Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A newbie who likes to grow seeds...a brief story and a request

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A newbie who likes to grow seeds...a brief story and a request

About three months ago, an article I read about a recently discovered species of pitcher plant (Nepenthes attenboroughii) reawoke old memories of the days I spent as a kid in the early '90s, killing one venus fly trap after another (as many of us did, I'm sure). And I got curious...

I picked up a couple VFTs and what I recently figured out is a D. capensis from Home Depot (the subsequent murder of one of the VFTs by my cats taught me a quick lesson about keeping the animals at bay). I started doing some reading on the internet, then learned that David Conner actually lives in my old hometown, and works here in Sacramento where I live now, and subsequently met him in person and acquired a few VFTs, and a couple random Drosera (the usual capensis, binata, and a couple random, unidentified pygmies). And then I set up a grow rack (thanks to a very, very forgiving girlfriend).

Then I came into some VFT and binata seed and discovered that I really, really enjoy growing seed. I like my plants, but I really love that process of seeing green appear, where previously there were only small hard granules. I'm blown away by the minute yet functional traps that have appeared on the baby dionaea.

Thus, my appeal. If you've got some spare seed that you don't have the time or room to grow, could I possibly have a small sample to take a crack at? Drosera, sarrs, anything... I'm just rabidly curious about that process of germination and cultivation, especially since the VFTs are ready to take their naps and I need something to keep me occupied and learning about different species.

When anything I have produces seed, I'd be happy to pay the favor back, or pay it forward, if you prefer. I'm more than happy to pay shipping or send an SASE, whatever is needed. Feel free to PM me or reply here with any comments or concerns. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pathetic. JOKING! I will send you some seeds because trading/giving is fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cp-connection View Post
    Pathetic. JOKING! I will send you some seeds because trading/giving is fun.
    Hey hey hey now, easy there.

I've been really amazed by this community, and I'm actually eager to give back to it. It's really interesting to think about something you've grown producing offspring that grow far beyond what little way the seed could normally have dispersed. This sort of thing turns what would be an almost monastic or hermetic hobby into something that is quite social and open. It's quite cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ever get to the point where I have an over-abundance of Nepenthes Edwardsiana seeds, I'll look you up.

Also, you live about 3 hours away from Cherry hill. It's a bog in Butte county full of Darlingtonia and 4 other CP's. If you ever wanted to see some CP's in their natural habitat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamer View Post
    If I ever get to the point where I have an over-abundance of Nepenthes Edwardsiana seeds, I'll look you up.

Also, you live about 3 hours away from Cherry hill. It's a bog in Butte county full of Darlingtonia and 4 other CP's. If you ever wanted to see some CP's in their natural habitat.
    Heh, from what I've read about Edwardsiana, I don't think there's such a thing as overabundance.

And I don't know about Cherry Hill, but I do know there's a bog near Ft. Bragg that I've wanted to visit for quite a long time, as it has a number of species (both natural and introduced) growing there. And there's also a CP nursery near there as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to Fort Bragg quite a few times myself. I love the Mendocino area too. I haven't seen any CP's there though. I just recently found out about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're supposed to be in what's called the Albion Bog. There isn't a tremendous amount of information out there as to the exact location. I keep hoping to find out a bit more. I haven't been down to the Mendocino area in seven or eight years, so I'm due...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nesler
    ...in what's called the Albion Bog.
    Ooh, not to hijack the thread or anything, but the Albion Bog is full of CPs... and contrary to most's beliefs, that's a bad thing. Back in the '80's, some CP enthusiasts decided to sprinkle around a whole bunch of different seeds and plant some small seedlings. The Albion Bog is now host to Sarracenia, Drosera of many types, Utricularia (I think), Darlingtonia, and Heliamphora (I think)... efforts towards removal of the plants recently have been made.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast