What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Sarracenia oreophila seeds!

That’s correct. Free seed giveaway!

In accordance with ESA / CITES, This is a totally free giveaway. I pay shipping and all.
I will choose 6 people to send 20 – 25 seeds each of Sarracenia oreophila. So it does not matter if you respond first, you may not be selected to receive the seeds.

I will pick the 6 people for this giveaway on September 16, 2009.

Open to continental US only.

Sarracenia oreophila is on the ESA / CITES list. Please read the following links before replying:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4310.html
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4320.html

You will need to answer the following questions:

1. Did you read the above links for ESA and CITES?
2. How old are you?
3. How many years have you been growing carnivorous plants?
4. How many years have you been growing Sarracenia?
5. How many Sarracenia species and Hybrids do you grow? (Example: Do not count growing 3 S. purpurea as 3 plants, it’s 1.)
6. A brief description of the conditions of where you grow your Sarracenia?
7. Have you ever germinated Sarracenia from seed before?
8. Person you feel is most helpful on Terraforums?
9. Who will win the Superbowl is season?

Final note:
Do not contact me in any way asking me to pick you or about selling, trading for these seeds. It’s illegal and will not be done!

Last edited:
1. Yep, read and understood. :)
2. 12.
3. Nearly four years in December.
4. About two of those four years.
5. A measly three species and hybrids, S. flava var. rubricorpra, S. "Pyro's Unk." and S. x 'Hummer's Hammerhead'. Used to grow much more, but the squirrels took many of my others. Since then, I've protected them with deterrents and a screened off area.
6. I grow my Sarracenia on a screened off, sunny area (they get sunlight nearly all day), sitting in around an inch of water. The conditions in CA are hard (low humidity, heat), but most thrive readily.
7. Nope, but once got some Darlingtonia seeds to germinate. Does that count for anything?
8. The old timers, and people with experience, such as Not a Number, BigBella, You (I'm not a kiss up, really), and a few others, respectfully.
9. I don't follow football, so whoever you want it to be. ;)

Christopher. :)

Thanks for the opportunity!

-Yes
2. How old are you?
-17, 18 in December
-About 5
-About 4
5. How many Sarracenia species and Hybrids do you grow? (Example: Do not count growing 3 S. purpurea as 3 plants, it’s 1.)
-Central NC, zone 7. Somewhat hot summers with pretty mild winters. Full sun.
-No
-A toss up between Not A Number and BigBella. (I'm sure there's someone else I'm forgetting)
9. Who will win the Superbowl this season?
380px-madden_nfl_09_dolphins_logo_large.png

1. Yes I read the above links and fully understand
2. I am 31 y/o
3. Have been growing carnivorous plants for 3-4 years
4. I have been growing Sarracenia for 3 years
5. I have 10 different sarracenia (Flava, leucophylla, daina's delight, catabaseai, scarlet belle, purperea, rubra, judith hindle, love bug, and unknown hybrid)
6. I am growing them in Iowa in a part of my yard that gets 10+ hours of direct sunlight. I grow them utilizing the tray method. In the winter my plants spend their dormancy in a greenhouse that is kept heated to just above freezing.
7. I have started germinating seeds the last year or two in which I start by stratifying them in a fridge with damp LFS for 1.5 months then germinate them under flourescent lights.
8. I have found that many of the members on this forum have been very helpful but find scotty chaos has been helpful secondary to my growing conditions are similar.
9. Then Denver Broncos I wish however more then likely the steelers again.

1. Did you read the above links for ESA and CITES? Yes I have, and I will understand if you wish to give the seeds of an endangered plant to someone with more exp. but if I do get them I will treat them right.

2. How old are you? 20
3. How many years have you been growing carnivorous plants? Off and on, new at keeping them alive (S. Pururea is doing well and getting color after being in a cube and I saved my FlyTrap)

4. How many years have you been growing Sarracenia? I beleive I had a Sarr. in the past my current one has been with me for about a Month, which is good because it hasn't died. Would it help if I said that it is my best fed plant and one of the pitchers opened up a few days ago which is the 2nd largest on the plant ATM.

(Although I don't have long experiance with keeping them alive, I do know now what not to do which is half of the battle)

5. How many Sarracenia species and Hybrids do you grow? (Example: Do not count growing 3 S. purpurea as 3 plants, it’s 1.) 1 S. Purpurea but I would like to get more to grow.

6. A brief description of the conditions of where you grow your Sarracenia? In a south window with a grow light and with good air circulation and RO water bought just for my CPs. I live in VA by the way.

7. Have you ever germinated Sarracenia from seed before? No, but I do know that stratification is needed usually.

8. Person you feel is most helpful on Terraforums? I'm a noob and just joined so...Andrew I guess, however the collective knowledge of all the people on the forum is likely the best collective expert.

9. Who will win the Superbowl is season? I want to say my team, GB Packers, however I get the feeling if I say that a PA team will win I might do better. However I can only remember one PA team because that is the one my friend likes who is from PA so I'll keep Packers because I like cheese. XD

Thanks for spreading this species. Hope we can bring it back.

