What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted: live Selaginella lepidophylla

I've tried a few of the dried plants, but never had any luck. My experience and online research seems to indicate that they're not often vialble from dried plants. I'm curious if anyone in the southwest is growing them. If not, does anyone have any growing on their private land which they'd be willing to harvest and trade? I'm hoping to grow them as a companion plant to my Mexican Pinguicula. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'd be especially interested in any plants which come with location information, but only if they're legally and responsibly harvested/propagated.

Check my growlist to see if there's anything interesting. Most of my plants are currently one-offs, but I'm working to propagate all of them.

Thanks!

I think I'll join this want-ad, if you don't mind, Jrod. I want to grow some, too.

I googled 'em: thinkgeek.com

They are selling these for $7.99
Their kit includes:

•Live Dinosaur Plant (Selaginella Lepidophylla)
•Bag of genuine Volcanic Lava Rock
•Display Bowl

They do state that these are live, but who knows.

Other folks are selling them as dried plants.
They will uncurl yes, but won't be living, as there is no rhizome.
If I remember right, you need a live*plant to grow—which makes sense right!?
Hope this helps.

Mine was starting to put on new growth and I thought I would take it out of the bowl with just water and plant it in a very sandy soil substrate and use the tray method of watering. It wil stay green as slowly put on new growth as long as the tray has water in it at all times.

Every time I kept mine in water, it rotted. This is why I've been hesitant in getting any more, until I get them figured out.

The plant is "alive" even in it's dried up stage. So this comes just as any other dry. I have always wanted to try one of these too! Just never got around to it. Let me know how everything works out!

I googled 'em: thinkgeek.com

They are selling these for $7.99
Their kit includes:

•Live Dinosaur Plant (Selaginella Lepidophylla)
•Bag of genuine Volcanic Lava Rock
•Display Bowl

They do state that these are live, but who knows.

Other folks are selling them as dried plants.
They will uncurl yes, but won't be living, as there is no rhizome.
If I remember right, you need a live*plant to grow—which makes sense right!?
Hope this helps.

I have gotten too many dried DEAD plants. They un-furl into a nice, lush, brown corpse. I had one once that WAS live, but... I won't tell what happened to it.

Sounds like I'm not the only one who's interested. Based on this conversation, the bagged dry plants are pretty much dead matter which uncurls when wet due to tissue structure, not resumed growth. It seems that a few people have had luck regrowing plants from rehydrated shoots, but not from the original rhizoid.

I started by placing a few in dishes of water, but they rotted. So, I thought I'd try a few in wet LFS to keep them moist but not rot them. Same result. I'd have to agree that the dried plants are mostly a no-go, although I'm going to try the tip-rehydration method and see if I can get some plantlets.

I just figured that there might be a forum member or two near the Rio Grande who might be willing to spare a live one, or even better someone who has it in cultivation and could spare a division. They're such gorgeous plants when they're growing well!

Still interested if anyone has one...

Back