What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"SASE"-D. capensis 'Albino'

Very Nice! I don't usually keep the media that wet but looking good!

Should I let the tray get completely dry before I add more water? The plants' roots are so small that I'm afraid that if the top of the soil gets dry in just that one little spot, the plant can dry out.

I took all the saran off today. I didn't want to make the mistake I made with my last seedlings where I kept the saran on (for 8 months or so) and let algae get to everything.

Should I let the tray get completely dry before I add more water? The plants' roots are so small that I'm afraid that if the top of the soil gets dry in just that one little spot, the plant can dry out.

I took all the saran off today. I didn't want to make the mistake I made with my last seedlings where I kept the saran on (for 8 months or so) and let algae get to everything.

No, just don't let the soil dry out. If letting the tray dry works then go for it. That's usually what I do.

Just keep it moist and you'll be fine. You're not doing anything wrong if they grow well!

BTW:

That is an awesome picture!

I would like to know if:

1) Those that have sent a "SASE" would do this again if there was more seed of a different kind offered.
2) What is the demand for the seed now? If I suddenly had more, would anyone be interested in it (speaking primarily to those that haven't gotten any)?
3) Those that have observed this thread and the proceedings, what are your reactions?

Thank you all who respond to these questions. I'd like to get a feel for the public opinion--in case I want to do this again :)

i would definetely do this again, great opportunity to get some really cool plants.

I would be very interested in different varieties of seed and would happily do it again.

List:

1James H
2 ieat100s

Thanks! PM'd.

i would be glad to this again and ill be interested the varieties of seeds

i would definetely do this again, great opportunity to get some really cool plants.

I would be very interested in different varieties of seed and would happily do it again.

List:

1James H
2 ieat100s

Thanks! PM'd.

Go Ahead!

i would be glad to this again and ill be interested the varieties of seeds

I'm very glad that you guys had a good experience!

Based on the success of this thread, I will probably do it again!

I'll wait for some others to comment too (if they see these posts.)

yay

its been 12 and 7 of mines have started to germante or sprout w/e you call it :D i cant wait till more starts to sprout/germanate :-O

I missed it before, but I'd do it. Really since I'm just starting out all sundews are good sundews :)

HECK! I've got mold growing on the surface of one of my pots. I tried to scrape it away, but didn't get very close to the seedlings. I also dropped some of the moldy soil into the watering tray. D: I hope that doesn't harm it. I'm scared.

XLCH3.jpg

Should I spray something on this pot? Should I take this pot out of the watering tray to let it dry out some?

I had a bunch of sundew seedlings I lost to algae before. It really stinks to let your babies die like this :-(

EDIT: It's across more than one of the pots. I think I keep the soil too wet. :-(

:puke2: Sorry

Crap...idk what to tell you dude. i really didnt have any problem. did you wash all of your media before you used it? i think if you let it dry out you might kill the dews. if anything doesnt work ill def send you a dew (or a bunch) when i feel comfortable with unpotting them (im a noobie).

I rinsed all my media. I keep the pots in water all the time, and try not to let it dry out. I'm going to let it dry a little. I appreciate your offer, jafvortex. The sundews still look healthy right now. I think I might be bad at growing from seed. All the electricity used by the lights and I can't even do it right. :-(

HECK! I've got mold growing on the surface of one of my pots. Should I spray something on this pot? Should I take this pot out of the watering tray to let it dry out some?

I had a bunch of sundew seedlings I lost to algae before.
EDIT: It's across more than one of the pots. I think I keep the soil too wet.

Ten,
Spraying something? I remember NaN posting chamomile tea because it contains sulfur. (cool ofcoure). You can also top water your media. I have noticed that helps to control any algae. I recommend don't dry the media. Its good that your media is wet or at least very moist.

Loosing seedlings to algae? I read in a book I THINK by Adrian Slack or someone reputable and NaN too I THINK,(which I agree) that while algae looks ugly your seedlings will grow and not get killed by the algae. From personal experience I have not yet lost seeds because of algae. I have only noticed that they grow at a slower rate.

Lastly, the problem is that your soil is too wet is just that you may have poor air circulation.
Poor air circulation = algae. I have plants inside and out and usually my algae is little to almost none because I try to make sure I have enought air flowing around.

Oh yeah I forgot, you should of tried the outdoors. C'mon its a D. capensis for crying out loud. lol. Hope this helps.

~Jesse

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones that had algae were under saran for 8 months or so. The ones with mold aren't covered, but are on a grow rack with mylar lining two sides of it... I don't know if mold cares about air flow or not, though.

I have 8 pots of D. capensis seedlings, I guess it can't hurt to put one or two outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep the plants moist. Let the tray dry for a day or two before refilling. That will probably help you a ton.

You might also try Physan 20, it's a fungicide. It will kill the mold and algae.

Good luck! :boogie:

You will end up with a plant or two...you have 8 pots going!

Can I find that at local greenhouses, or Lowe's..... and it's safe for even seedlings? Thanks

It is safe for seedlings but IDK where to find it. I got mine at a local nursery.

I could send you some for a CP or a fee.

Can I find that at local greenhouses, or Lowe's..... and it's safe for even seedlings? Thanks

I just put three pots outside. I scrape off all the mold, and it comes back. I have fewer and fewer seedlings with each passing day. I haven't tried looking for Physan yet. I think I'll go get chamomile tea today.

Back