windowsill is too full. If you would please reserve the seed i could reserve mine. Thx very much.

Nep seed is notoriously short lived so you kind of have to sow it out fast...

Oh yeah OOPS lol, well i mean i can take about 10 seeds at the most

Also, what i meant about that was seeds that ARE safe to be stored in the fridge( the very few ) that could be reserved

You're more likely to find hybrid seed than pure species seed. Even if you did manage to find 5 (or 10) N. villosa seed, they wouldn't last long on your windowsill, if they germinated at all. And, why are you trading such small amounts? Usually people want more since who knows what might happen to 5 seeds, especially when the storage of the Sarracenia seed is suspect at best.

Anyways,Right now i cannot have the seeds, as the windowsill is too full. If you would please reserve the seed i could reserve mine. Thx very much.

It has never really worked out well for "advanced trading" or "reserved trading" since there are all sorts of things that may happen. May I suggest waiting until you are ready to trade before announcing your trade intentions?

Finally, I can't help myself, but when you say you need Nepenthes seed, does that mean if you don't find any you will die? Nep seed is necessary for your survival?

xvart.

What are your growing conditions and what are you growing, awgaupp?

Well, theyre fine for mixta, which im growing right now, because i use at my house a winodw with lots of sun, and its 70-80 dgrees usually, i put the pots under cups

Well, theyre fine for mixta, which im growing right now, because i use at my house a winodw with lots of sun, and its 70-80 dgrees usually, i put the pots under cups

My comment was meant about the ultrahighland conditions of a N. villosa.

xvart.

This IS a need for my colletion... lol Also, because i am sort of low on seeds

Trading for ten seeds is pretty weird (thats like eating ten pieces of popcorn), but if you watch the PPT forum, people give them away often for the cost of postage.

You're not going to find N. glabrata, N. talangensis or N. villosa seed. N. fusca will be hard to find but not impossible.

why not the glabrata talangensis and villosa?

Villosa is very demanding and likes very solid stable cool conditions. Large plants of nepenthes villosa are very rare. One thing you have to understand about nepenthes is that to create seed you need male and female plants and the seed has a short shelf life if it is more than a few weeks old it might not sprout. For nepenthes I recommend nepenthes ventricosa x maxima it is also called nepenthe x 'Red Leopard' it is a easy to grow beautiful hybrid I will show you a photo but don't ask me for it since it was my first nepenthes and I don't have any extras.

Wow thanks for the great pictures, ill def. consider that

I will show you a photo but don't ask me for it since it was my first nepenthes and I don't have any extras.

It's probably not necessary to post after your pictures for people not ask for it.

xvart.

why not the glabrata talangensis and villosa?
cause seeds from any of them are unheard of in cultivation. talangensis will be the easier of the 3 to find... but thats only because there are male and female plants in cultivation. the odds there are pure seed going around is HIGHLY unlikey. plus the "normal" form is now extinct in the wild after the Mt. Talang eruption a few years ago. glabrata im unsure of the cultivated plants genders. and its also a touchy plant for many people to grow. if you want villosa seed, then go to Mt. Kinabalu. thats the ONLY place youll find those.

Alex

I would stick to certain lowland neps into lower intermediates, and hybrids would fair much better being they are much more vigorous.

Rob

If you're interested in Nepenthes seeds, try eBay, you'd be amazed what you'll find. I've managed to get seeds of many plants there including N globosa, N ampullaria, N thoreli, N mirabilis, N reiwardtiana, N neoguineensis, N maxima, and N bicalcarata. Of course, there is no guarantee that they are not hybrid seeds, but I'll take my chances. They are usually not cheap, however.

stay away from certain ebay vendors that sell seeds and plants (including a great deal of CPs) that are located in Ohio. I can't tell you who specifically to avoid though. Sorry. They do sell nep seeds but do not list a particular species. That plus the fact that they are not an actual nursery makes me wonder where these seeds are coming from and how old they are.

Ebay would be hit-or-miss. I'd say it is better to be paranoid when dealing there with CP seeds. Just avoid the one in Ohio. I've tried some of the overseas seed auctions, but just never won any.

Just a warning, it is illegal to purchase seed from overseas vendors if YOU do not have the proper permits. The sellers can sell all day long to the United States, but it comes down to the BUYER having the proper paperwork. Confiscation and/or monetary penalties may apply. Of course people do it everyday and things work out fine, but that does not make it legal nor moral because you 'might' be able to get away with it.

Just my two cents.
Crystal

lol! N.villosa seed?? lol! that one made me laugh. lol! Dude...seriously there might be less than a handful of people in the world who have villosa plants that are around a decade old. A couple of them might be seed grown..but the others are clones from BE and wistuba. There is a considerable doubt that both the clones are the same and till now none has flowered (that we know of). On top of that...villosa is a demanding plant....its night temps can be 4 C. Apparently some say that 15C at night might be too hot for villosa as well. Even if u find some, unless you live in the upper montane region of Mt. Kinabalu...there is no way to successfully seed at a window sill.

Lmao, Well.... I'd like someone with more experience than myself to confirm or deny that, Cristal. I've never heard that. Ever. Even if it was illegal, I don't see how it would ever be "immoral" lol.

Back