Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do you ship a plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've already gotten the two best ways to ship plants potted an bare root. If I want to go the really cheap way, I bare root them and package them in a similar way as dustin described (wrap roots in sphagnum and a moist paper towel), but I do use a ziploc bag.

Then I put them in a padded envelope to ship them. A padded envelope costs only $1 to ship USPS versus $5 for the cheapest box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I send them bare root wrapped in a paper towel and packed in a ziplock bag with newspaper in the box for cushioning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    I send them bare root wrapped in a paper towel and packed in a ziplock bag with newspaper in the box for cushioning.
    Now that i think of it, i just got some *cough* hostas *cough* wrapped in moist newspaper rather than paper towel, though they are probably not as sensitive as cps. has anyone tried wrapping their cps in moist newspaper when sending them?, sounds like a cheper alternative than papertowel, or napkins, well i can say i usually have newspaper laying around over papertowels, napkins are fairly inexpensive i think lol.

also again, was there any special way that people pack barerooted dews? or smaller plants?, or do you just do the wrap roots, baggie method?, im just never happy when i pack them that way and my dews dont look as happy as say a nep or something lol.

dustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i usually send potted, so when i send em potted, i take wet toilet paper or paper towel, tear it into strips and fold them into strips that fit from one side to another on the pot, the same on all 4 sides to hold soil down and moisture, i add more strips to fill the gaps around the plant, and tape those down. the plant is still exposed so what i do after that is, place a cup of some kind over the plant to keep it from getting damaged.
    i then wrap the entire pot in plastic wrap to keep from losing moisture, tape the wrap to hold it, and thats it.
    people who have received flytraps from me have never complained.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. that sounds good. Thanx!
    They're watching us. o.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't use tissue or bathroom tissue to wrap the plants. It is too soft and disintegrates too easily. Also, don't fill the baggie with water. I have had plants come to me this way. It was a disintigrated mess.

For smaller things like sundews and pings I usually put them in a snack size ziplock bag with some sphagnum moss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive wrapped the plants with toilet tissue plenty of times with no problem. i get the paper wet then squeeze out the excess and wrap em. never had an issue with it, but of course i wrap the roots in LFS first or something if its bareroot, or just LFS and plastic wrap...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12