Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A newbie who likes to grow seeds...a brief story and a request

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    Ooh, not to hijack the thread or anything, but the Albion Bog is full of CPs... and contrary to most's beliefs, that's a bad thing. Back in the '80's, some CP enthusiasts decided to sprinkle around a whole bunch of different seeds and plant some small seedlings. The Albion Bog is now host to Sarracenia, Drosera of many types, Utricularia (I think), Darlingtonia, and Heliamphora (I think)... efforts towards removal of the plants recently have been made.
    Yeah, I've read about that in some of the back issues of the ICPS. That sort of experimentation probably started in the 70s. Kind of a shame how big of a mess they made it. A lot of the non-native species subdued native plants.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Um, additionally, if anyone could give me a heads up as to a good place to get a starter ceph (something small, or even seeds), I'd appreciate it. I understand that negotiating a purchase via this forum isn't appropriate, but if someone could throw me the first breadcrumb as to where to get something affordable and suitable for dipping one's toes into the world of cephs, I'd appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ay, I have seeds...only 3 or 4 kinds though. Might as well take a look. I heard you mentioned tomething about cobra pitcher seeds...do you have any left?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to disappoint you guys but The Nature Conservancy is restoring the Albion Bog. All the Sarracenia and Dionaea have been removed. The only native carnivorous plants to that area are Drosera rotundifolia and Utricularia gibba. There are no historic records of Darlingtonia californica of ever having been found on this site so it is considered non-native and is being removed.

The ineradicable species such as Drosera capensis, D. binata, Utricularia subulata and U. bisquamata are being monitored and aggressive control measures are being evaluated. The introduced D. capensis has been displacing the native D. rotundifolia.

The plants removed were donated to UC Berkeley and any further introductions will be destroyed.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I'm glad to hear that. There've been concerns about the aggressive species (binata definitely being one of the most problematic species) for a long long time. There are conversations in the newsgroup archives of the ICPS from 10 years ago where many members were arguing for restoration of the site.

That had to have been an amazing amount of work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you guys but The Nature Conservancy is restoring the Albion Bog. All the Sarracenia and Dionaea have been removed. The only native carnivorous plants to that area are Drosera rotundifolia and Utricularia gibba. There are no historic records of Darlingtonia californica of ever having been found on this site so it is considered non-native and is being removed.

The ineradicable species such as Drosera capensis, D. binata, Utricularia subulata and U. bisquamata are being monitored and aggressive control measures are being evaluated. The introduced D. capensis has been displacing the native D. rotundifolia.

The plants removed were donated to UC Berkeley and any further introductions will be destroyed.
    Oh, it's good news that they're eradicating them... Drosera rotundifolia and U. gibba are pleasant enough to see in the wild.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12