Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N. Talangensis

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you looked around searching the forum about this, you would find some posts about how fertilizing will produce leaves but sacrifice pitchers. Apparently the plant doesn't bother producing pitchers as it is already "fed" sufficiently.
    If you want pitchers, perhaps cut back on the fertilizer and you may see some.
    [Of course, other variables may be responsible, so please, no children need to correct any errors!]

By the way, I haven't looked around recently, but is the cost of a Talangensis really the same as that of a Truncata or Khasiana? Prices sure do seem to change quickly.

Oh, SG... What's Maxsea?
    For this and other repeatedly asked questions, simply type "Maxsea" in the "search" area, and find more posts & info about it than you can possibly imagine!
    Last edited by GrowinOld; 04-12-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: update more info
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowinOld View Post
    If you looked around searching the forum about this, you would find some posts about how fertilizing will produce leaves but sacrifice pitchers. Apparently the plant doesn't bother producing pitchers as it is already "fed" sufficiently.
    If you want pitchers, perhaps cut back on the fertilizer and you may see some.
    [Of course, other variables may be responsible, so please, no children need to correct any errors!]
    I think feeding has induced pitchering on my Talangensis. I have no shortage of pitchers and my pitchers grow as big as the leaves do. Trust me, I've read up on it as much as possible and read all the "feeding" stickys. I'm using it at twice the recommended dosage that Peter suggested and member JensB uses full strength which is 3 times on his neps, helis and cephs with no penalties. I don't get big floppy leaves either. I'm just selling it because I don't particularly find anything to love about it yet and I know it's sought after. N. Truncata and Khasiana are cheap plants, but I don't want to buy anymore plants than I have, so whoever is trading me is getting a wicked deal.

For example, Ventricosa pitcher differences in size:

The one on the left hasn't even developed it's coloration yet. Each pitcher is a week apart and I don't see any signs of overfeeding at all.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,
    Sorry, the way others were talking about it, I thought pitcher-ing was an issue.
    I also feed my neps, and started the practice 20 years ago because I didn't know I "shouldn't" (as per a lot of opinions back then!). Nice to see opinions changed over time!

Anyway, I also wasn't sure, as the original pics you posted for the plant in the foreground only showed undeveloped pitchers (and I assumed the plant in the foreground was the Talang you were wanting to trade off), and so I again thought the issue was (as people brought up) the lack of pitchers production/developing into maturity.

Sorry for the error. Glad to hear you are happy with the results you are getting.

Good luck. Hope you can trade it off for something more to your liking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Chris,

I am spraying the maxsea onto the leaves of my N.Raff. weekly at the full strength (1 tsp per gallon). But I didn't see any speed up compared to its previous growth speed. Shall I increase the frequency of spraying? How frequently do you spray the maxsea on leaves, and pitcher feeding, and watering with maxsea? Thank you.
    My Grow-List and Want-List
    If you know other unique plants that can walk, can talk, can sing, or can eat people, please tell me and I definitely want to get one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries GrowingOld. Man everyone is so courteous here. On my other forum people were getting banned for being totally irritating lol.

Zhill, MS at full strength is 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons). I haven't seen your growing conditions, N. Raff is a crazy fast grower normally from what I've heard.

I feed twice a month, lately I've been doing it weekly for fun on some of my ventricosa cuttings for 3 weeks now and they have these gigantic leaves, but still pitcher. My take is that you can feed plenty as long as you're providing a lot of light so the plants can metabolize the nutrients.

Maxsea isn't the only fertilizer I've used with success, I used Better-Gro at 1/2 strength as well with and without seaweed extract added. Better gro is actually really good with seaweed in it. I've only used MS for about a month now but the results were apparent within a couple weeks.

Seaweed contains a lot of growth hormones and micro-nutrients that help a plant along. I use it in all my hydroponics with great results. Seaweed extract by itself is 0-0-1 so it's recommended use is as a supplement to feeding. I also grow monster 3-4lb tomatoes and eggplants with seaweed + fish emulsion. It's actually one of my hobbies!

Anyways Zhill, I haven't really spoken to you too much on the forums, but you need to access your Raff's needs first really. I'm not trying to preach here, but to process any fertilizer, your plants need a lot of light and be at their ideal growing ranger of temperatures to metabolize any nutrients.

What is your light setup, humidity, and where do you grow your plants? I haven't grown CP's for more than a year but I'll try to help out.

Now as for how I use it, I water normally, spray the leaves, and pitcher fill 3/4. Don't pitcher fill more than once because on my plants the ones I pitcher filled every time will get a brown ring around the midsection as you can see in that last Ventricosa picture. That tells the pitcher to cut off nectar production because its had enough. The nutrients must have built up to a high level. The plant didn't suffer though. I use a 2tsp concentration. Foliar feeding doesn't do much unless you have a focused solution. Blood meal alone is good for this.

I will tell you to not try 2tsp right off the bat. I would use a 1tsp solution thru the soil and pitchers and if you like what you see, you can up the ante.

One last thing, dude just make a thread here or PM me, I'd like to keep this thead about my trade offers and my plant although I'm very happy that everyone is interested in my plants!
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris,
    I am a little confused now,
    on the thread: What are some Nepenthes you just cant seem to get right?:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=121826

You wrote: (Post #22)
    Does anybody want my talangensis then lol. Based on what I found on this forum, I have little to no hope for it at all. I got it for the same price as my Alata no less which grows circles around it. I understand what people say when it's a slow grower, 1 month and no sign of even pitchering. I have one new leaf. I have no idea how some of you guys do it. Fertilizer or not, this thing is slow. Wish I had some pitchers on it to feed.

But here you corrected me by saying:
    I think feeding has induced pitchering on my Talangensis. I have no shortage of pitchers and my pitchers grow as big as the leaves do....

So what is going on? I stood corrected, but now I don't understand what you are saying, as your posts seem to conflict each other.
    (I am getting by on 4 hours sleep in the past 2 days, so I am sure I am just not understanding something simple, but it would be nice to know what the situation really is. If you have no shortage of it pitchering, why do you say "1 month and no sign of even pitchering".)

I know I may be interpreting things incorrectly, especially in my current state of mind, but in one post you are implying that the plant isn't doing well, and in the other, that it is doing great! Maybe someone can tell me if it reads this way or not to them too. We are talking about Talangensis in both... and there isn't mention of a second Talangensis plant....

Oh Well, I need a nap. This is all too much for me to understand!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The N. Talangensis I was posting about I received about a month prior to joining the forums and making that post. In the month I've had it, it was the only plant in my shipment to not have made a single pitcher! I thought that I simply was not growing it correctly. Now that I have confirmed that I have a healthy and well-growing plants albeit very slow, I am just trying to get rid of it.

Here it is right now. The most rightward tendril buried itself in my other plant's pot. When I removed some of the LFS, I can definitely confirm it is swelling and will pitcher within the next couple weeks.

When I stated that I think feeding induced pitchering, I meant that after it's growth spurt following feed, the tendrils started to show some growth in length and at the ends. When I said I have no shortage of pitchers and the pitchers grow as big as the leaves, I was referring to the defense of my fertilization techniques on ALL my plants since I showed a picture of my Veitchii x Platychila which showed huge leaves compared to when I didn't feed.

Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You nep is not pitchering because of the fert...se vraev post...we share the same experience, minus the temp range which for me is a bit higher.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast