What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Needed: exo-terra fogger transformer

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
A friend recently gave me her retired exo-terra setup; the whole thing, terrarium, waterfall, thermometer, hygrometer, and much more. It just seems to have only one thing misplaced, the transformer for the fogger.

I called Drs. Foster & Smith and then Exo-Terra themselves. Neither place could sell me just a transformer. I even told ET what a loyal customer the previous owner was and how I planned to be the same, how well it all worked, etc. I would have thought they could have sold me one, but I was told they couldn't do that... after I finally reached a live person by punching random extensions and being transferred. I was told that they usually don't even talk with people! It's fixed up all automatic and they only call you back if they have to.

So far, I am not at all impressed with the company's customer relations. They really take the customer out of customer service. I would have gotten nowhere if I hadn't griped to the guy I reached. He wasn't even going to transfer me to the right dept. at first because it was against management's regulations. I am contemplating just how loyal of an ET customer I'll be if there is no product support.

Anyway, does anyone have or know where I could find a 24 volt transformer? Neither Radio Shack or Circuit City seem to have such a thing on their websites.

Thanks for any info!

David

Voltage is half of the information you need to know for this - you also need watts or amps to determine the amount of power that should be flowing to the device to run and at what frequency. I find units in electrical theory to be especially confusing because they're almost used interchangeably where the layperson sees them, but really they're got distinct but partially redundant meanings... It reminds me of customers coming to me at work and saying they think their computer needs more gigabytes. :/
Anyways, I have lots of transformers around if you can find out more about the current you need, or I have some friends at work that I might be able to convince to build one. Can you find something that fits the power plug on the fogger? (Even if you know it won't work - and don't turn it on to test.)
For a given power supply, not all plugs use the same internal/external diameter, so sometimes you have to do some surgery to use a transformer that should work in terms of the current it puts out. Otherwise, you might have to do some tricky wiring and put it on an inline switch or your own connector. Still, nothing you can't do in an afternoon with $20 and a trip to Radio Shack. You're not working with enough power to be at dire risk, as far as I understand - though you should probably get the opinions of a few more experienced engineering/electrical types before taking my word on that part - and it's simple stuff; the hardest part might be getting the case of the fogger apart in the event that you really do have to change the plug.
Also, I believe that 24 volt is used in some classes of automobiles and other portable combustion engines, so you might look around at an auto parts store. (Just checked - trucks, RVs and boats. Not sure if you want this thing hooked up with jumper cables though.)
~Joe

Thanks, Joe! I'll try to find out something somehow. Haven't given up yet.

Voltage is half of the information you need to know for this - you also need watts or amps to determine the amount of power that should be flowing to the device to run and at what frequency.

I know, I asked and they couldn't tell me that either. I sent a complaint off to their customer service. I work in customer service (rating the reps for companies all over the US from AK to NC) and know how calls are supposed to be handled. They did extremely poor; never took my name, thanked me for my business, or asked if there was anything else they could help me with before ending the call. It all around stunk.

David

I thought I recalled you being familiar with these sorts of things, but I figured I'd mention it so you didn't blow up your great freebie (or set your house ablaze) on my account. Is it like the fogger models that they sell now? You could always go to a store where they carry them. I doubt they come in sealed packages, so perhaps you could peek inside and try the current that the present model likes. Otherwise I think the next easiest thing to do would be to clean the fogger out really well, find a power supply that will make it turn on without appearing to overheat, and ask your friend to take a look at it running and get her opinion as to whether or not it's running as normal. Guess-and-check from there.
If you're brave, you could take it apart and maybe be able to figure it out by looking at the parts and how they're connected... For me, at least, that's a project that could end up taking a long time... :D
I think I've seen switchable power supplies before, but they're expensive. Like, really expensive. They're probably marketed towards diagnostic professionals, and not just people who can't figure out what kind of power their appliances use and want to try guessing.
Best luck,
~Joe

Is it like the fogger models that they sell now?

It appears to be the current model from what I've seen of them.

You could always go to a store where they carry them. I doubt they come in sealed packages, so perhaps you could peek inside and try the current that the present model likes.

LOL Great minds think alike. A family member was going out today and I sent it with them to see if they could look inside a box and see any ratings on the transformer and perhaps try it out. :)

If you're brave, you could take it apart and maybe be able to figure it out by looking at the parts and how they're connected...

I know that there are different ratings to tell the whole story of which power supply to use and I can do some simple household wiring, but I don't think I'm that well off as to be able to look at something of that nature and tell.

I think I've seen switchable power supplies before, but they're expensive. Like, really expensive.

I think I've seen some that are 12v, 24v, and maybe 36v output with various watts as well, but yes, they are expensive.

They're probably marketed towards diagnostic professionals, and not just people who can't figure out what kind of power their appliances use and want to try guessing.

Right, probably not a good idea to just go switching one around on one appliance. LOL

David

Back