What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. Jonesii (LIVE) Giveaway

I am Bob

Not really
Yes, that's right. free. shipping and all.

I will do a drawing based on certain criteria

1. have you (honestly) been growing sarrs for 2 years?
2. Do you own any of the three extremely endangered sarrs (Jonesii, alabemensis, oreophilia.) If so, which
3. do you realize how rare this plant is, even in cultivation?
4. Why do you think you deserve this plant?

I will definatly be giving away 2, possibly 3. all are divisions that should flower within the next year or so.

Mods: any concerns with such a giveaway? I know that this is a debated issue as to how this giveaway process goes.

******Sorry. U.S. only*******

PS.: Just to add, he's paying for shipping and everything. That way it's perfectly legal.

Not here to enter for one, just comment.

Just a suggestion - be a super guy and include a detailed letter explaining how the plant came to you, how it was propagated and that you gave it freely as a gift. I have an S. oreophila that came from a forumer here that has apparently since fallen out of the hobby, and if I ever want to start a nursery I'll have to give it away or do a lot of jumping through hoops to prove that it came into my possession legally. Since I got it free, I suppose easy come easy go, but it would bug me less if it weren't so rare. :D I'd rather keep mine and give away divisions of it.
Otherwise, awesome offer. If I did a better job of collecting and tracking location data on my plants I might enter for this, but as it is I've got plenty with one. Thanks for getting this plant on more growlists!
~Joe

Hmm... I'll enter! :)

Yes, for well over 2 years.

2. Do you own any of the three extremely endangered sarrs (Jonesii, alabemensis, oreophilia.) If so, which

Yes, I have a S. oreophila "Alabama" clone that I obtained from a grower here in California.

Yes, I do.

First, I admire the plant's aesthetic appeal (as with almost all Sarrs). I don't have many Sarrs, but I have not lost any that I have purchased/acquired. If it divides I could also pass on divisions, spreading the plant to others. :)

Thanks so much for offering! :-O

Awesome offer! People who can do giveaways are my heros. I'd definately like to add my name to the possibilities! PM'd!

-isaac

Wow, a rare giveaway indeed...

Honestly, I've only been growing sarrs for 1 year and 7 months. That rounds up to 2 years, right?

I have a S. oreophila x alata. That's the closest I've got to an extremely endangered sarr.

In the wild, it's virtually extinct. In cultivation, it's pretty hard to come by, and cannot be legally sold or traded across state lines.

I've been a mostly good boy this year, Santa, I mean Steven. Plus I'll take good care of it. I provide plenty of sunlight, r/o water, and lfs for my sarrs.

Thanks for your most generous offer,
raccoon city

Yes, for about 10 years

I have an oreophilia from Alabama

Most definitely, yes!

I'm good at growing sars. I live in Mississippi, which is the perfect natural habitat for them, so I don't have to worry about what to do with them in the winter or anything like that. You can see threads where I have posted my pics of my plants, they are all nice and big and healthy. Very easy to grow for me, and I really enjoy them.

Yes, got my first Sarr. 2 years ago.
I have 4 Oreophila seedlings, 6 months old
Yes
I have a lot of Sarrs(30+), and they're all happy, so if I got one, it should be happy too!

I have been growing for three years. The last year it has really become an addiction!
2. Do you own any of the three extremely endangered sarrs (Jonesii, alabemensis, oreophilia.)
If so, which
I have oreophilia purchased from a well known nursery in northern California
I do and as a member of the ICPS I do as much as I can to help preserve endangered species
I would be honored to have the oppertunity to grow this plant. Also I would pay it forward when the time came!

Do I have to put my answer here or send a PM?

1. have you (honestly) been growing sarrs for 2 years? Yes.
2. Do you own any of the three extremely endangered sarrs (Jonesii, alabemensis, oreophilia.) If so, which? S. oreophila 'Sand Mountain'.
3. do you realize how rare this plant is, even in cultivation? I do now.
4. Why do you think you deserve this plant? Hmmm, well, because I would like to help protect the species by ensuring that if something were ever to happen to the plants in the wild, there are many more scattered throughout the US, and elsewhere in homes and nurseries.

1. have you (honestly) been growing sarrs for 2 years? Yes
2. Do you own any of the three extremely endangered sarrs (Jonesii, alabemensis, oreophilia.) If so, which Oreophila
3. do you realize how rare this plant is, even in cultivation? Yes i do.
4. Why do you think you deserve this plant? I don't think I have done nothing to deserve it, i would just like to stare at it all day(in the summer) until my eyes melt.:-))(Ouch)

I will be choosing on Dec. 25th. any entries beyond then will be discarded. I have received many pm's on this offer, and have plenty of room in my inbox. if you prefer to send a pm, feel free to do so.

yes
Nope, this would be my first, but I have lots of others, so experience is not a problem.
yes
I suppose I don't deserve it any more or less than anyone else, except that I would be more than willing to divide it and give away plants to make sure it stays in cultivation and give other people a chance to grow this plant. Thanks!

I have been growing sars for a year and a half

I have no experience whatsover with the rarer varieties.
No. I have no Idea of its extent in cultivation. I know it is extremely threatened in the wild, and I know where it lives in the wild.

NOTE: You don't know me. There are many more experienced than I am out there. I doubt you will pick me, but thanks for considering.

• I have NEVER lost one sarracenia (have 10 so far)
  • My sars do wonderfully. I am in a mild climate, so flava pitchers even in fall!
  • I have taken a cutting from a marble-sized growth point without roots and grew it into a plant.
  • I will devide this sar every year and trade the divisions out.
  • As mentioned, the plant would have plenty of space. the bog is 20 inches deep of good media x 4 feetx 2 feet--it is even mobile so I can take it with me if I move.
  • I have all the sars for my bog except a rubra.

Once again, thanks for considering!
Thanks for the generous offer!

1 and a half.
2. Do you own any of the three extremely endangered sarrs (Jonesii, alabemensis, oreophilia.) If so, which? I'm about to obtain some S. Oreophila from the ICPS Seedbank.
3. do you r ealize how rare this plant is, even in cultivation?
Yes I do. I've seen many growlists and saw that many people don't have these wonderful plants. I mean the endangered species.
I think I deserve this plant because I live on a mountain, I KNOW I have the right conditions for this plant, and I would to grow it.

I sure hope I'm not too late.

(SDCPs, to have every species you need to add Oreophila, Purpurea, Rosea, and Alata.)

1. I've been growing sarrs around 2 or 3 years.
2. I owned a Alabamensis. I gave it away as a free plant to a good friend here on the forums. I'm trying to germinate some Oreophilia seeds at the moment.
3. Yes I do realize how rare this plant is.
4. I think I deserve this plant because I know I can keep this plant alive and happy. All my sarrs seem to like my growing conditions. They never seem to complain, LOL.

Winner's have been chosen. Sorry that every one could not win. Maybe next year...

Back