Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ampullaria trade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    Pyro- only till recently have I spoken english as a primary language.
    Kris, that has nothing to do with my comment. The point I was making was that, YtK speaks English as a second language. And as such his mastery of it is not as adept as yours might be. So going out of your way to point out the spelling and grammar mistakes of someone who does not speak English as their primary language is, at the least, infantile and more than a little vindictive.

So again, I ask that people don't make basic assumptions.
    I fail to see how I made any basic assumptions. It is right there plain as day. You purposefully pointed out his spelling and grammar mistakes and you did it to try and put him down. You just tried to justify it with the whole "well he is being mean so I get to be mean" argument. Again I say it, by that logic everyone on this forum ought to be acting like toddlers...

I was not trying to be rude with that post,
    That is debatable. I think that fact that 2 people have called you out on it would indicate it was rude.

but when you use a cellphone for most of your typing, its a little more difficult to get points across or anything else like that.
    One would think that if you are using your cellphone to make posts then you would not want to waste your time/give yourself carpal tunnel correcting the spelling and grammar of someone who does not speak English as their primary language. That you took the extra time to do that, on a cell phone no less, further supports my contention that it was out of line.

It is a very valid point that many of the giant cephs available are worth way more than any of the amps offered.
    No it is not a valid point. A giant Ceph is a giant Ceph. Does the fact that I got my Hummer's Giant for free from a friend make it worth less than a Hummer's Giant that sells for $300 on eBay?? It is still the same plant.

But if we must break it down to math... 3 amps @ $15-20 each is $45-60 vs. a giant Ceph @ ~$30. So the person who gets the Neps comes out ahead.

Or 3 large amps (making an assumption but if he has been growing a long time then his plants are probably bigger than the 3" things that sell for $15-20) one of which may well be a unique cultivar worth at least $100 by itself vs. a giant Ceph @ $200 (yeah I am a little under your suggested price but I personally have yet to see a $300 giant Ceph). So the person who gets the Ceph may come out a bit ahead. But then 3 plants for 1 is not that bad even if you "eat" it a little on "market value"

Just because you can get a giant clone for 30 or 40 you have to remember a majority of us cannot.
    When I said "I can get a giant Ceph for ~$30" it has nothing to do with who I specifically am. You could get one for ~$30 too and so could Joe Blow on the street if he were so inclined. The vast majority of people could indeed get a giant Ceph for ~$30 if they just took the time to find out who sells them for that. It is not all that difficult. Heck, on this forum alone I can think of 4 people off the top of my head who would likely sell a Hummer's Giant for far less than $300.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was editing his spelling, I was on my house computer, I said I do a lot of this on my phone, never did I say I did that post on my phone or any of the others, your assuming again. If cp and ytk wouldn't have said I was being rude in that first post, and in the way they seemed to have meant it, this wouldn't be here. I have no idea how large the amps are, and I was under the impression that he was trading a single plant. Not all of them.
    I think I'm going to take the clint route and leave this forum for awhile, just lurk. Since it seems I'm suddenly under attack for saying it sounded like a blasted unfair trade. As far as I'm concerned, for 16 years of my life, up until now, 18, english has been a second language.just because I corrected him, doesn't make me a bad person. After what he said, I'm surprised that's all I said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was editing his spelling, I was on my house computer, I said I do a lot of this on my phone, never did I say I did that post on my phone or any of the others, your assuming again.
    The way you worded it sure made it sound like you meant you did it on your phone. My mistake.

If cp and ytk wouldn't have said I was being rude in that first post, and in it seemed to take, this wouldn't be here.
    As may be, but if YtK felt offended by what you said he has a right to say that and had you apologized for it rather than arguing and resorting to the "he is childish so I'm going to be childish" attitude then this would not be here either...

I have no idea how large the amps are, and I was under the impression that he was trading a single plant. Not all of them.
    And yet you criticize others for making assumptions??

I think I'm going to take the clint route and leave this forum for awhile, just lurk.
    Clint is taking time off from forum because he is at school...

Since it seems I'm suddenly under attack for saying it sounded like a blasted unfair trade.
    No you are being "attacked" because you said:

Ill be the first to say im sorry if i sounded rude in any way
    And yet when people pointed out that what you said was rude you chose to defend it rather than apologize. Had you apologized you would not have heard a further peep from me.

And if it sounds like it is not a fair trade then you are under no obligation to make the trade. But others are free to form their own opinions... There are plenty of plants I do not like and when I see them offered in the trade forum I do not go out and make posts about how lame the plants are... I just ignore the post. It is really rather easy to do.

As far as I'm concerned, for 16 years of my life, up until now, 18, english has been a second language.
    And just because you speak English well as a second language then everyone in the world ought to speak it as well as you? What was that someone said about making basic assumptions??

just because I corrected him, doesn't make me a bad person.
    It is the intent behind the correction and the manner in which you corrected him that is the issue at hand. It was childish, and you admitted it was childish but for some reason you think it is still okay.

After what he said, I'm surprised that's all I said.
    Well I guess we should thank you for holding your tongue...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't assume anything about the plants, I said I know nothing about them. I never said I doubt someone is going to trade x plant for such a small y plant or anything along those lines, nor did I say that just because its my second language and I speak it and spell it decently, that everyone else had to as well that uses it as a second language.
    Evidently you don't recall the incident with clint and jayjay some time ago, where clint was rather harshly attacked and said he was leaving the forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knock it off, doods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, um, can this part of the thread be removed? It really doesn't mean much to the point of the thread or help explain the need for permits.

Also amps are lovely plants, and the only reason I see why cephs are worth more is because they aren't as common in cultivation. Besides, if I had a giant clone of a ceph that was a cultivar (meaning other people have genetically identical plants) and that I clone it myself I would be more then willing to part with one for an amp like tricolor not mater how small. I wouldn't lose the plant but I would make my collection more diverse. Now, I got a SEED GROWN ceph for $30. No one else has a plant with the same traits and will behave the same way and was grown for YEARS to reach a size where it is showing maturity. If your telling me that a average Joe can't get a giant of ANY form for under $50 AND that at least a few of them managed to get multiple plants to trade they would just pass up the offer? In any case, these plants are worth a giant ceph cultivar period. (I don't even see where he asked for a mature plant) Now, I also believe many of the successful ceph growers want to see others in other countries getting to grow these lovely plants and that if the person requesting them can get permits they would be more then willing to trade. I do see how Kris sounded rude, but insulting a person who doesn't speak English as a primary language, or even that often, shouldn't be compared to some one who has had 2 YEARS with speaking it as their primary language. Yes two years makes a HUGE difference when it comes to language. Also most people in my school can't say more then a few sentences in their second language and that he is MILES ahead with a very difficult to learn language. I will remove this little rant if the other posts are removed)

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    people, cant we all just get along?

Pyro, you made your point. You think SK messed up. I hope you weren't counting me as one of those "2" people you mentioned earlier lol, because i was just saying it in general!

SK, you made your point, you dont think you did, or at least not as bad as "Everyone" is saying. Enough then, we can agree to disagree, no?

And leaving a forum because someone made you upset, in my opinion, is utterly and completely ball-less. Im sorry, but seriously, stand up for yourself! Hiding in the shadows does nothing but make your "aggressor" feel that they won. What is that doing for you? Its like the classic case of bullying, fight the hell back! You dont have to metaphoricaly "win", but fighting back at least makes you feel like you did something, and shows people your no rag doll. Leaving, running away, etc...are all shameless and the cowards way out. No matter how horrible people are to you, fleeing just lets them win without a fight.

And please no "i cant speak english" complaints from anyone. I couldnt either for a while, and yet im oh-so-eloquent now, and im not using that as an excuse (im not just saying this to SK or YtK, it eveyrone!). None of my entire family uses that as an excuse. All it did was make us tougher.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankie- i did stand up for myself
    and i was bashed down again, i was not trying to be rude, hell i even attempted to apologize there on the top of the second page. And again, i was bashed down.
    Excuse me for feeling that asking for stuff in return seems a wee bit greedy.
    I have been so damn generous to people on this forum and other forums.
    Giving away seed, gifts with purchases from me, or just straight up random gifts, or even adding extra stuff for free onto trades, and not ever asking for anything in return.
    Frankie, you won ONE darlingtonia 'mountain variety' from me on the NASC auction, i sent you 2, did i ask for anything in return for that extra plant?
    no.
    Halt- if you read this, i gave you quite a few gifts.
    I thought that asking for cuttings back later in return was a bit greedy, though i did say if you would read my first post, that many people on these forums would be kind enough to do so.
    When i first read the post, i only saw green and spotted amps up, not the tricolor, now known as Harlequin.
    Trust me, i love amps, dont get me wrong.
    Ant- I have a seedgrown ceph as well. Doesnt mean too much TBH, its nice to know its unique, but its not like a Nep where most are male in cultivation and your hoping for god its a female, or a pure species.
    Frankie again, the whole Ball-less comment, really not called for considering i have stood up for myself, And im tired of being flamed.
    Ill pop in time and again to say hi or put my input in on a nep thread or something.
    Dont expect me to reply to threads from people who just flamed the hell out of me for saying a trade didnt sound fair.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast