What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Styrofoam Cooler- potential Darlngtonia cooling box

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
Hey guys.

I have a few styrofoam coolers sitting around from when we recieved food from Omaha Steaks and was wondering if anyone was interested in trading something for one. These are the perfect coolers for use with the Darlingtonia cooling box found on Barry Rice's website. (If you have had trouble growing Darlingtonia in the past due to heat issues, then give this method a try!)

The boxes look similar to this (may not be same dimensions as box in picture) and are in very similar condition. They are about a foot tall without the lid, about 14" with the lid, and about 19" wide.

Thanks
Matt

i personally wouldnt worry about puting this much effort into them. on hot days just add ice cubes to the top of the pots or into their water trays :\ lol
darlingtonia are much more hardy than we give them credit for.
atleast the mountain variety is incredibly hardy, harder to get ahold of though.

i personally wouldnt worry about puting this much effort into them. on hot days just add ice cubes to the top of the pots or into their water trays :\ lol
darlingtonia are much more hardy than we give them credit for.
atleast the mountain variety is incredibly hardy, harder to get ahold of though.

I know they're hardy, I grow them, and I give them a lot of credit... but not everyone is as lucky with them as us. Some people don't have the time to put ice cubes or cool water in the pots every day. This is just an alternate method of cultivation.

Not trying to mislead people or anything if that's what you're thinking. I'm just trying to get rid of them as they are only sitting around.

Mine was in a planter all summer long. Temps were in the 90's for a few days. Once acclimated, they seem to be comparably as hardy as the Sarrs in the same planter.

The main thing with successfully growing Darlingtonia appears to be having sufficient temperature drops at night time and a cold enough winter for their dormancy.

If you happen to live in a climate where these are possible then you will probably find them easy to grow. If not, then you have to resort to other means to keep the roots cool or provide a temperature drop.

Thanks Nan, that's basically what I was trying to point out.

Oh well, I just thought it would be worth a shot trying to get rid of these.

Back