Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have live food cultures?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bred leos too. Were your eggs fertile or just didn't hatch? I always got one good egg and one bad egg. Had two boys and then decided I didn't want to breed anymore. Didn't want to sell them to homes who wouldn't keep in touch.

Cichlids are cool. I love the parrot ones!

Bought a female Betta. The boys like her, but no bubble nest! I had two batches of Angels, but then mom and dad decided their eggs were tasty!

Will do on the worms!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live foods are great, they seem to inspire breeding in fishes. Once I started feeding my killifishes live foods, I was breeding killies. I initially got them live foods just as a treat and when I saw how it affected them I decided to keep feeding it to them and they spawned all the time. I raised BBS for the fry but bought live foods at the good LFS in my area. They always had assorted live aquatic foods depending upon time of year. Killies also love fruitflies, other fishes probably would like them and small crickets too. Crickets and fruitflies are very easy to breed as feeders. Fish like that thrashing at the waters surface from the bugs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clue: i had little luck with brine shrimp maybe towards when i get them grown a bit, heard they fatten baby bettas up , though its like after the first couple weeks

plantea: yeah i was thinking on doing the cichlids, im not entirely sure what i will be doing, all i know is i have a 30 gallon, and a 55 gallon, i bred my bettas in the 20gallon long i have but ive turned that into a propagation chamber for cps. so they will probably move up to the 30 which is better.

SGcyn69: they might not have gotten fertilized, i knew that the female was sort of the dominant one in the tank , though according to my aunt she is probably the least dominant in her new home.

as for the bettas, i increased water temp, fed live food, and provided a place for the bubble nest to be built, actually i think i had luck with using the half a styrofoam cup, though they also appreciated live plants, or even float leaves on the surface. i found keeping humidity high in the tank a necessity, its important to keep the nests from falling apart, and to make sure the babies dont start life breathing dry air. just bad for their immune systems at the age. Also i didn't have a probablem with the male eating the babies , it was a good father, once the female lays the eggs there is the 24-36 hour hatching period, and then in the book i had it said to keep the male in for about a day or so after they hatch, because he will pick up the babies that fall from the nest. its actually really cool fish to breed, haha. you take the male out when the babies start to swim horisontally.

i've never tried angels before, i am pretty new to the egg layers i mean the only fish i've bred that lay eggs are i believe the bettas, which aren't common egg layers seeing as they lay in a bubble nest.

swords: haha i bred crickets when i was breeding geckos the only problem is they were in my room so all night i heard a stupid chirping, yes they sound nice when they are outside and far away, but when they are in the same room and there is only one of them, it annoyed me so much that some times i actually hunted the female down to feed it to my geckos haha. which reminds me of when they were little and i dont know if anyone else has had the experience but my geckos played tug a war with a cricket before. feel bad for the cricket but it was interesting

-----------------------------------------

cool nice to see what everyone else is doing. so i think im definitely going to try the bettas again and ill keep everyone updated the best i can. at the moment cichlids seem like the fish i might breed in the 55, but are there any other things that might be fun? the other option was to just skip the breeding.

i was also interested in getting small collections of water plants for the tanks too.
    ~anacharis
    ~hornwort~my fish loved this plant
    ~duckweed
    ~water hyacinth/lettuce
    ~not sure what else

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have anacharis! If it's legal to ship them, I'll give you a few 6 inch strands. They might some with some Daphnia, too.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dustin:

BBS are easy to hatch, but I have never tried to grow them larger. I have the little black cube with the clear tube on top and I just used 2 tablespoons of salt for saltwater fish and some eggs. The eggs need to be fairly fresh though and not old. My Angel fry LOVED it!

Sounds like your female leo fell to the bottom of the totem pole when she moved in with your aunt!

Ok, Bettas sound too complicated to breed Nevermind then! I think I'll just let them live out their lives as pets!

Angels are easy. As long as they are old enough and you feed them well they will lay eggs. Mom and dad care for the eggs and fry for a bit. It's pretty interesting to watch! Babies are so teeny weeny and then they grow big and it's so neat to watch them change!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try spawning or putting your bettas in very green (algae) water with a lot of live plants, in a bigger tank. Remove the male after they hatch....the babies should find enough tiny food to eat until they are big enough to eat the baby brine and even tiny flakes.

Convict cichlids are extemely easy to breed.....too easy. They aggressively defend the young, but they are fun to watch. Not a lot of demand for the young, though, since they are so easy to breed. Still, I have a bunch of them in one tank. I have antoher tank in my office, a 10 gallon, with guppies in it....a nice lyretail strain.

I have bred angels and killifish in the past but not time for it now. I used to raise microworms and fruit flies and white worms in the past also but don't have any right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have scuds, but those were too easily eaten and I had none left by the end of the summer. Dustin, what bettas are you breeding? Halfmoons ,Plakats, Crowntails, Dragons? I will soon be breeding Halfmoon Plakats, Halfmoons, and Dragons also wild bettas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've always wanted to spawn some betta simplex or betta albimarginata. drool....
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast