What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

104+ packs of ~50 Sarr seeds each for SASE

Andy: I got my seeds a few days ago... they were crushed (presumably by the mail rollers...).

Perhaps try wrapping the seed packet in multiple sheets of paper for protection, or try adding some bubblewrap on the inside.

Then again, go simple and use a bubble mailer

The seeds are in a folded envelope and wrapped in a paper towel, I'm afraid adding anything else is not going to help, if the seeds are getting crushed through that the only option is to send a bubble envelope (I guess those go through different sorters?) I've never had an issue before and then in this give away people are saying they are getting crushed seeds, I don't get it...

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

OR! this is a new method of destruction by the USPS to make us mail more to make up for their poor fund allocations haha! I was missing 6 (yes six!) invoices last month... Yes, my mailbox is secured... So where does the problem lie? Surely with the 6 different companies that sent me an invoice that month :-))

The seeds are in a folded envelope and wrapped in a paper towel, I'm afraid adding anything else is not going to help, if the seeds are getting crushed through that the only option is to send a bubble envelope (I guess those go through different sorters?) I've never had an issue before and then in this give away people are saying they are getting crushed seeds, I don't get it...

Interesting...

Somebody sent me 5 Drosera hibernacula in January - in a regular letter envelope. They are all green and healthy, they aren't squished at all - they're unfurling their first leaves now. I guess Canada's mail sorters haven't yet been 'upgraded' to steam rollers :p

I had someone send me a Venus flytrap once many years ago for a trade... in a normal letter envelope, in a zip lock baggie. hahaha It did not make it :crap:

Just put a small piece of foam or styrofoam in the (padded) envelope. It will prevent crushing.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

OR! this is a new method of destruction by the USPS to make us mail more to make up for their poor fund allocations haha! I was missing 6 (yes six!) invoices last month... Yes, my mailbox is secured... So where does the problem lie? Surely with the 6 different companies that sent me an invoice that month :-))

Yeah, from my most recent seed SASE, for the first time I heard complaints of crushed seeds, too, while earlier the same year I didn't pad them at all. Very interesting... it only makes it harder to be generous now! >.<

Andy,

if i send a tiny plastic vial in the envelope for SASE could you just put it in that and send it?

~billy

Of course! I'll send it back in whatever you provide, just make sure you have appropriate shipping on everything.

For the crushed seeds issue....add something to pad them and add (it used to be $0.49 more) and write in big bold bright letters "HAND CANCEL ONLY!!! SEEDS INSIDE!!!" That has worked well for me in the past.

Same as above, whatever is provided for me is what/how I'll ship them :)

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Remember to put your updates in this topic: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120595 so I can try to keep this one fairly clean :p

Hey Andy do you still have some seeds I could send off for? If so I'll send out a SASE tomorrow and if not, I'll just have to lurk moar.

And and these will have to be stratified correct?

Hey Andy do you still have some seeds I could send off for? If so I'll send out a SASE tomorrow and if not, I'll just have to lurk moar.

And and these will have to be stratified correct?

STILL no need to ask. If the topic is open and you have not gotten some already, put your name and send! :bigthumpup:

Yes, they need to be stratified.

Andrew

here's a new one for me, my seeds ripped out of the envelope and got my envelope in a usps window envelope without the stamp stamped by the post office...what load of crap.

i personally think its usps workers thinking its pot seeds and jacked it, who knows.

edit: anyway, thanks Andy for trying

~billy

Ugh, I was worried about that... since it's not flat (put the seeds in the vial you shipped) it could be rolled and forced right out the back. That's what happened with the VFT bulb that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Interesting that it shipped to me just fine though. I filled that little vial up too... :(

ya well, let me know if there are any extras, i think i can still send this envelope since it doesnt look like it got processed, unused stamp still on it. weird?

~billy

You're welcome to retry... We can try the just padding the seed method and see if they can make it that way.
Andrew

SASE in the mail again for tomorrows pickup. good luck to me.

~billy

LUCK!!

sase will be ready by tuesday to send out, (gotta get stamps). eta on the seeds after you recieve and send them back out?

Uhm, I generally get them out the next day. So whatever the mail time is... 4-6 days-ish?
Andrew

still haven't gotten my envelope yet?

I got it yesterday. It should go out tomorrow, mail has already ran today by the time I got home.

strange.. why does it say I made my last post was made yesterday when it's been up for about a week? Still no SASE on your end and still no response from you. Curious..

The post above was 2 days ago, about a week ago you requested seed. I added you to the list (note the 2nd post, you are #46 and the topic was last edited on March 26th) and deleted the request (as I have been, I'm deleting posts so it's not long of seed requests and chatter.. since so many seed packs are being given away in this topic.) Not sure what you're trying to say here... you will get the seeds. Sorry it took me 2 days to answer if I got your sase??? :confused:

Andrew,

Just received the SASE!!! looks like the yellow envelope made it with no problems, got them in stratifying mode now, thanks a bunch for resending.

~billy
Glad it made it bud! good luck :)

Last edited:
I wonder how hard these seeds are to grow? I sowed them by pouring them over a minibog thats outside.. I hope they germinate

Mine are starting to germinate. It only took about 2 weeks after taking them out of the fridge. So far I have about a dozen little baby sarr's. :woot:

I had a pack of these once in the fridge for a couple of months, and when I pulled them out they had germinated and died long ago. I didn't know plants would do that without water.

Back