What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted: Clove-scented Tillandsia cyanea

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
I know this is fairly unlikely, but does anyone have one of these, and does it really smell like cloves? I'm trying to add plants with interesting scents to my collection, and this sounds easier to grow than real cloves. If you've got one to spare, send me a PM and I'll give you an overview of what I have to trade.
Thanks,
~Joe

i dont have the above but others to look for though "boring" are the various scented geraniums.....i had a half dozen at one time that i grew as house plants in the winter.....i particularly liked the citronella one...

Hmm, I'll have to look into those. I already have a couple of citron/citronella-scented plants - a couple of mints and one gum (a nice tree from the Eucalyptus family.) What other kinds are there?
So far, I have mints, wintergreen, rosemary, lavender, two Eucalyptus species, lemon bay and the lemon-scented gum. I've noticed some cedar seedlings sprouting in my bog pots this year so those will probably become an official part of the collection soon, too. I like them because not only do they have strong, attractive scents, but are also very colorful and have interesting textures to their leaves. I was inspired to start collecting these kinds of plants by teaching gardens. I read about one for the blind that was full of plants with various scents and textures, and I saw another on TV that was for kids with learning disabilities that featured edible plants with distinctive shapes and colors. I'm really interested in ecology and biology education, and I like the idea of using plants and gardening to get kids into science.
~Joe

blue heliotrope has flowers that smell like cotton candy.....one of my wifes favorite in the garden in the summer......

I love Heliotrope - I never connected the scent with cotton candy though. I'll have to see for myself this Spring.
~Joe

scents

The Stapeliads and Carralumas are fun. Along with the Voodoo Lillies:-))

thats just mean........but i like how you think :D

They're definitely on my radar... but not the short list.
~Joe

fresh fruit

Actually if you collect them as I do there are some that smell like fresh fruit. I would imagine that is to atract fruit flies.

Back