1. Did you read the above links for ESA and CITES? Yes
2. How old are you? 12, just like clue!(13 on november 19)
3. How many years have you been growing carnivorous plants? about 3-4 years
4. How many years have you been growing Sarracenia? 3-
5. How many Sarracenia species and Hybrids do you grow? (Example: Do not count growing 3 S. purpurea as 3 plants, it’s 1.) 29(i counted different varities)
6. A brief description of the conditions of where you grow your Sarracenia? Outside. bring them into garage for winter.
7. Have you ever germinated Sarracenia from seed before? no, but i have some stratifying now.
8. Person you feel is most helpful on Terraforums? sarracenia,and cp-connection are very nice and helpful
9. Who will win the Superbowl is season? I won't answer this because i do not care for football. But i will just say maybe a team on the west coast this year

why only for US only:(
I think it might have to do with the issue of exporting the seeds. They are endangered so you would need a lot of paperwork and permits to get them legally out of the US, and since he wanted people to read about the ESA and CITES, he wants to do it legally and make sure other people do it legally too. You cannot sell or trade for the plants or seeds, only give them away for free or as a gift.

1. Yes
2. 14
3. 2 (3 if you count the year I grew them when I was 9)
4. 2
6. Hot humid summers (lots of light) mild/cold/wet winters. outside (of course) year round.
7. yes, died due to lack of water.
8. Nan, Cp-C, or Pyro
9. I would like the TN Titans too, but the Steelers will probaly end up winning again.

Thanks for doing this, even if I don't win.

1. Yep
2. 28
3. 3
4. 3 (my first carnivorous plant was a Sarr)
5. 5 (plus a lot of random unidentifiable at the moment seedlings)
6. I live in GA so it is generally fairly ideal for Sarrs
7. Yep
8. Probably Pyro, PaK, Ozzy
9. I don't really follow football; so, The Falcons since I am from ATL

Thanks for the offer I really appreciate it, this is a great opportunity for the TF crowd!

Should be making my picks tomorrow, so if you want the chance sign up now.

1. Yes!
2. 29
3. 2
4. 2
5. 11
6. Outside on the patio, full sun, sitting in water, 50/50 peat/perlite - next year gonna try minibogs.
7. nope.
8. I actually like your site regarding nepenthes (suckup!) - I'm doing my darndest to grow all of mine in the windows, but my wife's getting tired of it...but really, I've gotten help from many people on this forum. That's what is so great about it: you can post a stupid question and get tons of replies with different opinions and suggestions.
9. I don't follow bowling. Just kidding. But I really don't follow football, so I'll go with my native Seahawks.:-))

Should be making my picks tomorrow, so if you want the chance sign up now.

Will post who got them or send message to people who didn't get them saying they didn't? Just wondering because I can't stand suppensce like this. XD Though I don't really have high hopes of getting any seeds (though I have a nice home for them and fresh soil), because I'm a noob. :-O Oh well, if I don't get any I can always try again some other time.

The suspense (and the procrastination) are killing me! :-O

Tellmedetails, tellmedetails, tellmedetails. ;)

It's cool if he takes a while I guess, he wants to make sure the people will take care of the plants and not kill them or attempt to profit off of them.

1. No, but I already know it.
2. 36
3. 24 years if you count when I first tried but killed it.
4. 9 years
5. I don't know 10+
6. I plant em outside and let them take care of themselves.
7. no. I let them sprout on their own
8. You of course
9. Don't know, don't care, but I'm kicking your but in fantasy nascar.

I don't want the seeds, I just wanted to answer your questions.
:banana2:

Can't believe I missed this if I am too late at least it was fun answering.

1. Yes
2. 34
3. 2 years succesfully, killed my first one about 17 years ago back in High School. (purpurea ssp. purpurea)
4. 2 years
5. 7
6. Outdoors during spring and summer, garage during harsh Zone 5 winters and then outdoors again when temps are above 32. It is my workout regimen during the winter.
7. No, but I finally have flowering size Sarracenia and will be germinating Rubra ssp Jonesii this spring. I have germinated other seeds that require stratification though.
8. Pyro, Avi8tor, Tony P, Crissytal have been the most helpful to me through either generosity or sheer knowledge.
9. As long as the Pats don't win I will be happy.

2. How old are you?
9. Who will win the Superbowl is season?

1. Yes
2. 22. Gonna be 23 this Nov
3. 5 to 6 years.
4. 2 or 3 at the most.
5. 3. Rubra Alabamensis, Danas Delight, and an Unknown sarr from Lowes.
6. I grow my sarrs in my Lowland GH with my neps. But in a brighter location.
7. I havent had the chance to try Sarr seed yet. But look forward to it. This would be a nice one as a first from seed.
8. Not sure who is the most helpful in General. But for now, I think your the Most helpful.
9. I'm not sure who will win the Super bowl, I hope for the Best though with your Team.

I hope I'm not too late to enter this awesome giveaway. Thank you so much for the Opportunity. Oroephylla is one of my Favorite Sarrs.

Hope I'm not too late. Thanks for the opportunity!

1. Yes
2. 21
3. 2 years
4. About 1 1/2 years
5. 16
6. Warm summers and mild winters.
7. Yes
8. I can't really say that one person has been more helpful then anyone else. I learned a lot from everyone.
9. I don't follow football, so I guess whoever you want to win.

It was suppose to end 2 days ago. I haven't heard anything from him and don't know if he will say who got it or will just send messages to people who did.

Back