Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Sphagnum Moss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for Sphagnum Moss

(I hope this is the right place to post this)

Im interested in putting the sphagnum moss in with my VFT to help with moisture since it will soon be living outside on the dry balcony.

Thanks,
    Nar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it need to be living?

If not, you can find some Better-Gro Orchid Moss (high-quality dried blonde shagnum) at Lowes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vft's wouldnt really need Live LFSM, so I hope your not looking for live. it'd also be more expensive (alot) and you'd have to attempt to keep it alive too, if your balcony is too dry for VFT. then its undoubtedly too dry for living moss, as jimmy said, if your looking for dried moss then you would spend more money on shipping than just going somewhere easy and buying some...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nar,

As Jimmy stated, you can buy dried sphagnum moss at Lowes for less than $5 a bag. Any live sphagnum for outside pot on a dry balcony would soon become dry and dead. If you really do want live sphagnum for outside, you have to either water or spray the moss several times a day or make a mini bog. Basically, a simple mini bog would be to place a pot (w/ drain holes) in a larger pot (w/ NO drain holes) and keep the water level high to insure the live sphagnum stays wet all the time. If you are not willing to do the above, than the dried sphagnum moss at Lowes is what you should buy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alrighty, I will give the dry moss a go...might be easier right now. Thanks for the suggestion for Lowes, I wasnt sure where to get either kinds.

I was thinking of making that mini-bog tho...Ive got the pots all ready, just have to go get my substrate!

Thanks again guy, sorry for all of the noob questions and confusions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me I need to buy some sphagnum moss for my future minibog.

I'm wondering if I should do the peat/sand mix, or the long fiber sphagnum.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NaRnAr View Post
    Alrighty, I will give the dry moss a go...might be easier right now. Thanks for the suggestion for Lowes, I wasnt sure where to get either kinds.

I was thinking of making that mini-bog tho...Ive got the pots all ready, just have to go get my substrate!

Thanks again guy, sorry for all of the noob questions and confusions!
    I've bought the better-gro stuff it's pretty good I use it on top of my minibog to help reduce peat splashing around when it rains hard also I have the LFS/perlite in my N.sanguinea that I repoted from lowes it's doing well and on top of the lfs if starting to get a tint of green in some places so I hope it's alive.. no pictures due to bad internet sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mixes will vary obviously depending upon the types of CP's your wanting in your bog, you can always go with the standard cp mix which is 50-50 peat/perlite. if its more of a drosera bog you may want to go the sand way,
    not say that sand isnt okay for the other cp's. generally speaking you'll probably just reserve LFSM for the top part of the bog to help with relative humidity and water retention...and as it was mentioned before, it looks better and keeps peat and perlite from floating and winding up everywhere and all over your plants...

I've got 2 small bogs set up that way outside, one pure vft's and the other a mix I picked up for a forum member here just a week ago, the one i set up is doing really well and I'm waiting to see how the other bog will do, it may turn out a bit cramped

make sure you get something big enough to allow for all of the plants to reach maturity, and think about what your planning on placing within the bog, you may even post here what your plans are theres alot of experienced bog creators here who can give tips as to what makes a good bog.

Let us know,
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast